Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New feature

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New feature

Now that I think about it more you're right. If you have the element set as a single color element it's not going to work. It would have worked if the color breakdown filter was set to mix colors. Or with no breakdown filter at all. But with a non-mixing breakdown filter it will only output on the blue channel if the color is blue.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJZ View Post
    I really think it will be a heck of a program when it's finished...
    That's funny
    Derek

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/backuslights"][IMG]http://www.kiwimill.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/facebook.png[/IMG][/URL]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like

I think its one heck of a program now!

[B][SIZE=3][SIZE=4]not so new but still learning![/SIZE][/SIZE][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I totally glossed over that comment. I don't think any of us think there will ever be a finished point. There may be a point where we're no longer working on it. But that'll be because there's something new and better, not because there's nothing more to be done.

--Jon Chuchla--

Post Thanks / Like

I have so much I want to do. I'm thinking I'll be "done" when I die.
    Derek

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/backuslights"][IMG]http://www.kiwimill.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/facebook.png[/IMG][/URL]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like

I want to comment this a bit myself. I did use V2 for several years before stepping over to V3. It is not that I may not know or do not want to go see or remember what V2 did for some feature. What the random function meant to me may not be what it means to someone else. It is more us trying to understand better what the user is trying to accomplish. V3 and V2 are vastly different, so what V2 did may not even be relative in concept or the best way to accomplish something in V3. V3 deals with a much higher level model of your display and tries to avoid thinking about things as low level channels. If we go do that research on V2, it then opens the door to I want it to act like XYZ feature from Photoshop or some other software or you get my interpretation of it and come back as say that is not what I meant.

I will speak for myself, but I suspect it applies to others on the team. We all have day jobs, families, blinky flashy, and other obligations of our own I choose to spend what little extra free time I have contributing to the development of V3. Would you rather me spend my hour a day I have extra going and loading up some other software, playing with it and trying to guess what you want by saying I want this from that? I would rather you the user take the time and spell out what you are trying to accomplish and write up a well defined argument for why you need it and how it may benefit others? Then I can read that and know exactly what you are trying to do and either suggest a way to get there or decide if it warrants a feature update to the software. Then my spare time is much better spent making V3 better.

So help us help you. Most of us read all the comments on these forums and jump in to help often. We all have a vested interest in making it better. For free software, it has a lot more support and documentation than a lot of other open source projects. Implying we are uniformed or too lazy to go look at something is not productive.

7. Thanks derekbackus thanked for this post
    Likes matree liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    Not all effects are necessarily color aware. Candle flicker is the only one that currently isn't. It should still work on the lights though if you have the color handling set up right. The preview would just show white.

Twinkle and flicker differ slightly. Twinkle is more disconnected uniform pulses, but in a random pattern. Flicker is more linear in that it transitions from one level to another without first returning to zero.

--Jon Chuchla--

Thank you thats exactly what i wanted to be able to do. I mostly wanted a random fade and ramp which is what that is but i didnt see it that waywhen I was first posting. But if you did make the new feature i would want it where you can make make random percents, which would be difficult because theres not individual squares like in v2. I would like it where you can edit the length of each set level in the "random effect" instead of having to make a bunch set levels. But I very much think that if i need to make a random effect i can make the twinkling work for me. I am my dads son posting on his account. I do most of the sequencing so i figured i'd ask. thank you for all the responses

Post Thanks / Like

Deleted duplicate post
    Last edited by OregonLights; 01-08-2015 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Removed duplicate post
    Alex

X3 Ren48LSD, X4 Ren16SS, X2 Ren24SS, X1 SRen32, FM-02, E1.31 Bridge
    X36 Super Strips, X9 Dumb RGB Mini Trees, ~25K lights (mostly LED)
    Pixel Mega Tree with 1600 pixels (4800 channels) run with an E682
    [IMG]http://i61.tinypic.com/2vaffhe.jpg[/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like

I had mentioned the desire for a "Random" effect like V2.1 earlier in this forum section as well, because I use it periodically and can't replicate it in V3. I would select a range of cells and V2.1 would enter a random intensity in each cell within the selection. I could adjust the density of the fill and the min/max of the intensity. It gave a great effect that I can't replicate currently. Take a look at this video at 0:13.

The difference to the twinkle effect is the variation of intensity in the range is random versus independent pulses with a fade. As you can see in my video, the density of the random intensity is very high in this example, well beyond what you can get with the V3 Twinkle effect I believe.

I also attached a screen shot of how the effect appears in V3. Note this is an imported sequence and I mapped what was three channels RGB into each of these Super Strip elements that have RGB color filters attached. But the import worked beautifully, the individual intensity effects are mapped very cleanly into each Super Strip element as individual effects. So this is what a resultant V3 "Random" effect may look like.
    Random Effect Example.jpg

Hope this helps the description.
    Last edited by OregonLights; 01-07-2015 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Added Screen Shot and Description
    Alex

X3 Ren48LSD, X4 Ren16SS, X2 Ren24SS, X1 SRen32, FM-02, E1.31 Bridge
    X36 Super Strips, X9 Dumb RGB Mini Trees, ~25K lights (mostly LED)
    Pixel Mega Tree with 1600 pixels (4800 channels) run with an E682
    [IMG]http://i61.tinypic.com/2vaffhe.jpg[/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice explanation and description Alex!

P.S. Don't over look the tapper function request!!

[B][SIZE=3][SIZE=4]not so new but still learning![/SIZE][/SIZE][/B]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast