Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cheap DIY 12mm Pixel/RGB Mounting Strips

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cheap DIY 12mm Pixel/RGB Mounting Strips

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    A soldering iron is a mickey mouse attempt lmao

A very very hot pipe burns through cleanly and strengthens the hole .
    Yes. Also known as proof of concept so what.... You just get a piece of pipe of a certain diameter and heat it with a blowtorch or something?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davros View Post
    Sharpening the end of a pipe can serve as a makeshift punch.
    Understand what you are saying, but having trouble picturing the type of pipe and how you would sharpen it? Perhaps picturing a piece of copper with the end filed down... But wondering how much time would be spent trying to re sharpen it in between not many holes. But is that not the case?

3. Thanks mrGrumpy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    Yes. Also known as proof of concept so what.... You just get a piece of pipe of a certain diameter and heat it with a blowtorch or something?
    Exactly .
    Have done over 1600 without issue .
    A drill press is a must for making jigs though .

Post Thanks / Like

Forstner bits definitely work good for this, and for Coroplast. However, I have had even better results with "Brad Point" or "Bradpoint" bits, and yet even better results with regular wood boring spade bits-- the ones which also have the little pointy nibs at the edges as well as the middle, such as the Irwin brand sold at Lowe's. The little pointy nibs at the outside edges are crucial though, the flat style doesn't work at all. 12mm or 15/32" leather punches also work quite well. If you can't find 12mm or 15/32", 7/16" will work, just a little tight.

Or instead of the sharpened and heated piece of pipe, how about a heated leather punch? Will have to try that!

Instead of the pipe strapping (which is very flexible), for my eaves I used some plastic trim strips available at the home improvement stores. Not sure of their intended purpose but you can find them in the molding dept. They are flat, rectangular, 1.5" wide and about 3/16" thick, 8' long, and made of a very soft, almost foamy plastic. White. They do have some flexibility, but are much more rigid than the pipe strapping and so are good where you want to keep a straight line with a minimum of support.
    Last edited by DrWizard; 01-14-2019 at 01:43 PM.
    Wizlights.com

Post Thanks / Like

Aside from seeing the wires behind the strip, would there be any issues of using a clear plastic strip. I notice Boscoyo only makes White or Black strips, and the roll of hanger strap in this thread is grey-ish. Wouldn't you sometimes want clear, especially on a mega tree, to see the pixels behind?

I'm with the OP and others... as a DIYer I like to find ways to save money. The strips from Boscoyo are an excellent idea and what they make is a great product. At 17.5 cents/foot (96" strips @ $1.40 each) + shipping, if I can find something 10 cents/foot or less and have to drill/punch some holes, I'm fine with that. I'll make a jig and guide so they are as close to perfect without a machined setup like Boscoyo. When I'm in a rush or something breaks and I need a quick fix, I'll buy from Boscoyo to save time. Alternatives are always good to have. Though you also have to know how well some of this stuff will hold up outside in your conditions. The hanger strap says it doesn't handle freezing (below 32 degrees). Not a problem in Florida, but one in many other states. Also the durability of any of the elements - rain, hot sun (Florida Christmas is usually 85 degrees!), cold, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Using clear strips is a dual edged sword.

On one hand seeing the pixels from "the back side" gives an interesting mix when putting patterns on the tree. Unfortunately when you put things like graphics and text on the tree, it sometimes gets really jumbled and hard to see. It does, however, make the tree look fuller because the viewer can see more pixels than just those pointing at them.

On the other hand, NOT seeing pixels on the back side provides a clean view for graphics and text. Also some display items look much better when you can't see behind. FYI - this is why people limit the amount of tree (180 degree, 270 degree, etc.) that their actually is to the area that viewers can actually see.

Also, remember that strips are not the only way to create a tree. You can use some sort of wire or band and zip-tie pixels to it. This method allows the pixels to be seen from most any angle. Before the strip, this was the best way (IMHO) to create trees. It is also the easiest to store.

Just remember that hanging the strings like you might do with Wal-Mart LEDs is not a good thing. There needs to be some sort of support to the points in the string that are soldered together - which with pixels is every bulb.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    Just remember that hanging the strings like you might do with Wal-Mart LEDs is not a good thing. There needs to be some sort of support to the points in the string that are soldered together - which with pixels is every bulb.
    I didn't use Walmart LED's but Walmart Mini incandescents for 8 years for a 180 degree tree hung on a basketball goal pole. They worked fine without support. The bulbs would quit or fade before I had a wire problem. 2 years ago I replaced them with dumb RGB pixels. Much neater with the ability to change the colors of the strings. YMMV.
    Dave-800Px-20KLts

Post Thanks / Like

My point is that standard “wall mart” 120 volt LEDs have a built in advantage when they are hanging. With the exception of where different sections come together (there are only 2 wires at these points), there are three wires running from lamp to lamp. The wiring methods commonly used provide a strain relief to each of the mounts. In pixels (dumb or smart) the connecting wires are soldered at each of the pixels. This means that there is tension on each and every node’s wiring.

Granted the fill material today is much better than it was in the early days of pixels, but without some sort of support a good wind whipping the strings will pull on these wires and problems do happen.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how these plastic strips will do in South Florida weather. Any suggestions what to use to hold pixels tight on the mega tree in hot climate?

Post Thanks / Like

UK users: this is the link 14.44 for 100 feet (April 2019)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sioux-Chief...gateway&sr=8-1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123