Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drain strainer hook head

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Drain strainer hook head

The bin for the 8in was empty. I'll call around and see if another store has them. Thank you for the information!
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

That is one of the most creative, yet professional looking bits of wizardry I've seen in a long time. I hate how wide my hook head is, and it took me a long time to custom build. I really like this idea! Thank you for sharing.
    Nick

Post Thanks / Like

What was the total cost? Great idea!

Post Thanks / Like

The strainer was $10. The hooks were just under $.50/eaI believe, so $8 for 16. The hook comes with a regular nut but I bought a box of Hex Lock nuts to use lock nuts on the whole thing for like $3.50. The flanges I had, so not 100% sure how much those would be but I am guessing about $10 for both. So overall about $31.50 as is (not painted). Of course there is taxes and sales that can raise or lower it, but that would be a decent estimate.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the 8in has 32 holes. Now another toy. ;-)
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

For those who stumble upon this.. Menards still carries the strainer used to build this. 8-7/8” one has 30 holes on the outer perimeter. Can’t beat it for $14! I used carabiners instead of hooks so they are a little more secure, they also came in red and green so that’s a plus! $50 for the strainer, flange, a 4” pipe section, and the clips. I plan to slip the pipe section on top of my vertical pole.
    0974A171-E950-47B6-97D6-F221766CE738.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by th182 View Post
    For those who stumble upon this.. Menards still carries the strainer used to build this. 8-7/8” one has 30 holes on the outer perimeter. Can’t beat it for $14! I used carabiners instead of hooks so they are a little more secure, they also came in red and green so that’s a plus! $50 for the strainer, flange, a 4” pipe section, and the clips. I plan to slip the pipe section on top of my vertical pole.
    0974A171-E950-47B6-97D6-F221766CE738.jpg
    That’s great! Love the carabiner twist! Can’t believe someone dug my post after three years too.

Post Thanks / Like

I've said this before, and don't know how many people have actually taken note....Plumbing Suppliers! I've found have a rather large selection of things that are not only perfectly suited for uses in our hobby (completely using them differently than intended), but they are often of high, commercial grade quality and construction. Of course, it's not going to have everything, but they tend to have so many specialty products you won't typically find at a traditional store, or if you do, the version there is not a great quality. A lot of us make use of various thread floor flanges, fittings of cast iron, iron pipe, galvanized steel, fasteners, pex and associated tools/fittings/parts, specialty and various types of pvc including thin wall etc... the list goes on, and these examples barely scratch the surface. These would be the places where plumbers, gasfitters, sprinklerfitters etc would usually purchase their stock (Gasp! they don't usually shop at lowe's or home depot unless it's for fixtures or quickie/convenience jobs). I absolutely recommend everyone stop by one of these places and have a look, you may be surprised to see something on the shelf you never thought of, but that sets off the lightbulb in your head and a smile.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by imbluenote View Post
    That’s great! Love the carabiner twist! Can’t believe someone dug my post after three years too.
    I did a google image search of the forum for “tree topper” and yours jumped out at me. So simple and yet crazy effective! I was worried I’d have to bust out the welder and get creative. But you saved me time and money! So thanks for the idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast