Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vixen in VMWare?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vixen in VMWare?

Hello,

Has anyone tried using Vixen under VMWare? VMWare Server is now free. Server lets you run a virtual machine without displaying anything on your screen (unless you run their display console).

This could open up a whole new realm of possibilities.

VMWare Player is also free fits a different niche than the server product does.

Thanks!
    David

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vixen in VMWare?

Hi David,

Yes Vixen will run in a VMware. The problem is resources and ports (maybe).

I have had a VMware server (Linux host) running in my house for 6 months now (to cut down on the number of computers running in my closet). So I tried it and it works fine.

Note: I am only using it for testing of sequence ideas and will be using a standard windows pc to run the show. I don't plan on trusting it to run a show.

Note 2: It was tested with a USB to DMX dongle. So if using other ports you have try it out yourself.

Hope that helps

Rick R.
    Grinch 64 - Built and tested on Jan 22, 2008
    Lynx Express, Lynx, SSR4, SSR4-DMX, MR16, DMX Splitter, FreeStyle

So far no burnt fingers (but there is still hope)

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! That's exactly what I was thinking about doing. I may get brave and see how well it will run shows. I have a pretty beefy Linux box but am still putting my controllers together etc.

Thanks again!
    David

Post Thanks / Like

I use vista 64 and i use vmware with xp to run vixen and work fine with serial and printer port
    :DThanks !!

Serge

Post Thanks / Like

I ws able to run it also - didn't try the large show on it though.

Post Thanks / Like

Vixen runs sweetly under a variety of virtualisation platforms.

I run a copy under winxp using vmware fusion on my macbook pro, with a Entec DMX interface on teh Usb port.

I also have Vixen under win2k3, on a ESX 3.5 server, which will be running my production show.. the same server will also be serving up some video.. plentya grunt mindyou..

FYI, i'd recommend instead of Vmware Server, you run ESXi, which is now free as well.. Far better than vmware server and a lot more stable..

I got rid of a bunch of old clunky machines to reduce the space!!
    [B][FONT=Arial]stell[COLOR="#FF0000"]a[/COLOR][COLOR="#008000"]s[/COLOR][COLOR="#0000CD"]c[/COLOR]apes[/FONT][/B] - LED lighting solutions for the Prosumer, Commercial and Entertainment Industries.
    Doing pixels first since 2009 with [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAt6A98lXQw"]just another megatree.[/URL]
    Follow us on Facebook at [url]www.facebook.com/stellascapes[/url]
    web: [url]www.stellascapes.com[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Does ESX run atop Linux or does it have its own kernel?
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by omzig View Post
    Does ESX run atop Linux or does it have its own kernel?
    esx installs on the 'bare metal'.. ie you dont' need any other o/s to install it.
    [B][FONT=Arial]stell[COLOR="#FF0000"]a[/COLOR][COLOR="#008000"]s[/COLOR][COLOR="#0000CD"]c[/COLOR]apes[/FONT][/B] - LED lighting solutions for the Prosumer, Commercial and Entertainment Industries.
    Doing pixels first since 2009 with [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAt6A98lXQw"]just another megatree.[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Wow... that is great news. I wish that ESXi was free 6 months ago when I put my latest Linux server together. Thanks everyone for all of the helpful replies.

David

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidn70 View Post
    Wow... that is great news. I wish that ESXi was free 6 months ago when I put my latest Linux server together. Thanks everyone for all of the helpful replies.

David
    ESXi being free is very new.. They only put it out to market as 'free' on the 28 July. ESXi is quite cut down compared with the enterprise versions, and without a virtual center its quite hard to do the usefully cool things with it.. However for plain old virtualisaiton without the bells and whistles, its pretty handy.. And performannce is considerably better than the old vmware server.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast