Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Can the CG-1500 Enclosure Be Improved?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Can the CG-1500 Enclosure Be Improved?

As most are aware, the CG-1500 and it's variant designs are the go-to controller for enclosure mounting for a wide variety of controller types. That said, it has some issues given that it isn't designed exactly for our community (it is a CATV housing) - some of those issues are:

* Lack of 3/4" or 1" Knock-outs for cable clamps or a good clamping system for outgoing cables
    * Less than optional mounting methods (tabs outside the box, etc)
    * No method for mounting a fan for exhaust when needed
    * Less than ideal nesting for lower cost shipping
    * Better options for enclosure locking
    * Options for labelling or controller indication markings
    * Unpredictable sourcing issues and lead times (mainly a vendor issue) and single source dependency
    * Lack of visual options (clear doors for seeing controller LED's and LCD's)
    * Lack of options for harsh environments (salt water, high humidity, etc) / gaskets

I'm considering development of a community specific controller for 2016 and would like to see if there is sufficient demand to have a 15-20k mold build and a container or two of these enclosures shipped over from China. I'd love to get feedback on what you do and don't like about the CG-1500 enclosure and how you think it could be improved or what should stay the same.

Thanks,
    David
    HolidayCoro.com

2. Likes MatthewM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can the CG-1500 Enclosure Be Improved?

David, I think you have done a good job identifying the shortcoming of the CG1500. I would love something in this size that has much better capabilities for the external wiring and a clear top would be great..

Post Thanks / Like

Is someone could create an adapter ring where the bottom half of two CG-1500 could be sandwich together, then you would have tons of room.

5. Likes Robo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

for mounting plates, I would like the lid hole spacing to be the same as the rear spacing, or just mould in a pair of clips to hold a mounting plate in.

I've been frustrated with taking cables in and out, besides your knockouts for clamping, an option to have a split foam that one half was on the lid and one half on the bottom that would pinch around the cables when it closes.

Perhaps a spot for a temp sensor to clip into, a couple of controllers support them.

Post Thanks / Like

Direct shipping from China to the UK would help me out lol

And everything else you have mentioned

Stephen
    2016 pixel power RAF Wittering soon to be RAF Akrotiri
    Second new house in 12 months

Post Thanks / Like

My updates to the CG-1500
    Slave 1.jpg screen intake for the fan Slave 3.jpgSlave 4.jpgCG-1500.jpgSlave 7.jpg
    I also added a rubber gasket in the groove. The kind that holds screens in their frames. The clip that holds the door closed can no longer be used, only the bolt, because of the added thickness of the rubber gasket.
    Last edited by stallionent; 06-30-2015 at 09:02 AM.

9. Likes iflights, pixelpuppy, NkySpike65 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Room for dual PS and controller

Post Thanks / Like

Dave, The deep-ness of the box would be something I would keep in mind when designing a new one. When I built up my 1500 for my matrix, I had what I considered to be a standard amount of hardware (an e682, a PI, an ethernet switch, and a power supply), yet I was very limited on room. Due to needing to mount the power supply on the curved lid, I had to be smart how I laid things out (the depth changes due to the curved lid). If you had a flat (or less curved lid), it would allow for more options. It might not look slick, but extra room at a good price for something that is going to be hidden is fine by me!
    ~Jason
    [URL]http://www.tooz.us[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Center marks for drilling our own holes? holes complete.jpg deeper box would add another row of holes.
    Step drill I used step drill.jpg
    Last edited by stallionent; 06-30-2015 at 08:18 AM.

13. Likes mrloksmith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stallionent View Post
    My updates to the CG-1500
    Slave 1.jpg screen intake for the fan Slave 3.jpgSlave 4.jpgCG-1500.jpgSlave 7.jpg
    I also added a rubber gasket in the groove. The kind that holds screens in their frames. The clip that holds the door closed can no longer be used, only the bolt, because of the added thickness of the rubber gasket.
    For the fan - a few questions come up:

* Should it be a AC or DC based fan
    * Is there any "standard" mounting hole pattern for fans, such as used on PC cases?
    * Would a pre-formed knock out along with bosses for mounting be sufficient for such a design?

On a side note, another vendor who also sells CG-1500's has indicated that they might be increasing pricing and MOQ's...So does this mean a future price increase coming down the line for end-users?

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast