Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Lighting Stack Exchange

Post Thanks / Like

Default Holiday Lighting Stack Exchange

Decided to spin up a proposal for a new Stack Exchange for holiday lighting! As a fan of other SE sites (like StackOverflow), I thought this would be a neat way to provide a place for other holiday lighting enthusiasts to ask questions and vote on best answers. This would also give everyone and easy way to search and source commonly asked questions. Here is a link to the exchange where you can start asking and answering questions! Be sure to follow it so it can work it's way to the next phase!
    121868.png
    Last edited by whitesoup12; 03-28-2019 at 04:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Holiday Lighting Stack Exchange

Isnít stack exchange just another forum with stricter rules? What benefit would it have over what we already have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

It's different from a forum in that answers to questions are voted on by the community and best answers are selected. This format, as opposed to forums that can be pages long, makes it easier to search and find the best answers to questions. It's definitely not a replacement to forums, but it is a way to potentially find what you need quicker.

Post Thanks / Like

So the first small hurdle here is getting past the initial proposal requirements. I’ve provided 5 sample questions already, but I’m needing 5 people to help by following the proposal. Would be great to get some experts in there who can help answer questions that come up. Otherwise it won’t be very helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

Pass.....

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, but no. There are too many sites to keep track of now. Enjoy.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

I've removed the proposal.

Post Thanks / Like

Before you give up, let me state and ask ...

I don't know "Stack Exchange". I'm sure I am not alone on this. What benefit would it bring to the DIYC crowd? How would you use it? How would anyone use it?

We are definitely inundated with information in many forms and way too many places at this time. This is just the nature of open systems. They don't call it a "web" for nothing.

Then again, this is DIYC.

We have been and are a very versatile group. We have simple users all the way to extreme designers - both hardware and software. Perhaps your idea would be just what a segment of this community would use. Perhaps there are those out here that don't know that they need what you are offering. It probably won't be in an area that I or anyone else who has turned down the offer here would use, but there are literally thousands on these boards and this idea may find a home. You just need to let us know what, how, where, and why. Try to flesh out the advantages that you see and convey them to the rest of us.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

So I created the Stack Exchange proposal primarily because it seems to be pretty difficult finding the answer you need for questions pertaining to DIYC and holiday lighting. I know the answers to most questions can generally be found on the popular forums, but it can be tricky to track down, especially if the forum with the question has multiple pages or "answers" with no clear direction on what you really need. Stack exchange is designed to have a single question with answers to the question. The "best" answer (as voted on by the DIYC community), appears directly under the question. Different answers can be up-voted (if it's a good answer) or down-voted (if it is not a good answer).

I can always reinstate the proposal, but I removed it because even those who are familiar with what Stack Exchange sites are, kind of bashed the idea. A great example of what the site does is StackOverflow, in case you want to see it. It's super easy to create a proposal. It's super hard to get people to contribute.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you were a bit too quick to give up and didn’t explain the benefits. The primary benefit is that with stack exchange, you can search via google and find an actual answer pretty quickly. A lot of answers to someone’s question on a forum and buried many pages down in a thread. There may be several answers and none that are simple to pick out from dozens of posts. There might also never be an answer in the thread. The same threads are also hashed over on several different sites.

If you had a question I need power injection every X pixels has been covered over and over but the answer isn’t always easy to find on one of the DIY sites. Just search google and look for the stack exchange response with “Solved” in the title.That answer might also be in one of the FAQs on one of the DIY sites but you might have to look at 4 different websites to find it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast