Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap DIY 12mm Pixel/RGB Mounting Strips

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cheap DIY 12mm Pixel/RGB Mounting Strips

I know this thread is long dead, and no idea if OP is still around. But I went ahead and picked up some of that strapping to try and attempt this, based on the fact that I would be looking at around 25-37$ usd for shipping plus the $30ish dollars for a 20 pack...so basically $60 usd for just a small package of light plastic....And then I'm in Canada!!!. So terrible exchange rate WITHOUT customs...I'm looking at $80 canadian dollars minimum for a small batch of the boysco or knockoff strips and then customs...Come on! lol..

So I see this post and i'm excited. I get home with it and decide to give it a test run. One problem, trying various designs of drill bit, different speeds, resting on a wood base or clear gap below the strapping, it begins to create the hole, then seems to catch or bite the strapping that either results in tearing the strip, or at the least, breaking through the slim clearance between the hole and the outside of the strap. So how exactly does this work? What am I missing? How am I supposed to drill through without the bit grabbing on to the plastic? Tried 3 different styles of drill bits in sizes ranging from 1/4", 7/16 and 1/2"

The awesome suggestion I had heard was to use a punch often found in the rivet hardware section, but that maxes out at 3/8" punch size

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using leather punches to add holes to the boscoyo HDPE strip. I have a set like this one I forget which size i'm using. But one of the sizes in that set is a good fit for pixels.

Another thing that works really well is a step bit. These are great for drilling holes of many sizes in plastic, and have the benefit of staying centered in the pilot hole.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried a unibit? a step drill. It uses a different cut to drill as jchuchla mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    it begins to create the hole, then seems to catch or bite the strapping that either results in tearing the strip, or at the least, breaking through
    You might try sandwiching the strip between two pieces of wood and drilling through the wood + strip. If that works then it might be worthwhile to make a jig with numerous holes. One where you could put a dowel through a hole and have the strip lined up with a several jig holes. Then you can position the strip and drill X number of holes before having to move the strip again.

Post Thanks / Like

Using a jig and burning the holes is the best way I have found .
    Plastics respond very very poorly to drilling and prefer heat !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    Using a jig and burning the holes is the best way I have found .
    Plastics respond very very poorly to drilling and prefer heat !
    I actually tried that yesterday with an old soldering iron. It worked, but made some nasty snagletooth holes. Any suggestions for how to burn cleanly or efficiently?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcamron View Post
    You might try sandwiching the strip between two pieces of wood and drilling through the wood + strip. If that works then it might be worthwhile to make a jig with numerous holes. One where you could put a dowel through a hole and have the strip lined up with a several jig holes. Then you can position the strip and drill X number of holes before having to move the strip again.
    This is actually an ingenious idea if the strip responds well to drilling. I think part of the issue is also the width of the strip. It remains strong enough, but not much margin for error, so if it bites at all or starts to tug/pull, it's at risk to break through

Post Thanks / Like

Sharpening the end of a pipe can serve as a makeshift punch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    I actually tried that yesterday with an old soldering iron. It worked, but made some nasty snagletooth holes. Any suggestions for how to burn cleanly or efficiently?
    A soldering iron is a mickey mouse attempt lmao

A very very hot pipe burns through cleanly and strengthens the hole .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcamron View Post
    I agree 100% with the sandwich as I use a double metal jig while burning .

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast