Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New feature

Post Thanks / Like

Default New feature

I would like there to be a random feature like in v2

Thx

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New feature

Please explain in detail what you would like this feature to do.

We're not in the business of researching other sequencers and duplicating them. We prefer to meet the needs of our users, and make it better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post

We're not in the business of researching other sequencers and duplicating them. We prefer to meet the needs of our users, and make it better.
    I'm going to open my mouth.. and while I may regret this later on I'm going to say it anyways- Admins you can remove this post if you want...

Let me first start off by apologizing to the OP but quite frankly I have been around this site for a few years now... and I've seen alot of crap, and I've heard alot of crap... and i think the pile needs to be pointed out before another member steps in it.

But those of us who used Vixen 2.1 found that it was a very reliable program that was there for us to use. A program that had little issues and one I could rely on to run my show on a nightly basis without wondering if the lights would freeze, scheduler would stop, or my schedules and previews would just disappear. Us in this hobby want a solid program to use. I give alot credit to those involved with Vixen 2.1.. as it ran my show with no issues for three years. Then vixen 3 came around and the progress was slow... so to achieve a solid program everyone could use it was handed over to a team and they took after it... I'll say that where it is today is far better from where it was a few years back. It still has it's issues, it still has it's flaws and thats really ok... because most understand that it is a work in progress.. the end result should be as reliable as V2.1, but what really pisses me off is the smug remarks about how much better vixen 3 is, how your not out to research other sequencers...and your here to meet the needs of it's users but every time someone brings something up a remark much like the one listed above is posted.. REMEMBER... the program name is Vixen3... ONLY the version number has changed... Maybe the best way to meet the needs of the current users is to actually download and open 2.1... your lack of knowledge on features of 2.1 is only hurting Vixen3 in the end... and then when mention is made-because you don't know what it was like in 2.1- it's the individual that is requesting a change gets a remark that is uncalled for or belittled. Honestly I would have still used 2.1 because of its reliability but because of a change in my display I chose to go the v3 route. I will say that my fourth year I spent more time babysitting my display making sure it was running correctly then I've spent in three years with the old. We all understand that a change needed to be made but to throw jabs at the old version is throwing jabs at the members that had brought it to the point where it was. If you want to make V3 better... the first step was to understand Vixen2.1... because the last time I checked they both had Vixen in the name.

V3 does have it's benefits, like ease of sequencing and I really think it will be a heck of a program when it's finished... and I personally thank all those involved using their free time to make it better... but come on guys.. this is a group of people that help each other day in and day out.. why make the comments- is one person not as equal as the next?
    [COLOR=red]"I have to plug ALL of these into what??"[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Crab-Orchard-Christmas/223405451066297/"]Find us on Facebook[/URL] | [URL="http://craborchardchristmas.weebly.com/"][COLOR=#b22222]CrabOrchardChristmas.com[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#b22222]
    [/COLOR]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [COLOR=#008000]
    Whether it's E.L.F. or C.L.A.P, or an elf clapping... who knows... I have "it" either way!!![/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post

Without opening vixen2.1 to double check I think random basically set random variating intensities across a channel or channels depending on what was selected to be randomized. You would highlight the area and choose random and walla lights blink randomly.

This can be done in vixen 3 using the twinkle effect. Choose your target channel or channels (or elements) choose twinkle and play with the various setting in twinkle until you get the random look you were looking for!

I can kinda see where Dave is coming from...I would imagine most vixen 3 users like my self used vixen2.1 for a few years before vixen3 came out. Since the name is vixen it was/is assumed that all the great features of 2.1 would be there + . That was not the case. But in vixen 3's defense the team always was up front about the fact that vixen 3 was/is a whole new sequencer and that the only thing shared was the name. I also agree that having knowledge of the features in 2.1 would help in answering feature requests like this one. That way you can tell the requester how to duplicate a feature they were so used to using before. One feature I miss from 2.1 is how you could use the number keys 1-9 to place timing marks to ch 1-9 during playback. I used this feature like a nine key piano to basically "play" parts of the song with the number keys then just copy the marks from ch 1-9 to whatever channels you needed the marks to. But vixen 3 has the mark manager which puts a nice mark across all elements that can be color coded to your liking. Now if you could make the tapper feature work to "any key" instead of just the spacebar or clicking the mouse that would be great!

I cant speak for John but I would like to think he didn't mean his comment to be harsh. Seems he just wanted to original poster to explain what he was looking for so John could explain how to achieve the look he wanted. Again this is were having some knowledge of vixen2.1 features would have helped answer the question or request. John has always been super helpful to me and I just cant imagine he meant to be mean in any way. Sometimes our comments get misunderstood or taken in a way they were not intended to. Sometimes we type our comments out and post only to reread them and think "man I didn't intend for that to sound as it did". I know it happens to me a lot anyways.

Hopefully ggusta finds the right combination of options in the twinkle effect to get the random look he seeks.

Oh and that part about making the tapper in mark manager react to any key oh please please please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [B][SIZE=3][SIZE=4]not so new but still learning![/SIZE][/SIZE][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I used V2.1 for the first three of the five years I've done a show and found it to be a very solid and fairly easy to use and understand. It does have its issues but has been a reliable program. I anticipated the release of the "new and Improved" V3 which I agree with Dave that most of us thought was going to be V2.1 on steroids. I watched and waited, totally confused at first with what saw. When the development team took over they worked very hard to make a better program then we had . I think it's come a long way and this year I made the jump to try it for the show. I have had to modify most of my sequencing habits to make V3 work for me. Occasionally I see something that I knew how to do but just can't quite figure out how to do the same thing in the new program. I've asked questions and got helpful answers that worked . I understand this is a beta program and is still being developed. My biggest issue has been a lack of detailed information of what V3 can and can't do and how to do it. There's plenty of general get you started info but I have no idea how some stuff works and just found out one of my feature requests has been in the program for over a year! Maybe now that the season dust has settled some progress can be made on documentation. This is not a shot at anyone just my opinion and observation
    See all our videos at:

http://www.hickoryhollow74.wix.com/hickory-hollow

Vixen 3.5

"Electrical Tape is my Friend"
    Falcon F16V3
    Renard SS24 (8)
    20 Universes
    25,000 + lights

Post Thanks / Like

My apologies if my earlier comment was taken the wrong way. But to be clear, vixen 3 has very little to do with vixen 2. It's not meant to be an upgrade, it's meant to be something completely different from the ground up. The only reason it carries the vixen name is because KC started it as an evolution of 2.5. But he quickly realized he couldn't take it to the next level without completely starting over and rethinking the whole paradigm.
    We probably should have changed the name to a different reindeer, but by the time the project was handed over to the team, it was already out in the wild and too late. So it stuck. But we've always said that vixen 2.1 is still a very viable and mature program that does a good job at everything it was designed for. It was written in the days when blinking lights involved standard single colored lights and dimmer channels. It was made for displays that had channel counts in the low hundreds, not thousands or tens of thousands. It's a different thing altogether. If your display is more in line with the vixen 2 paradigm, by all means, use vixen 2.1. That's why we still have it readily available for download.
    As I mentioned earlier, kinda sarcastically, we are not a business or commercial endeavor. We're a team of volunteers who want to take low budget lighting displays to the next level. Most of us came onto the scene well after vixen 3 was in progress. We saw the early versions and immediately knew that this was the right way (for us at least) to control displays using newer technologies with full color in mind and lots of control points. So as KC was burning out and development was slowing down, he handed over a solid framework to a team and we took it from there. It wasn't the team that tore it down and started over. It was KC the original creator. But when he left, a lot of the history went with him.
    We also don't view the user base as customers. We see them as part of the team. So if you have an idea or see a need, let us know and give us as much detail as possible on how you're using it and what you need it to do. In most cases we can't just copy the code from v2 because it's vastly different. And in fact, we don't even have the v2.1 source code to start from. So we have to start from scratch anyhow. And in keeping with the whole mission of Vixen 3, we don't just want to copy something old, we want to make sure to think thru the need and find the best way to meet the need in the new system. Even if we had the time and resources to load up V2 and copy features, that doesn't tell us what people really use it for or if it worked well to begin with. And since we haven't already included this feature, that's a good indicator that the developers themselves don't use such a feature. So that's what we're asking for. Tell us what you need it to do. And we'll figure out how to make it happen.

--Jon Chuchla--

Post Thanks / Like

So we have the twinkle effect and the candle flicker... The thing I noticed about the candle flicker is there is no option to change the color. While sequencing I noticed that I have a 8ft tall 1/2 circle with 2000 or 20 100ct multi incans on it. My color handling is set up so the element is blue, however if I use candle flicker with this element it only shows white(with either no option to change or unknown to me) In reality if I wanted anything but white this is useless to me. On the other hand we have twinkle- What exactly is the difference between these two? and what is the purpose of candle flicker

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Crab-Orchard-Christmas/223405451066297/"]Find us on Facebook[/URL] | [URL="http://craborchardchristmas.weebly.com/"][COLOR=#b22222]CrabOrchardChristmas.com[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#b22222]
    [/COLOR]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [COLOR=#008000]
    Whether it's E.L.F. or C.L.A.P, or an elf clapping... who knows... I have "it" either way!!![/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

Default New feature

Great question, one I have always wondered about as well. I know when I try both I usually if not always go with the twinkle.

John I would like the tapper function in the mark manager set to any key because I have better results when using multiple fingers to tape out marks especially on faster parts of a song and for repetitive parts. I also understand many may not want this feature so how bout maybe an "enable all keys" button or something could be added. Sometimes hitting every mark with just the space bar is somewhat challenging. I also know we can import beat tracks bit to be honest I have never had that work out for me as I never can tell what the beat track is going to and rarely has marks where I thought one should be. Just my attempt to explain why and how I would use the function.

P.S. You guys have always made me feel like we mear users were part of the team!

[B][SIZE=3][SIZE=4]not so new but still learning![/SIZE][/SIZE][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Not all effects are necessarily color aware. Candle flicker is the only one that currently isn't. It should still work on the lights though if you have the color handling set up right. The preview would just show white.

Twinkle and flicker differ slightly. Twinkle is more disconnected uniform pulses, but in a random pattern. Flicker is more linear in that it transitions from one level to another without first returning to zero.

--Jon Chuchla--

Post Thanks / Like

I must have had something wrong. I had all strands in a group, named pinwheel... listed 1-20 and color handling set to one color and chose blue. During sequencing like you stated the element shows white on sequence and preview... However I could never get it to output anything to the controller. They only time I found flicker would work is if my color handling for that element was white. It could have been me... I tried a couple of things and ended up switching everything to twinkle..

[/COLOR]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [COLOR=#008000]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast