Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem Installing Vixen

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Problem Installing Vixen

I'm new to this forum. I recently tried to download and install Vixen. The download goes good but when I try to install the software package it bombs out and does not load. I do have Netframe v 2 installed. I tried this on my computer at work as well as a home desktop and laptop with the same results. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

What does the error say when you try to install?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi KC. Thanks for the response. The error message is "Vixen install has encountered a problem and needs to close." I am running XP Pro w/ SP2 on all my machines.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Did you extract it from the zip file first or did you try to install it from the expanded zip file? If you did the later - it wont work - you need to extract if first.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your reply. I downloaded the zip file and expanded it with winzip. That created an install file. When I try to execute the install file it gives me the error and stops. I tried downloading a fresh copy but the results are the same. I'm at a loss as to why the install fails. Do you know of another location that I could download from? or would you be able to email me the zipped download file?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mike_k
    I downloaded the zip file and expanded it with winzip. That created an install file. Mike

not quite correct, opening the zip file in Winzip does not create an install file. It just unzips it so you can see it. While some files can be opened from an expanded zip file, I do not think you can run an install program. I am not software or hardware savy, but expanding is not the same as extracting. Something to do with how the file is saved, VIXEN is looking for files and cannot find them where or how it is expecting them.

Recommend you do the following: Open the file in WINZIP, then EXTRACT it to some directory, then close the WINZIP application, go to explorer, find the files you extracted, run install.exe from there - you should have no problems.

Your error statements sound similar to mine when I tried to install from WINZIP. I applied my solution above and it worked. Let me know if this works.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Steve,

I downloaded a fresh copy of Vixen. I expanded the zip file with winzip. That gave me and install exe file, an install dll file, a release notes file, a binary dat file and a control dat file. I tried to run the install exe file from the expanded file location. That did not work. It acts as if it is missing some key part. I have tried this with virus protection both on and off. I'm lost for a reason. Just a note, I saw a link somewhere on this forum for Vixen 2.02 and tried that with the same reuslts so I'm convinced I'm doing something wrong but I don't know what.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,
    This is an interesting problem. I would suggest you fully extract the zip files onto your desktop so they can be easily found. Once they are fully extracted then I would try the install again. Sometimes computers are funny, they work one way for some and for no apparent reason they will not work the same way for others. Try fully expanding the files and see how that goes.

Good Luck
    Thanks,
    Brian, your friendly site Admin.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, Brian is correct you need to extract those files to a folder on your computer then run the install. If you just expand it you can see all the files but they are still compressed in the zip folder.

Edit: Just remember the folder you extract it to will be the location it is set up in.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I received instructions from steve and a host of others and finally have it working. Thanks again to all.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast