Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie Guide to Do It Yourself Christmas (DIYC)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Newbie Guide to Do It Yourself Christmas (DIYC)

MANOWAR....

Budude's right. It only takes a willingness to learn a couple manual skills such as soldering (piece of cake) and figuring out how to use zip ties (commonly known as cable ties). Why, when budude started, he had six thumbs and two left feet. Now he has eight thumbs but he's got the feet figured out! ()

Seriously, you don't have to know how to design the equipment. That's already been done. All you have to do is assemble it and almost all of the DIY gear presented here has pictorial assembly guides to follow. Some of the more challenging tasks are deciding what you want to do and sticking to your budget.

There is an incredible sense of accomplishment and satisfaction in building your own show, and there are literally hundreds of DIYC members who stand ready at to help at virtually every step of the way. C'mon and join the fun. You can do it.

dirk the nerkle...

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    MANOWAR....

Budude's right. It only takes a willingness to learn a couple manual skills such as soldering (piece of cake) and figuring out how to use zip ties (commonly known as cable ties). Why, when budude started, he had six thumbs and two left feet. Now he has eight thumbs but he's got the feet figured out! ()

Seriously, you don't have to know how to design the equipment. That's already been done. All you have to do is assemble it and almost all of the DIY gear presented here has pictorial assembly guides to follow. Some of the more challenging tasks are deciding what you want to do and sticking to your budget.

There is an incredible sense of accomplishment and satisfaction in building your own show, and there are literally hundreds of DIYC members who stand ready at to help at virtually every step of the way. C'mon and join the fun. You can do it.

dirk the nerkle...
    Thanks! Also, nice to see that you're local!! Any MN folks ever do meet & greets?
    [B]What does GFCI mean?[/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MANOWAR View Post
    Thanks! Also, nice to see that you're local!! Any MN folks ever do meet & greets?
    It's happened, but it's a little bit rare. We're spread so far apart (usually) that it's hard to get people together. I live in Plymouth -- western suburb of Mpls. Where are you?

The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Manowar

i can speak as a newbie on here because i have only been here a few weeks and i will say without a doubt if you read (quite a bit starting out) on here and can follow directions even somewhat they folks here will help your take care of the rest...dirknerkle and budude have already along with other have already answered many questions for me and didnt make me feel in the least bit dumb(and i am when it comes to this) i just ordered my first board and material and am fixing to start building my first controller this week...so i would definitely say you have come to the right place....im pretty sure someone on here knows about everything you could possibly ask...so come join the fun...
    [SIZE=5][FONT=palatino linotype]LANCE[/SIZE][COLOR="#FF0000"][/COLOR][/FONT]

Find me on Facebook at[COLOR="#FF0000"][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5]CHRISTMAS ON PLANTATION[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[B]2017 might look promising for a show[/B]

Post Thanks / Like

St Paul
    Last edited by MANOWAR; 06-05-2011 at 09:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FIRECOP252 View Post
    Manowar

i can speak as a newbie on here because i have only been here a few weeks and i will say without a doubt if you read (quite a bit starting out) on here and can follow directions even somewhat they folks here will help your take care of the rest...dirknerkle and budude have already along with other have already answered many questions for me and didnt make me feel in the least bit dumb(and i am when it comes to this) i just ordered my first board and material and am fixing to start building my first controller this week...so i would definitely say you have come to the right place....im pretty sure someone on here knows about everything you could possibly ask...so come join the fun...
    The good thing is that I'm still very small. I will be building my display as $$ permits. I think I am legitimately 2 years away from going full-on motion. That gives me time to learn things like "how to solder" and "how to sync music". I'm on other "display" message boards, and this one is definitely more technical than anything I've come across. Until now, I never even considered anything other than the most simple plug & play LOR unit. The thing is, I want to learn as much as I can because I have a feeling this hobby is going to be in my blood for the long haul!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't feel pressured to do any more than you want to. And this site is fairly technical, but there's lots of folks who are willing to help you out.

As for LOR vs DIY vs others....There are 3 levels, in my opinion, of folks that want motion in their lights. Mr. Christmas and similar "plug it in and it works" is level 1. LOR is plug it in, but you have to program it level 2, and DIY is build it and program it, or level 3. You can achieve the same effect with LOR or DIY, but DIY will be less expensive per channel, but require more effort on your part.

Note that some folks here will offer boards with parts kits or partially assembled. That's a little easier on the effort level, and makes it quicker to get it done. Some will offer just the PC boards, and you have to order all the parts and put it all together. It's not that hard, as dirk and brian have mentioned. There's even opportunities to buy fully built and tested boards, since folks tend to upgrade or just need to unload some stuff to buy more stuff. Watch out for those sales, and you can get started with just a little effort.

Just remember, it's a hobby, and don't get too carried away - cause it's been known to happen!

Again, welcome to DIYC!
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Hello !! I just finished building my first Renard ss24 board and performing the basic tests to make sure it is correct.
    So far all tests are good, but I am confused about how to connect the board to my laptop. I do not have a serial
    port on my laptop. I have a usb port and the phone plug-type socket (I forget the technical name !!!). I have downloaded
    and installed the Vixen software. I need basic information on how to connect the Board to my laptop. I am not computer
    illiterate, but have to admit that I need advice on the best way to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks, Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amigorick View Post
    Hello !! I just finished building my first Renard ss24 board and performing the basic tests to make sure it is correct.
    So far all tests are good, but I am confused about how to connect the board to my laptop. I do not have a serial
    port on my laptop. I have a usb port and the phone plug-type socket (I forget the technical name !!!). I have downloaded
    and installed the Vixen software. I need basic information on how to connect the Board to my laptop. I am not computer
    illiterate, but have to admit that I need advice on the best way to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks, Rick
    Hey, Rick -- welcome to DIYC!
    Connecting a PC to a Renard is pretty easy. You do need some kind of serial connection, and since your laptop does not have a serial port, you'll need a USB adapter of some kind. There are lots of USB to RS232 adapters around, and then you can just plug in a standard serial cable to the end of the adapter to the 9-pin jack on the SS24. Piece of cake. However, you may want to look into a USB to RS485 adapter instead since it will provide longer cable distances to your controller than RS232 will. Lastly, you might consider a USB to DMX adapter (another type of RS485) if you envision going the DMX control route.

The best place to find all this information is the Wiki -- there's a link to it at the top of the DIYC menu page. Lots of information there about how to make cables, info about adapters, etc.

BTW, the little phone plug type socket on your laptop is probably an ethernet network connection. Don't connect that to the SS24 -- it won't work and it could damage your laptop.

Visit the Wiki. It'll become your best friend!

Post Thanks / Like

Manowar

A year ago I was a total newby. I now have built 3 Renard SS24 and 2 SS8. I use the Vixen, It is the way to go!
    You will be suprised at how fast you will learn!! Get a 15 watt soldering iron and solder from rad shack and learn soldering
    and you can build any controller!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast