Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Pixiflood 10w Floodlight Driver (WS2811)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pixiflood 10w Floodlight Driver (WS2811)

I'm just wrapping up the design of a 10w RGB LED Driver. It is designed to turn the cheap 10w flood lights into a WS2811 pixel.

The design was inspired by a driver developed by Francesco Truzzi, and the shape of the board was inspired by ROBGs LED Driver board.

PixiFlood.jpg

After assembly,simply gut the flood Light, solder a RGB 10W LED to the board, and screw into the floodlight housing. I designed it to use wafer connectors for power and data.

Let me know what you think. Runs on 12V and ~900ma per flood light on white which is less than 1/3 string of ws2811 strip lights. With power injection the sky's the limit.

I am also working on a version for 30w.

2. Likes critic2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pixiflood 10w Floodlight Driver (WS2811)

Looks good. I know several people (myself included) were looking for exactly this kind of solution for their 10W RGB floods and this seems to fit thr bill perfectly.

Are you planning in running this as a group buy? If so you can put me down for at least four.

I will be following this thread with great interest.

Shane
    Last edited by shanicus; 02-23-2015 at 01:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to see the elimination of the smd parts except for the pt4115's.
    You can go vertical mount for the resistors to save board space.
    Have you prototyped this yet, or just done board design?
    thanks for sharing!
    Quote Originally Posted by stampedeboss View Post
    I'm just wrapping up the design of a 10w RGB LED Driver. It is designed to turn the cheap 10w flood lights into a WS2811 pixel.

The design was inspired by a driver developed by Francesco Truzzi, and the shape of the board was inspired by ROBGs LED Driver board.

PixiFlood.jpg

After assembly,simply gut the flood Light, solder a RGB 10W LED to the board, and screw into the floodlight housing. I designed it to use wafer connectors for power and data.

Let me know what you think. Runs on 12V and ~900ma per flood light on white which is less than 1/3 string of ws2811 strip lights. With power injection the sky's the limit.

I am also working on a version for 30w.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a great idea. A few suggestions:

The layout does not follow the recommendations in the data sheet. With switchers, this tends to cause oscillations, high circulating currents, and horrendous EMI. I'd use pours for the switch node (pin 1) and Vin (pin 5), and move the current-sense resistors next to the drivers. I would also put a 4.7uF ceramic cap right above the driver, between pin 5 and the tab of each driver; that's where the current to recharge the inductor comes from each pulse. It's hard to tell without the ground plane enabled (I'm guessing it is on the back side), but I would put more vias at the thermal tabs of the drivers, and one at pin 2.

/mike

6. Thanks stampedeboss thanked for this post
    Likes markefive liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Extremely interested in this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [COLOR="#FFF0F5"]aaaaaaaaaa[/COLOR][URL="http://joehinkle.com/HLS/"][IMG]http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/images/1/13/HLS_Logo_Largel.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
    [COLOR="#0000FF"]^^^[/COLOR][COLOR="#0000FF"]Blinky Flashy Magic created by[/color] [COLOR="#0000FF"]^^^[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#0000FF"][B]Facebook page [URL="http://www.facebook.com/ChristmasInNewburgh"]Christmas In Newburgh[/URL]
    Website coming soon[/COLOR][/B]
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]2013:[/COLOR] 48 AC Channels and 6 Universes DC
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]2014:[/COLOR] Bigger & Better, Planning stages now

Post Thanks / Like

What housing is this designed for?

Post Thanks / Like

I have it working on a breadboard and I am in the process of sending out to Fab. I do have a version that is through hole for the Inductors and resistors. I can only find a source of ws2811 that are sop8 and the dip version does not seem to be available.

I have added the pt4115 vias n1ist suggested. I'm trying to figure out the 4.7u cap suggestion, are you saying remove the 100uF or leave that as well?

As to case it goes inside the flood housing, either the older 10W or the New-10W that is available. For the 10W-New (Which I am using, I will be placing a Komby RF1 inside as well. I have done a preliminary test with the RF1 and since it sits behind Plexiglas the RF seems to work at reasonable distances.)

Current Layout (With Groundplanes)PixiFlood.png

I will be offering group buy depending on interest.
    Last edited by stampedeboss; 02-23-2015 at 12:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

One other note, the mounting holes are for push-through rubber feet. Since the board is mounted to the housing via the LED, the rubber feet ensure that the board does not come in contact with the housing.

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding your RF1 implementation...
    Can you expand on this a bit more.
    I also wondering if the antenna can be extended off the board outside the enclosure.
    Quote Originally Posted by stampedeboss View Post
    I have it working on a breadboard and I am in the process of sending out to Fab. I do have a version that is through hole for the Inductors and resistors. I can only find a source of ws2811 that are sop8 and the dip version does not seem to be available.

I have added the pt4115 vias n1ist suggested. I'm trying to figure out the 4.7u cap suggestion, are you saying remove the 100uF or leave that as well?

As to case it goes inside the flood housing, either the older 10W or the New-10W that is available. For the 10W-New (Which I am using, I will be placing a Komby RF1 inside as well. I have done a preliminary test with the RF1 and since it sits behind Plexiglas the RF seems to work at reasonable distances.)

Current Layout (With Groundplanes)PixiFlood.png

I will be offering group buy depending on interest.

Post Thanks / Like

The "10w-New" housing have an area that was designed to hold the driver, but since the drive is now attached to to LED in my design the space is open. Unlike the older housing, the new one has this pocket sitting in the housing behind a black section of Plexglas which appears to allow the RF signal to pass and this was using the zigzag antenna. The issue with an antenna extending outside the housing is waterproofing. I'm sure it can be done, I just haven't thought about it. The old version of the 10w housing was designed in 2 parts, Floodlight and Driver with the driver being in a separate aluminum housing. This housing blocks the RF signals.

With the RF1 inside the housing, only wires required are power. You may be able to slip a "wire" antenna out the same opening. I've seen a mod for using a wire antenna on the nRF24 modules by kingofkya. I'll post pictures later of the housings.
    Last edited by stampedeboss; 02-23-2015 at 02:10 PM. Reason: credit for the mod

Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast