Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's going on with Vixen 3

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's going on with Vixen 3

I've been seeing a good amount of discussion lately regarding the other sequencers out there and their new versions and features and I'm sure many people may have been wondering what's going on with vixen. So I thought I'd take some time to let you know what we're working on.
    We've got a lot going on. Back in the busy season of November and December we actually got several features and fixes done. We didn't put them out because they were way too raw and untested for general consumption during the critics season. So they got added to the queue to be merged in after Christmas. That's done and most of the bugs are worked out and we're continuing to add more cool stuff as well.
    At this point we're targeting early to mid summer for our next release. As usual, no promises on an exact date, but things are looking good so far for the earlier part of that window.
    So what's included? A Lot! Much of it is pretty mundane but very necessary for future progress. I'll start with the boring stuff.
    Vixen 3 will now use .net 4.5.2. This enables new optimizations and features. It was an easy change to get some free extra performance. The downside is that this officially ends support for windows XP. We've been discouraging XP for a while now because of certain quirkiness, but this version of the .net framework will not be available at all for windows XP and therefore vixen 3 will no longer run on XP at all.
    There's many little improvements spread throughout the app. These all came directly from your feedback during the season. Looped sequences in the editor now run more reliable. The twinkle effect is more random. The twinkle effect is also much more efficient and less likely to cause crashes on large element groups. There's various fixes in the scheduler related to memory leaks and crashing after several days of operation.
    Now for the big stuff:
    All new web interface. The web interface has been completely rewritten. It's optimized for use on mobile devices and works equally well on desktop browsers. The long waits for the element list are gone. Everything loads almost instantly now. You can see what's playing in the scheduler and stop it. You can start a new sequence playing. You can turn elements on and off or set them to turn on for a certain length of time at a certain color.
    This new web interface is built on a new web API. For advanced users, you can utilize this API to trigger vixen to perform any of the above function by calling the API from an external app of your choice.
    More stable and portable profiles. It used to be the case that external media references were added by reference to their location. All of these resources are now copied into the vixen profile folder and referenced with relative paths. This makes it much easier to move your profile from machine to machine and have it work the first time. It's important to note though that this is a point of no return. Once you use this version you absolutely cannot open your profile on a previous version of vixen. So a good backup at this point is strongly advised.
    New functionality in the library preset drag and drop. When dragging a library color or curve onto an effect that supports multiple colors or curves, you will now get a popup choice to select which color or curve to apply it to.
    New alternating effect. The alternate effect will support more than just two colors. You can define as many as you like.
    Updated streaming ACN output controller. (Aka sACN or e1.31). This is probably less important to experienced users, but it's a big help for newer users. There's also some nice stuff in here for advanced users as well. The GUI for this controller has been completely redesigned and now defaults to auto fill subsequent universes so that there's no more confusion on the start address. Each sACN controller instance can now have only one destination. That's how most people use it anyhow so we made it easier. Multicast destinations are more stable and persistent. They no longer require deactivating when you lose the lan connection or move the profile to a different computer. The user interface now has a two tab design and moves the advanced features that most people never touch to the second tab. Basic users can ignore the second tab and just set up the important stuff on the first tab. But those who need to tweak can do so on the advanced tab. The blind and priority options are now supported for the sACN protocol. Most of the existing controllers don't support these features, but they now have a reason to add it because there's now a sequencer that makes it available. The channel view of the display setup screen for an sACN controller will now show the universe and channel numbers for each individual output rather than just a sequential list of numbers. This will help to make patching easier to keep track of.
    Integrated beat and bar detection! We've long been advocating using Audacity and the Vamp Queen Mary plugins to analyze your audio and generate beat and bar tracks to import into vixen. We've now integrated these plugins directly into Vixen. You no longer need to leave vixen and use other programs to use these advanced tools. You can do it right from inside the vixen audio menu. We've also gone a step further and translated the terminology to relate more directly to music so that it makes the most sense in our context. This feature alone is very exciting!
    There's more to come as well and probably some I've forgotten. I'll keep posting here in this thread as we add more and more stuff to the upcoming release.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What's going on with Vixen 3

thanks for the updated i was wondering the same as i seen so many updated build coming out almost weekly so i knew you were buzy ..... ny the way .. its all Chinese what you explain so i will ask ... when using pi will it be easier to make it work as right now i need to make sure the number of Chanel match ,and that could be pain in a butt ,,, i hope u understand what i mean if not ,,well i will wait for the version to come out and tested it ,, also is there a way to have 2 preview ?? as my house have 2 side and 2 different profile would be awesome as i cannot find a decent picture of the hole area to work on sequence cheer and keep the good work ,,,
    Last edited by barbotte; 04-21-2015 at 07:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update Jon. It is always good to hear V3 is still headed forward.
    Thanks,
    Brian, your friendly site Admin.

Post Thanks / Like

Great news. I know that the ability to move the profile from pc to pc is going to be a hit as are the beats and bar detection.
    (1) Renard SS24
    (1) E682
    (1) Falcon Player (Running the show)
    (1) E1.31 Bridge
    (1) EDM-LCD-CS-EP
    (1) 8 Port Switch
    (12) P10 Panels

2000 Pixels
    1000 Incands

WIKI
    Become A Supporting Member

5. Likes corytcline liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There are no changes to the FPP export at this time. It will work the same as it currently does at this point. We've got some things in the works, but those are a bit farther down the line.

--Jon Chuchla--

Post Thanks / Like

I know you mentioned some changes to the nutcracker effects in the past. Will you be adding some new nutcracker effects to this release?

Thanks for the update and all the hard work!!
    2014 - pretty basic static display
    2015 - lots of Blinky Flashy
    5 x Renard SS24
    2 x Renard SS16 for singing trees
    2 x e682 for around 2000 pixels
    2016 - Up to around 12,000 pixels and still wanting more.

Post Thanks / Like

Jon,

One area that XLNC added was the ability to create an arbitrary model. Are there plans for this in V3?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mharnish View Post
    I know you mentioned some changes to the nutcracker effects in the past. Will you be adding some new nutcracker effects to this release?

Thanks for the update and all the hard work!!
    There's not too much as far as viable changes to nutcracker so far. There's a bunch of changes under the hood to our nutcracker effects but overall they still look and feel the same. We are working on pixel effect improvements, but so far most of the work has been the underlying groundwork to support the new things we plan on doing. We may still see some stuff this year but probably not in the next release.

--Jon Chuchla--

Post Thanks / Like

So if I download the latest version do any of these changes exist today or do we have to wait for the summer release. We are being spoiled by the nutcracker frequent release schedule, although I do see the pros and cons of that. LOL
    Jim Nealand
    Kennesaw, Ga

Post Thanks / Like

Mind you, with all the small releases from Nutcracker, keep in mind that it's still in Beta if I'm not mistaken.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast