Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 20W Flood RGB LED driver board (WS2811)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 20W Flood RGB LED driver board (WS2811)

Yep. That fixed them! Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Rob,

I just ordered 6 of your 20W boards/LEDs. It appears that previous links to flood housings lead to vendors without product. Do you have any updated enclosure vendors to suggest?

Thanks,
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Hey @RobG - we were chatting via PM but your mailbox is full again

So I got a handful of the 20W kits from you, but noticed flickering on the first one I've assembled. I double-checked the connections and everything seems ok. You advised me to turn down the voltage on the PS to 22V and try again.

When I did, the LED came on stable - but as soon as I connected the controller into the mix, I got flickering big time. (Note - I'm not sure if this was the case when the PS was at 24V).

Currently I have a 24V @ 22V PS feeding the flood via a 2-wire power injection pigtail. This feeds into a 4-to-3 wire T pigtail that connects to the flood. The other end of that 3-wire goes over into an ESPixelStick I'm using for testing. Only the data line comes out of that device into the 3-wire pigtail. The ESPixelStick is fed from a separate 12V PS.

I'm wondering if this is a grounding issue? The grounds are not tied together on the DC side of the power supplies. Only common ground is from the 120V source.

-Carter
    -----------
    2016 - 1st year - 2k pixles, 16 ch SSR (Falcon F16v2/Renard)

Post Thanks / Like

Default 20W Flood RGB LED driver board (WS2811)

Hi, yes, all GNDs have to be tied together, DCs and controller.

Post Thanks / Like

Bingo, that was it. Thanks!
    -----------
    2016 - 1st year - 2k pixles, 16 ch SSR (Falcon F16v2/Renard)

Post Thanks / Like

I just built the first of my RobG 20W RGB WS2811 flood kits, and I'm even more confused than usual. The assembly docs show a v4 board, and mention a v5 with updated pictures coming soon, but my boards claim to be v8! There are no test points, but everything else was similar enough to v4 that I think I assembled it right.

I'm trying to drive it with an ESPixelStick, powered by a 24V power supply (putting out closer to 23 according to my POS multimeter) but so far I get nothin. No smoke, but no light either.

- Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Dan,

I've ordered some of these 20 watt kits, but haven't gotten them yet. Still, I (or someone else) might be able to help you. Can you post a high resolution picture of the front and back of your assembled board?

-Robert

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help, hopefully these are good enough to be useful.

front.jpg
    back.jpg

I'm guessing that the LED isn't soldered on correctly, or that I shouldn't have left C3 out (thought it was optional) or both.

- Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Your LED is soldered the wrong way. New batch of LEDs has different color order. Red should be on the outside. I will update my wiki page as soon as possible.
    Also, install C3, it will save you some trouble.
    Last edited by RobG; 10-17-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Rob,

Jut got my shipping notice for the boards I ordered - can't wait to get them! A few questions for you:

1. Where do these LED's come from? They look like they might be pulls from other products.
    2. Do you have the signalling rate set to 400khz or 800khz?
    2. Why is C3 needed? You're (lightly) filtering the data line with that cap... I haven't seen that done on other products using the ws2811. The data sheet recommends a 33 ohm resistor on the input line to help with reflection and spike protection, and adafruit goes so far as to use a 470 ohm resistor for the same purposes. (Edit: I see now that you have a 33-ohm resistor on ws2811 input).

-Robert
    Last edited by rhildinger; 10-17-2017 at 04:31 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast