Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DM-10x DMX decoders with custom firmware

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: DM-10x DMX decoders with custom firmware

With signal loss detection I mean the "rainbow" effect 5 seconds after DMX signal loss.
    Decoder pcb is the same as in your pictures, a YX-103 with STM8S003F3P6, red is connected to pin 20, green pin 14, blue pin 13. I use a ST-Link V2 programmer as suggested together with STVP.
    The other side is a RaspberryPi with ola and a MAX485 connected to a FTDI USB-serial converter.

DM-103-003.HEX
    < PROGRAM MEMORY reading completed -- [Device Checksum 18CE2]
    < DATA MEMORY reading completed -- [Device Checksum 4]
    < OPTION BYTE reading completed -- [Device Checksum 0]

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, I don't remember adding rainbow on signal loss in my code. My opinion is that the driver should stay put when signal is lost, otherwise you are risking lighting up your house like a Christmas tree...
    I will check and report.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Rog,
    i would like to change firmware, as i can see you already done that, did you have some schematic ? Can you give me directions or source code to help me how the DM-103 is wired (use of DMX, and FET)
    Thanks
    Serge

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, this is what you miss when you can't get here to read occasionally- i have several dozen of the dm- series controllers that i've been prepping to use for live shows for about a year- the single most annoying thing about them is that pattern they play if someone trips over and unplugs a dmx cable, or i need to reboot the computer etc.. Thanks for taking the time to make the FW- i ordered the hardware you mentioned, and will reprogram them soon.. I suspect the most annoying thing will be eclipsed at some point- once one of the controllers goes out- they're cheap so it's only a matter of time- i'll have a spare on hand, as they are, it's a big deal to fumble with the programmer instead of just plugging it in and let cascading program the address.. I had spent several days trying to get them to cascade- the only documentation i could find says that they should cascade just fine, but they never did. These are amazing controllers, especially for the price. And i had no idea the could be customized, i'll have to find out if the power can be raised- my LED's work up to 700mA/ch, so that would raise the brightness a bit. Hopefully the FW will work with the dm-101..

Thanks for making it.
    Last edited by robisais; 03-24-2017 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Because

Post Thanks / Like

Cascading may not work with the dm-101(?). The controllers mentioned so far have two sets of d+ and d-, the dm-101 only has one. That doesn't make a difference for normal dmx (i think?) because dmx is a parallel signal, so i use the one set of d-/+ pads for both in and out.
    Last edited by robisais; 03-24-2017 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Because

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know why sometimes the dm-101 is listed at 300mA, and sometimes 600mA? Are they actually adjusted? The sellers never know much about the products they sell. I've tried to ask ray a few things but he's pretty busy and never got back.. Is it possible to confirm what the ones i bought are rated at? It's the first time i've used larger (50watt) LED's, so it could be dimmer (or a bit brighter) than what they should be, i wouldn't know the difference. i wouldn't want to overdrive them (or is that possible, i'm not sure if the LED's just draw what they need, or if the controller can damage them by keeping the current higher than it's rated to. This LED is rated at 700mA per channel, it's a higher end one (not the cheap ones you find on ebay), so i think the rating is probably accurate.

The dm-101 is constant current; the dm-103 is constant voltage. Does anyone know what the difference is as far as dependability? I know that you're "supposed to" use constant current in general for LED's..

Here is a link where it's listed at 600mA
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DM-1...007042308.html

And here's one at 300mA
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DM-1...007043151.html
    Last edited by robisais; 03-24-2017 at 02:46 AM. Reason: b/c

Post Thanks / Like

Constant current is set with current sensing resistors. Both links show products with same value resistors, but that's probably because they use generic image. Value of the resistor will tell you what the current is set to (not sure what the driver is so I can't tell you the actual value.) There will definitely be two models, 300mA for single row LEDs and 600mA for two row LEDs. 700mA is maximum current, so you should go for 600mA driver.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, i see it, thanks. The dm-series are really useful and so far easy to use.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a simplified schematic of DM-103

dm-103-simple.png

Post Thanks / Like

How is that possible? How would that cascading work if it was wired up that way? All that does is repeat the exact incoming signal onto the output pads.

EDIT: got the RX/TX mixed up.. Sorry about that. Interesting that the output is actually wired into the incoming 485. I assume that's for 2 way communication for setting the addresses and such?
    Last edited by dkulp; 04-07-2017 at 11:25 AM.
    Dan Kulp

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast