Thread: 2 types of pixels, same string - Is This Possible?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2 types of pixels, same string - Is This Possible?

I have a series of "north poles" that have two different ws2811 pixels in them.
    The top has two disks that have 3 LEDs each driven by a single WS2811 chip.
    The sides have WS2811 pixel strips (30 LEDs/10 ICs per meter).

Inside V3 they are assigned as:
    2 LED disks are channels 1 through 6
    The pixel strip has 25 Pixels (75 channels) that are assigned to channels 7 through 81.

Whenever I send a command to the whole pole to turn on white everything works.
    Whenever I send a command to the whole pole to turn on blue, it works.
    Whenever I send a command to the whole pole to turn on green, the ball turns on green and the pole turns on red.
    Whenever I send a command to the whole pole to turn on red, the ball turns on red and the pole turns on green.

Essentially what I am saying is that the pixel disks are true RGB.
    The pixel strip is actually GRB.

Normally I would make this change in the controller.
    Unfortunately these need to be on the same controller output.

Is there any way in Vixen to tell it that "such and such" pixels are different? (GRB instead of RGB)

I've done this with distinct lights (read dumb channels), but not with two different RGB pixel groups.

The picture shows the pole being sent the command to turn everything on "Red".

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by algerdes; 05-28-2015 at 07:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2 types of pixels, same string - Is This Possible?

Note that I have setup a new color section, called it GRB. Unfortunately the colors are considered "independent" and do not mix.
    The true need is down in the "They can be any color: they are full RBG and mix to make any color."

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Addendum...
    I have tried to create a new color breakdown. I can take the existing GRBW, delete the W, then attach this to an individual channel. Unfortunately I cannot create this for use on other channels, therefore I have to do it manually on each entry. Not good with the number of channels this will need to be done to.

Any OTHER ideas?
    Last edited by algerdes; 05-28-2015 at 08:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a very simple problem. The strips are usually GRB and the individual strands of larger individual pixels (LIP) are usually RGB. This means that when you tell the pole to turn on color #1, you get green on the strip and red on the LIP. Channel #2 is Red on the strip and green on the LIP and channel 3 is blue on both. White is simply all lights on so you would not see an issue with that.

You need to solve this in the controller or in the patching. I have added the choice of RGB...BGR in the color mixing menu but the team has not yet agreed on a presentation method.

For now
    Make all of your pixels full color mixing
    set your controller to output in GRB (It will translate the RGB from vixen to GRB)
    Manually repatch the LIPs to swap the Red and Green outputs to the channels going to your controller. Since the controller will swap them back, you should be good to go.
    Last edited by MartinMueller2003; 05-28-2015 at 08:20 PM. Reason: More Info

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Martin.

Edited to reflect your statements above. I vote for the choices in the Color Handling section of Configure.

Post Thanks / Like

Is this still the suggested solution, or does 3.2 have the ability to choose the color order? I have a window frame built and after I attached all the pixels, I noticed a handful are BGR but all the others are RGB. I can't fix it in my controller because it's all one output.

Post Thanks / Like

The way I get around the color issue is to change the color in the sequencing. Yea it's inconvenient but beats changing all the patching.