Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Cheap DIY 12mm Pixel/RGB Mounting Strips

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cheap DIY 12mm Pixel/RGB Mounting Strips

Just thought I would update/report on this. The pipe hanger strap IS a viable alternative to commercial strips. I ended up successfully using them last season. However, I will say this.... Unless you have a jig or drill press, it is VERY time consuming. Also, do NOT make the mistake of assuming that the pre drilled 1/8" holes are actually accurate and evenly spaced. I made the mistake and found out the hard way that in multiple rolls, you could get sections that were suddenly off by a bit or a lot, but even the ones that looked ok at a glance, with something like megatree where even spacing is really key to the effects, would be very obvious when lit up. Particularly if maybe it's off by a half inch, but then you kept having correct spacing, it's not one pixel that is off, it's every single one after that point

Post Thanks / Like

I'm starting to prepare my Christmas lighting.

Bought 100-Feet Strap for $15 and 7/16'' bit(about 11mm) for $3.49 from Amazon.ca using Prime account.
    Works very well, I'll post some photos later.

Link below:
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 020 View Post
    I'm starting to prepare my Christmas lighting.

Bought 100-Feet Strap for $15 and 7/16'' bit(about 11mm) for $3.49 from Amazon.ca using Prime account.
    Works very well, I'll post some photos later.

Link below:
    I'm very interested how these worked for you. I'm in Canada as well and will pull the trigger if you like them. Are you using a drill press ?
    -Nw-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by northernwarrior View Post
    I'm very interested how these worked for you. I'm in Canada as well and will pull the trigger if you like them. Are you using a drill press ?
    -Nw-
    I did these last year with the grey plastic pipe strap sold at Rona. I'm in Vancouver. Where are you northern warrior? I did these last year for my mega tree and reusing them as is for mini trees this year. You don't need anything special. A jig or drill press would have been nice, but I'll tell you what was exponentially more important..... You want a step drill bit with 7/16th size on it. Forstener would randomly bite and if it did, the clearance between the sides and hole is already quite small. It snapped the thin material or left it hanging by a thread. Not all the time, but if you have been sitting there drilling out strip and your on your 70 th hole and it snaps and looses it's structural integrity.... Lol.... It's very strong material, but yeah I must have tried probably 5 styles of bit and sizes. With the step bit, never once was un centered or had it bite or break. Because it's gradually enlarging from the middle, it's a perfect clean hole and 7/16th was by far the best size. Drill press and a jig might be good, but to be quite honest, I just hung a strip from a nail, tensioning it with one hand and hand drill step bit through the little holes as guides. You also don't have shift the material every time. If there is one thing I would really mention though, it's that while it works in the end when the strips are tensioned, the first 3/4 of the roll looked great. But as it got further in towards the middle and the wraps in the roll had a smaller diameter, the material has a tendency to fold at a hard point rather than a smooth curve. So you would have a strip that is structurally fine and looks fine when tensioned tight, but anything less tension would cause the bends to be visible. Looked like a wave pattern

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    I did these last year with the grey plastic pipe strap sold at Rona. I'm in Vancouver. Where are you northern warrior? I did these last year for my mega tree and reusing them as is for mini trees this year. You don't need anything special. A jig or drill press would have been nice, but I'll tell you what was exponentially more important..... You want a step drill bit with 7/16th size on it. Forstener would randomly bite and if it did, the clearance between the sides and hole is already quite small. It snapped the thin material or left it hanging by a thread. Not all the time, but if you have been sitting there drilling out strip and your on your 70 th hole and it snaps and looses it's structural integrity.... Lol.... It's very strong material, but yeah I must have tried probably 5 styles of bit and sizes. With the step bit, never once was un centered or had it bite or break. Because it's gradually enlarging from the middle, it's a perfect clean hole and 7/16th was by far the best size. Drill press and a jig might be good, but to be quite honest, I just hung a strip from a nail, tensioning it with one hand and hand drill step bit through the little holes as guides. You also don't have shift the material every time. If there is one thing I would really mention though, it's that while it works in the end when the strips are tensioned, the first 3/4 of the roll looked great. But as it got further in towards the middle and the wraps in the roll had a smaller diameter, the material has a tendency to fold at a hard point rather than a smooth curve. So you would have a strip that is structurally fine and looks fine when tensioned tight, but anything less tension would cause the bends to be visible. Looked like a wave pattern
    I think this is the stuff https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...buOc1P_eWsSDX0

Post Thanks / Like

I am in Vancouver ! You are in the Rain--Forest !

Post Thanks / Like

I am in Ottawa. A step drill bit is something I have so that's good. However, looking at ronas website I can't find the pipe strapping. Could it be called something else ?
    -Nw-

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by angus40; 11-13-2019 at 05:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Home Depot has something similar. I did a small tree using these before I discovered Boscoyo.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-3-...3528/301505502

Post Thanks / Like

Here's some photos, I'm building light strip for my garage door.
    Build a simple template so I won't screw up.

Note: To get best result, I set the drill to reverse, with the speed, put a small amount pressure, it goes thought very quick and perfectly.
    2019-11-25_09-19-54_913.jpg
    2019-11-25_09-40-46_415.jpg
    2019-11-25_09-41-07_873.jpg
    2019-11-25_09-42-19_898.jpg
    2019-11-25_09-43-12_227.jpg
    Last edited by 020; 11-26-2019 at 04:31 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast