Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What software do you use to run your light show?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What software do you use to run your light show?

Use HLS to sequence and Display, with help from XL3 for some effects an AfterEffects for video conversion onto Matrix run from HLS
    CHeers Boof63

Post Thanks / Like

Last 2 years I've sequenced on HLS. Ran the show off of FPP last year. Had video incorporated and it ran like a top. Plan to do the same this year, but the way things change with both HLS and Nutcracker who's to say where I'll be in a few months.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
    I use light show pro. It is broken though and the rewrite is due in weeks. If it continues to fail for me, moving to hls is imminent. Not sure how I'll translate everything already in LSP to HLS though.
    I believe you can use xlights to convert. It's not perfect but better than starting from scratch. IMHO don't wait for LSP as you know a total rewrite will have bugs and of course they will attack those bugs but the soonest it could be ready will be later than you want. LSP has always had the best ideas and intentions but hasn't been able to deliver.
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

I use a '3-headed monster' approach. I do most of my effects generation in XL...then I export those as an .hlsnc file and then drop it into an HLS sequence as an external PP effect.

I use HLS exclusively to handle all my wireframes (>20) and my older dumb pixel strings. I also am an old showman of sorts and I try to make my show use a close relationship between the music and the lights to draw on the emotion of the viewers. I find that while XL is a tremendous source for mass and exotic looking effects it falls short of tieing the music and lights together in the way I like to sequence. So, I use HLS on my pixels at strategic places in almost EVERY sequence to retain the look and feel of music and lights closely tied.

I've never been a big fan of these 'orchestrated' fireworks shows where there is a sound track playing in the background while fireworks explode overhead....I find that incredibly unimaginative and frankly boring. IMO if you get caught up in letting your software generate all your effects you basically end up with an electronic 'orchestrated fireworks' show......BORING! It's easy to get caught though....you can throw a whole sequence together very quickly if you just let the software take over....to sequence in the way I do you end up spending a lot of time....I use lots of short clips of XL effects interspersed with my own (think toe taping...only substitute lights)...it takes a lot of time to sequence like that.....almost as much as it did when you HAD to place every cell on/off/ramp/fade yourself........A lot of the time goes into thinking how to elicit emotion and then trial and error to get a good mix to have the best of both worlds......If you just do noting but computerized effects....why bother is the way I look at it..... I sort of compare it to listening to a CD versus attending a live concert and seeing the band interact with the crowd.....2 different experiences entirely.

So, in almost every sequence I end up with a combination of XL generated (for a visual wow) and I also have flashing lights and music tightly tied in other places.....

Once I have my sequence the way I want it in HLS....I export and run it on the RPP for 1 reason only. I have a backup system for EVERY aspect of my show but I only have 1 show computer and if it goes down my display is dead in the water.....On the other hand I have 2 RPP's.....with identical shows loaded on each. If 1 RPP goes down I have a backup already 'locked and loaded'..... And 1 night a week I switch the 2 RPPs out and run the backup RPP.

Two years ago, before I went with the RPP, I ran the show with HLS with zero problems.... But I had this little voice in my head that kept warning me that if my show computer went down that I would disappoint a lot of kids so I knew I needed a backup for the show computer.....and was thinking of building a backup computer for that purpose.....then along came the RPP......
    Last edited by Santacarl; 05-02-2015 at 03:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I use >>>>>

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah....with a lot of help from the good folks at Adobie!

BTW how do you get those spiraling letters? That's pretty cool....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Santacarl View Post
    Yeah....with a lot of help from the good folks at Adobie!

BTW how do you get those spiraling letters? That's pretty cool....
    No , The good folks at Adobe designed the application that I use to create effects .

HLS runs the show all by itself .

For the spiral letter effect I just replaced the spiral color with text .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    No , The good folks at Adobe designed the application that I use to create effects .

HLS runs the show all by itself .
    Yeah....I knew HLS runs your stuff....I was 'picking' at you for all the fancy effects you come up with using that 'spensive' software from Adobie.... Can you tell I'm jealous?

Post Thanks / Like

HLS for sequencing and show of our 5k+ pixels show.
    Started with it, worked always, didn't bother to look further :-)

I like the to trigger some effects from an external trigger so I am looking at the RasPi option but don't see it coming soon in our show....

Greetings, Robert

Post Thanks / Like

Vixen 2.3. I run no pixels at this time but plan to add a few pixel arches this year.
    I plan to run those on PX1's via wireless XBees.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast