Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 36v DC and SSRs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 36v DC and SSRs

Quote Originally Posted by mutleyrover View Post
    Yep! They're the ones!! Maybe I'll see what they think...
    Those are a copy of the the board released by LabRat who reworked the original by wjohn and will not work with 36V as mentioned already.

Post Thanks / Like

Some time ago I did a page on the ACL wiki that shows how to use different voltage lights than what the controller can often accept. Hope that helps.
    www.da-share.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David_AVD View Post
    Some time ago I did a page on the ACL wiki that shows how to use different voltage lights than what the controller can often accept. Hope that helps.
    Thanks for the link, although it's left me somewhat confused!!!
    It seems this 36v issue is quite a problem!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Edwards View Post
    Ok the occasion where I needed to run some dc SSRs at 36v, I cut the track between the input voltage terminal and the volt regulator and then inserted a string of 6xSMD diodes.
    Another option is to insert a 7824 regulator, but that more complicated.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for this Matt. Does this resolve the problem? Have you maybe got any photos to show what you did?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mutleyrover View Post
    Thanks for the link, although it's left me somewhat confused!!!
    It seems this 36v issue is quite a problem!!
    You can use one lower voltage power supply to run the controller and a different (36V) one to power the actual lights.
    www.da-share.com

Post Thanks / Like

Most of mine are packed away or in sealed boxes.
    I only have the original dc SSRs.

I will see what I can do in a couple days.

[B][I]Matt[/I][/B]

You too can become a Supporting member of DIYC.
    Check it out [URL="http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/payments.php"]here[/URL]

I record my Blinky Flashy travels here: [URL="http://MyNoelLights.com"]MyNoelLights.com[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David_AVD View Post
    You can use one lower voltage power supply to run the controller and a different (36V) one to power the actual lights.
    Having re-read it properly I understand it now. I guess the downside is having to have a multitude of power supplies!
    I guess one obvious question is whether there are DC SSRs that exist that are able to take voltages higher than 30v?

Post Thanks / Like

That board could be easily assembled to use a shunt regulator instead of a series regulator because the pcb design has two series regulators in parallel. The parts would need to stand on end, but placing a resistor between the input and output of one regulator footprint and an appropriate zener diode between the ground and output of the other regulator footprint would do the job. The disadvantages are that the input voltage range is much smaller than the input range of a series regulator (such as the 78L05), and it draws power all the time, but it provides a way of dealing with input voltages higher than the 40V that most 78xXX regulators can handle.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by P. Short View Post
    That board could be easily assembled to use a shunt regulator instead of a series regulator because the pcb design has two series regulators in parallel. The parts would need to stand on end, but placing a resistor between the input and output of one regulator footprint and an appropriate zener diode between the ground and output of the other regulator footprint would do the job. The disadvantages are that the input voltage range is much smaller than the input range of a series regulator (such as the 78L05), and it draws power all the time, but it provides a way of dealing with input voltages higher than the 40V that most 78xXX regulators can handle.
    I think I understand what you're saying here but I feel I'm rather at the far realms of my ability. I'm not an electrician nor do I have any background in electronics. While I feel happy to be able to follow instruction to build a board (from the wiki for example) I think I might be getting out of my depth with modifications. Maybe I just try and get lights that use 30v or less, and get rid of my sets using 36v. That feels very defeatist though!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Edwards View Post
    Most of mine are packed away or in sealed boxes.
    I only have the original dc SSRs.

I will see what I can do in a couple days.

Thanks Matt.

I was wondering what the theory of what you do is? Why/how does it allow you to use 36v?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast