Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: Help Repairing My Sagging Inflatables - Is Rejuvination Possible ?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    25
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Help Repairing My Sagging Inflatables - Is Rejuvination Possible ?

    I have had LOTS of experience with large inflatables, and the problem with all of them is the thread used to sew them is not UV resistant thread, it's ordinary thread. That means that over time, the thread holding the seams breaks down. I go over them when I put them up and again when I break them down to check the seams, and if necessary I just hand-sew them shut. Coats & Clark puts out an Outdoor Living Thread in a number of colors that is UV resistant. As a matter of fact, I got a brand new 11 foot dragon that flaps its wings this year for Halloween, and it ALREADY had a small break in one seam! An alternative and quick fix is to use clear Gorilla tape and tape over them. It has worked GREAT for me; it's water proof and holds beautifully, but should be applied when the piece is inflated (ask me how I know).

    These inflatables are made of nylon that SHOULD be waterproof, but often aren't. For that, Thompson's (as in Thompson's Water Seal for decks) has a fabric waterproofing spray that is permanent and doesn't discolor the fabric. It works great and will last at least for the time the inflatable is displayed. I usually respray the inflatable when I first put it up for the season. I got two cans -- which last quite a while -- at Home Depot; it's easiest to get at the beginning of the summer season, because it's ordinarily used on outdoor fabric cushions. Hope all of this helps!

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Help Repairing My Sagging Inflatables - Is Rejuvination Possible ?

    Quote Originally Posted by mattyw View Post
    I have had LOTS of experience with large inflatables, and the problem with all of them is the thread used to sew them is not UV resistant thread, it's ordinary thread. That means that over time, the thread holding the seams breaks down. I go over them when I put them up and again when I break them down to check the seams, and if necessary I just hand-sew them shut. Coats & Clark puts out an Outdoor Living Thread in a number of colors that is UV resistant. As a matter of fact, I got a brand new 11 foot dragon that flaps its wings this year for Halloween, and it ALREADY had a small break in one seam! An alternative and quick fix is to use clear Gorilla tape and tape over them. It has worked GREAT for me; it's water proof and holds beautifully, but should be applied when the piece is inflated (ask me how I know).

    These inflatables are made of nylon that SHOULD be waterproof, but often aren't. For that, Thompson's (as in Thompson's Water Seal for decks) has a fabric waterproofing spray that is permanent and doesn't discolor the fabric. It works great and will last at least for the time the inflatable is displayed. I usually respray the inflatable when I first put it up for the season. I got two cans -- which last quite a while -- at Home Depot; it's easiest to get at the beginning of the summer season, because it's ordinarily used on outdoor fabric cushions. Hope all of this helps!
    We have an old 8' Ginch we bought off ebay that won't stand on his own, he is 12 years old. When you wet the grinch (advice I read on another forum) he will stand on his own; however, about an hour and a half to two hours later, he falls again. We tried the Thompson's fabric waterseal, and that actually made it worse, he wouldn't even inflate as much as he did before. We hosed him off to try get as much of the fabric waterseal off, and he stood again....but because he was wet.

    Any advice?

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    787
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Help Repairing My Sagging Inflatables - Is Rejuvination Possible ?

    Quote Originally Posted by melianguidry View Post
    We have an old 8' Ginch we bought off ebay that won't stand on his own, he is 12 years old. When you wet the grinch (advice I read on another forum) he will stand on his own; however, about an hour and a half to two hours later, he falls again. We tried the Thompson's fabric waterseal, and that actually made it worse, he wouldn't even inflate as much as he did before. We hosed him off to try get as much of the fabric waterseal off, and he stood again....but because he was wet.

    Any advice?
    How did you apply the watersealer? Did you apply it to the outside or the inside of the unit?
    I feel that it needs to be placed inside the inflatable so that it is somewhat forced into the fabric by the air pressure and not just pushed off the surface.
    I use this and it works great. I spray it into the inflatable through the fan using short "bursts" of spray so that it spreads around with the air flow.
    Or if you rather, you can use a silicone spray one. There are also products like "RainGuard" and Hydro-Lok" out now that may be useful but I have not tried any of those so can't say if they would work better or not.
    I do agree that the thread on seams is a big problem maker with these things though and can cause a lot of inflation problems as it breaks or loosens up.

    It almost sounds like you have leaks in the seams from things as the spray made the fabric "tighten up" and the air just spread the seams more and the air leaked worse possibly? Sounds like your waterproofing allowed the seams and or fabric to swell and leak more if you used it on the outside.
    If that is the case, you will have to use a seal sealer and/or repair any broken threads. I tend to use the kind in squeeze tubes rather than spray as it is thicker and seals a bit better but the spray works very well. You have to seal seams while the inflatable is down though and allow the sealer to dry good before use.
    It does take time to go over one of these things and repair them but I do mine each year as I love to have them.
    Last edited by beeiilll; 12-23-2016 at 09:07 AM.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Help Repairing My Sagging Inflatables - Is Rejuvination Possible ?

    Quote Originally Posted by beeiilll View Post
    How did you apply the watersealer? Did you apply it to the outside or the inside of the unit?
    I feel that it needs to be placed inside the inflatable so that it is somewhat forced into the fabric by the air pressure and not just pushed off the surface.
    I use this and it works great. I spray it into the inflatable through the fan using short "bursts" of spray so that it spreads around with the air flow.
    Or if you rather, you can use a silicone spray one. There are also products like "RainGuard" and Hydro-Lok" out now that may be useful but I have not tried any of those so can't say if they would work better or not.
    I do agree that the thread on seams is a big problem maker with these things though and can cause a lot of inflation problems as it breaks or loosens up.

    It almost sounds like you have leaks in the seams from things as the spray made the fabric "tighten up" and the air just spread the seams more and the air leaked worse possibly? Sounds like your waterproofing allowed the seams and or fabric to swell and leak more if you used it on the outside.
    If that is the case, you will have to use a seal sealer and/or repair any broken threads. I tend to use the kind in squeeze tubes rather than spray as it is thicker and seals a bit better but the spray works very well. You have to seal seams while the inflatable is down though and allow the sealer to dry good before use.
    It does take time to go over one of these things and repair them but I do mine each year as I love to have them.
    That Thompson's fabric seal is what I used. I sprayed it on the outside and did a few bursts inside while it was off, but it definitely made it worse.

    I'll pick up a tube of that seal sealer and see if that helps now. Do you think if I hose down the outside enough it'll wash off the Thompson's that I sprayed on the outside?

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    787
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Help Repairing My Sagging Inflatables - Is Rejuvination Possible ?

    Quote Originally Posted by melianguidry View Post
    That Thompson's fabric seal is what I used. I sprayed it on the outside and did a few bursts inside while it was off, but it definitely made it worse.

    I'll pick up a tube of that seal sealer and see if that helps now. Do you think if I hose down the outside enough it'll wash off the Thompson's that I sprayed on the outside?
    You could also try washing it with a mild dish soap but usually once the stuff dries, it stays on there. I would definitely check the seams while it is inflated and see how they look. If the inflatable has lights in it, I find that checking it at night will show the areas of leaks up really better as you will see the "raw light" shining through any areas that are large holes. That way you can try and "fix" the places that seem to leak the worse first. Look at areas that any light attachment points might be sewn in at. They can get loose and cause leaks.

    Also at 8 years old, the fan may just be starting to get "tired" as well and doesn't have the same force to it as when it was new. You should check it for dust as well as see how easily it spins when off. A small touch of fine machine oil on bearings will help them (WD40 works as well just not a lot as it will attract dust if you use a lot).

    Hope this helps and have a Merry Christmas!

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    25
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Help Repairing My Sagging Inflatables - Is Rejuvination Possible ?

    Typically, the problem at least for me has been seams that started to part. I bought a brand new 11 foot dragon this year for Halloween that already had split about a 3" part in a seam. Fortunately, I sew, and I repair them myself by hand-sewing, using UV resistant thread. If I have a large expensive inflatable with a split in a seam, I patch the split while it's up, then resew the entire seam once it's down. I've just finished reworking some of the seams on a 16 foot hearse with Dracula inside. I have not sprayed it with anything; I will only do that if I see that there is water inside an inflatable after it rains. I have not had to use it on an inflatable often, but when I did, I used it on the outside while it was inflated. I have never used it inside an inflatable. Others who have say that it's more effective, but I would imagine that it would be difficult to make sure the fabric was evenly covered that way, particularly if it's a superlarge inflatable, as many of mine are.

    When I have sprayed inflatables, I haven't seen a difference in the fabric, such as puckering, after I did it. I try to spray one section at a time lightly, then re-spray it lightly when the first coat dries--about 24 hours later. I have also made replacement covers for outside furniture, and once sewn I always spray the fabric with two coats of Fabric Waterproofer. It works quite well. You can usually find it at or near the patio furniture display during the spring.

    It appears that this material is what is called "pongee" in the trade. It's rip stop nylon that has been treated to be waterproof, and it's the same material used for umbrellas, although it's a slightly heavier grade. You can purchase it by the yard in fabric stores in their utilities section in several basic colors.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    307
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Help Repairing My Sagging Inflatables - Is Rejuvination Possible ?

    Thanks for rejuvenating this discussion .. I didn't run inflatables this year but next year I'll have 5 or 6. I'll try some of these ideas in the off season.
    Thanks,
    Denny Cole, Cary N.C.

    [URL]http://christmascarolina.com.com[/URL]
    224 Channels LOR, 48 Channels Renard DMX, 54 Channels DC DMX, 2 E681 Pixel Controllers
    42K Lights - Mostly Incandescent, 4 Mighty Mini RGB Spots, Pixel Strips, 2 CoroFlakes with 100 Smart Modules, 8 Large RGB Ornaments
    9 TIR Destiny RGB Spots, "Hopped Up" Blowmolds, Wireframes, Inflatables with External Light Control
    [URL="http://www.ColeFamilyChristmasLights.com"]www.ColeFamilyChristmasLights.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/URL]

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Help Repairing My Sagging Inflatables - Is Rejuvination Possible ?

    Hi, so I read this whole thread. My grinch inflates, but it just keeps wanting to fall over (it's the Gemmy one from 2000). It has always worked when I tether it down, but last year I started having trouble. There appears to be no leaks in it. From reading some other message boards, it sounds like I don't need a new motor? Is there a way this motor is working, but just not blowing it up enough? Thanks for the help!

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Lancaster OH
    Posts
    147
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Help Repairing My Sagging Inflatables - Is Rejuvination Possible ?

    As your inflatables age the blower will wear out and the fabric will leak more as seams stretch. When I have one that is sagging a little, I'll spray the whole thing with starch. The starch makes the fabric less porous, keeping the inflatable better inflated.

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Help Repairing My Sagging Inflatables - Is Rejuvination Possible ?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMcK View Post
    As your inflatables age the blower will wear out and the fabric will leak more as seams stretch. When I have one that is sagging a little, I'll spray the whole thing with starch. The starch makes the fabric less porous, keeping the inflatable better inflated.

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    Thank you, I have read about using sealer, fabric softener but never starch. Do you just spray it on the seams? I just wanted to make sure it doesn't leave marks.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •