Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drain strainer hook head

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drain strainer hook head

I am building about a 9ft gece pixel tree this year. Since my tree isn't going to be very tall I didn't want a very wide hook head at the top. Not sure what made me think of it, but I thought of using a cast iron drain strainer.

Low and behold menards carries a 8 in strainer that has 32 holes around the circumference of the strainer evenly spaced. I am using 16 strings on James' mounting strips and the spacing between the holes on the strainer is perfect. I got 5/16" j hooks and lock nuts to hold the hooks in place. The flat of the strainer is the top and the bottom is the concave part of the strainer hole which the lock nut nestles in nicely.
    To mount to the pole the bottom has a 1 1/4 in pipe flange and the top is a 3/4 in flange for the tree topper.
    Overall it probably cost about the same (maybe a little less if something is on sale or they have their 11% rebate thing at menards) but a good option since the holes are already drilled and evenly spaced. Also it is a local option so no shipping costs (though I guess there would be sales tax) or time worries if it is close to show time. Plus this is DIYC right?!

Last edited by imbluenote; 06-03-2015 at 03:02 PM. Reason: corrected size of strainer to 8"

2. Thanks mschell thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Drain strainer hook head

Great thinking!! I like it a lot.
    John

Post Thanks / Like

I used the same hooks for years. I mounted them going up with the hook facing in. My thought was it was least likely for the strings to come off it if things got loose or something broke.
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea!
    [url]http://www.facebook.com/LightsOnGildayCourt[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

I like it!
    That's a feature not a bug.
    There's no charge for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skunberg View Post
    I used the same hooks for years. I mounted them going up with the hook facing in. My thought was it was least likely for the strings to come off it if things got loose or something broke.
    I thought about that. It would be a little cleaner look, I just wasn't sure when the pipe was screwed in how much of a pain it would be getting the strands in there. Plus there will be some tension on the strands at the bottom so they won't be flapping in the wind (I hope!). I will try it though when testing time comes around.

Thanks to every one for the kind words as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by imbluenote View Post
    I thought about that. It would be a little cleaner look, I just wasn't sure when the pipe was screwed in how much of a pain it would be getting the strands in there. Plus there will be some tension on the strands at the bottom so they won't be flapping in the wind (I hope!). I will try it though when testing time comes around.

Thanks to every one for the kind words as well.
    I used wide zip ties as a loop to put over the hooks so the strings didn't touch the topper. The drain covers at my menards here only have 30 holes :-(
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm..it was a while ago when I bought it, maybe they changed their design? I am pretty sure it was Sioux chief model 846-s19pk. I have to go to menards soon I'll check the ones here.

Post Thanks / Like

This. is. brilliant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skunberg View Post
    The drain covers at my menards here only have 30 holes :-(
    I had to go this morning to get a battery for the garage door opener (it's always something!), and checked out the strainer.

I was wrong on the size I used, it is the 8" NOT the 8 7/8" strainer. The correct part number is 8" Sioux Chief Cast Iron Strainer part # 846-S17PK menards sku 685-3798 for what I used. I counted twice to make sure and it had 32 holes. I agree that the 8 7/8" has 30, which does seem counter intuitive given the large diameter. Though I suppose it would work depending on the number of strings and if you are during a full tree or 180/270 deg tree.
    Last edited by imbluenote; 06-03-2015 at 03:03 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast