Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick and easy 8' MegaTree kit development thread

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quick and easy 8' MegaTree kit development thread

So many of you have expressed interest in our MegaTree Kit development and I have decided to shed some light on what we have in the works and maybe get a little feed back form you guys.

The design was based on using our MegaTree Pixel Mounting strips. I wanted an easy way to install a MT with little effort and not having to go through building a portable hole as I have done in the past. I wanted to use the MT strips with 25 pixels on 3" centers to make a 6'-3" section of nodes. The tree would be about 1' off of the ground and a few inches from the top. I also wanted the head or topper to be as small as I could get it so the tree would maintain the iconic Christmas Tree shape. This is what we came up with, the 5 trees infront of the house are the prototypes for these trees

The prototypes were 180 trees with 12 strands. They use a section of 3/4" metal conduit as the back bone. We added a Guy wire ring to attach S hooks so the 1/8" guy wires can be attached. Originally I was going to put a 1/4" bolt in each hole for each strip, OVERKILL! I opted to simply ziptie the strip to the topper.

But I realize that not all people want a 180 tree or a 360 tree, so we will make the topper a 360 head with 24 mounting holes for 24 strips and you can do anything in between. I have revised the parts and this is what they look like now:

What you see in the picture above is the topper on the left, Guy Wire ring on the bottom right and a base plate to keep the conduit from driving into soft ground. The guy wires will be attached directly to the ring so you don't have to worry about losing the S hooks. The topper is only 6.75" in diameter to keep the top as pointy as possible while allowing the strips to work. The production versions will be made from 1/2" thick Black HDPE.

Also, for storage, I plan to leave all the strips attached to the topper and simply secure them to the 3/4" conduit and place them on a set of hooks in the storage room.

The kit would include:
    Head/Topper
    Guy Wire ring with 1/8" metal guy wire's mounted to the ring on one end and terminated with a loop on the other to be staked with a 60D nail
    Base Plate
    Optional with or without 12mm Pixel Mounting strips
    Working on the Price now but I expect the base kit (Topper, Guy Wire Ring, and Base Plate) to start at $40+/- with no strips and up to $80 with additional strips.

You would need to provide, 12mm pixels, zipties, 1 ea. 3/4" metal conduit, and however many 6" or 8" 60d nails to hold each strip at the base plus 3 more for the guy wires. The Conduit is around $3.00 and the 60D nails are about $0.50-$0.75ea.

So, what do you think so far?

Still in the works- a taller version for 50 pixels 3" on center and a coro star or mounting kit for a metal star frame made by other vendors here.

James
    Last edited by james70818; 01-10-2015 at 09:27 PM.
    Website - <a href="http://www.BoscoyoStudio.com" target="_blank">Boscoyo Studio</a>
    Facebook - <a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hohensee-Family-Christmas-Lights/1379680168919312" target="_blank">Hohensee Family Lights</a>

2. Thanks matree, m00dawg thanked for this post
    Likes jnealand, scott4864, uzelessknowledge liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quick and easy 8' MegaTree kit development thread

That is nice. Any idea on where pricing might land?
    Last edited by CJ Morin; 01-10-2015 at 09:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I like this design James, guess I will be putting in an order for 2 of them when they are ready

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Morin View Post
    That is nice. Any idea on where pricing might land?
    Around $40 and up depending on options selected.
    Website - <a href="http://www.BoscoyoStudio.com" target="_blank">Boscoyo Studio</a>
    Facebook - <a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hohensee-Family-Christmas-Lights/1379680168919312" target="_blank">Hohensee Family Lights</a>

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by james70818 View Post
    Around $40 and up depending on options selected.
    That is not bad considering the price of a sheet of HDPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by neilric99 View Post
    I like this design James, guess I will be putting in an order for 2 of them when they are ready
    Thanks Neil. We will most likely do a pre-sale on them. The plastic will be shipped with the strip plastic to help save on freight. at $200+ a sheet for the material, I need all the help I can get. I'm not opposed to White plastic if there is a demand for it.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like we could use a 10' piece of conduit, leaving 2' sticking out to mount a star (or something)?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buymyemu View Post
    It looks like we could use a 10' piece of conduit, leaving 2' sticking out to mount a star (or something)?
    That is the plan! Nice strong backbone to support the star.

Post Thanks / Like

That looks really good james and simple to boot.Can't get much easier. Very cost effective also.
    I'm really interested to see how your 50 pixel string one comes out. The star at the top is a must.
    A pre-sale would be a must for those of use who want to do a MT without all the hassle of making one.
    Last edited by Kev7274; 01-10-2015 at 10:23 PM.
    (1)Falcon PI Player (Running the show)
    (1)Falcon F16V3
    (1)Renard SS16
    (1)Renard SS24
    (1)EDM-LCD-CS-EP
    (20)P10 Panels

WIKI
    Become A Supporting Member

Falcon Christmas
    Renard Controllers

Post Thanks / Like

will you be making a kit with strips for GECE /Pixabulbs?

12. Thanks m00dawg thanked for this post
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast