Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30 or 60 led flex for arch

Post Thanks / Like

Default 30 or 60 led flex for arch

I Have 30 led per meter arches right now but am curious if 60 led per meter wil give them more effect?

Thankyou Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 30 or 60 led flex for arch

I sure would think so. Twice as many lights in a fade should look a lot better. I bought 60 led per meter for mine, but the tubing has been a problem. But most people use 30 and are happy.
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

Technically, more effect? No. Different effect, yes. The 30/meter is more granular than 60/m (obviously). So, that makes for a different look to them. It depends on how you wish it to look and how many channels you want to dedicate to it.

If you have 30/m, stick some in your PEX or HDPE pipe, lay it out in the yard (or stand it up if you got your frames built) and play with it on a controller. SEE what it looks like. If it looks ok to you, go with it. If it looks blocky to you, order 60/m. Its more costly and takes more channels though.

I am going with 30/m. Because, like you, I have it in a box in the basement ready to use. I used 30/m for my window outlines and I am reasonably happy with it. If I find I simply don't have the detail in the arches I want, its easy enough to pull the strip out and replace it with 60/m. Its not like you are supergluing it down or something. Pull the strip out, replace it and reuse the other strip elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

My arches use 30/m 5v so all pixels are addressable. I have used 60/m. If your audience is right next to them it looks nice otherwise the pixels appear to blend together. All depends on the effect your looking for. Also power consumption should be a consideration.

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of arches? Pex? Hdpe? Something else? I have 2" hdpe arches with 60/m. I was planning on doing some verticals on the house using 1" pex and 30/m but did not like the look. It could have been the smaller tube not diffusing as wel. I may try the 30/m in thehdpe to see the difference

Post Thanks / Like

Here are mine with 30/m in 1 " pex
    I shot the video from approx 5 feet away.

https://youtu.be/0AXQVT4udvA

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, not sure if I would like them as verticals on my house either. Too out of place with the rest of the trim. But thats me.

With arches, the strips are, for the most part, forced against the back wall and thus you look at them mostly from the side. This increases the diffusion of 1" PEX by getting the LEDs away from the top and you are seeing the sidewalls more than the top (generally).

Here is 1" PEX with 30/m - 3 LED groups 12v strip vertically:

Being vertical its going to be very hard to force the strip away from the front inner wall. Second you are looking at it straight on more or less. Its a different look than the nice beefy 2" HDPE. And thats ok too. Just depends on how the rest of your display works with it. Except for floods, I don't have any diffused elements and they all have differentiated pixel looks. So having bright spots in the arches, in my feeling, is fine for me. They might even look a bit out of place if they didn't have a pixelated look to them.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine are 30 per meter. In 2"HDPE and I think they look great. Shipping the HDPE was pricy. But I love how it defuses the light. Well worth the extra cost for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Wolfie;431479]

Here is 1" PEX with 30/m - 3 LED groups 12v strip vertically:

Wait one minute, what is this????
    Steve
    [URL="http://www.reddinglights.com"]http://www.reddinglights.com[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to ask the same. I'm not sure if that's forum appropriate. LOL

anyhow, I use 60/m for 2" HDPE. I find the 30/m gets too much hot spotting for my liking.

11. Likes scootchu liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast