Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Powering LED Strings and SSRs

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Southampton, United Kingdom
    Posts
    102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Powering LED Strings and SSRs

    I have a multimeter - just need to get it out of the box a little more often!!

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lebanon, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    2,748
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Powering LED Strings and SSRs

    From the four pictures you presented, 3 are AC output, the fourth is DC.
    (My guess, based on much experience at getting it wrong when I was a much younger man.)

    A very quick tell is to look downstream from the controller. If there is a rectifier inline, you probably have AC out of the power packs.
    (LED lights by their very nature are DC, therefore only use one side of the wave.)
    Last edited by algerdes; 01-05-2015 at 05:13 PM.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Southampton, United Kingdom
    Posts
    102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Powering LED Strings and SSRs

    Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    From the four pictures you presented, 3 are AC output, the fourth is DC.
    (My guess, based on much experience at getting it wrong when I was a much younger man.)

    A very quick tell is to look downstream from the controller. If there is a rectifier inline, you probably have AC out of the power packs.
    (LED lights by their very nature are DC, therefore only use one side of the wave.)
    Having looked again at the pictures I can see what you mean now about the secondary output. 3 of them show the wavey line for AC and I can see the other one shows the solid and dashed line for DC. I'm learning all the time!! I have so many of these power packs and I really want to reduce them to a few power supplies that I can feed directly in to the SSRs, therefore not needing one of these wall warts on every single output from the SSRs.

    Am I correct in thinking that if I match the output of the wall wart with a different power supply that should work okay. For example, if I have 4 LED sets all with their own "DC output" wall wart (as pictured) could I use an SMPS instead which provides 30VDC to a DC SSR which then has a single string of the LED lights from each of the 4 outputs. And as for the LED sets with the "AC output" wall warts could I use a toroidal transformer, which provides 24VAC to an AC SSR and then have a single LED string of each of the 4 output channels. Is this too simplistic or does that all make sense??

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    326
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Powering LED Strings and SSRs

    I think it would be unwise to plug wall warts directly into an SSR - at least if you were going to be doing any dimming. Rather you would match the output power of the SSR itself with what you need. If you need 24VDC, use a DCSSR and a 24VDC power supply into it (A nice SMPS would be fine here). If you need 24 VAC, use an ACSSR and a 24VAC transformer to it.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Southampton, United Kingdom
    Posts
    102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Powering LED Strings and SSRs

    Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    From the four pictures you presented, 3 are AC output, the fourth is DC.
    (My guess, based on much experience at getting it wrong when I was a much younger man.)

    A very quick tell is to look downstream from the controller. If there is a rectifier inline, you probably have AC out of the power packs.
    (LED lights by their very nature are DC, therefore only use one side of the wave.)
    I've looked at some of the lights I have and from what I can see the ones that have a power pack with AC output do have a block in the wire. I've attached a picture to show you what I mean. Is that likely to be the rectifier?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mutleyrover; 01-09-2015 at 08:20 AM.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Newhaven, East sussex, uk
    Posts
    437
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Powering LED Strings and SSRs

    Hi there.
    That's a good question. I bought a lot of led strings last year that rusted up good. They had a multifuntion controller connected to them. Not one had the block as shown though. I need to research more
    80+ plus channels

    2 x 32 channel custom build tlc5940 dimmable DC controllers.
    1 ren 48 LSD v3c
    All rgb strips and 1 custom made face.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Southampton, United Kingdom
    Posts
    102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Powering LED Strings and SSRs

    I'm going to guess that your lights had power packs with a DC output. As I said before, I think the block in the wire (as picture) is to do with converting an AC output from the power pack in to a DC supply for the LEDs.

    Can anyone confirm if this is correct??
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Hudson MA
    Posts
    4,045
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Powering LED Strings and SSRs

    Quote Originally Posted by m00dawg View Post
    I think it would be unwise to plug wall warts directly into an SSR - at least if you were going to be doing any dimming. Rather you would match the output power of the SSR itself with what you need. If you need 24VDC, use a DCSSR and a 24VDC power supply into it (A nice SMPS would be fine here). If you need 24 VAC, use an ACSSR and a 24VAC transformer to it.
    There is no problem using the output of an AC wall wart to power an AC SSR (Lower voltages work while higher voltages than the specified design voltage causes magic smoke). Dimming will require the PWM version of the software. So if you insert the AC SSR between the Wall Wart and the LED string, you should have functioning control, as long as the string was of the constant ON type. If there is a multi-function control box between the wall wart and the string then you will have to bypass the control functions in that box. FYI: I had some of these strings and replaced the multi-function control with a full wave rectifier bridge and it worked very well.

    I would also like to correct a statement made in an earlier post: For the 64XC and any other controller that uses external SSRs, it IS possible to mix and match DC and AC SSRs. I myself run 8 channels of AC and 32 channels of DC on my Ren 64XC. NOTE: Controllers with integrated SSRs cannot mix and match on the same controller.


    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Southampton, United Kingdom
    Posts
    102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Powering LED Strings and SSRs

    Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    There is no problem using the output of an AC wall wart to power an AC SSR (Lower voltages work while higher voltages than the specified design voltage causes magic smoke). Dimming will require the PWM version of the software. So if you insert the AC SSR between the Wall Wart and the LED string, you should have functioning control, as long as the string was of the constant ON type. If there is a multi-function control box between the wall wart and the string then you will have to bypass the control functions in that box. FYI: I had some of these strings and replaced the multi-function control with a full wave rectifier bridge and it worked very well.

    I would also like to correct a statement made in an earlier post: For the 64XC and any other controller that uses external SSRs, it IS possible to mix and match DC and AC SSRs. I myself run 8 channels of AC and 32 channels of DC on my Ren 64XC. NOTE: Controllers with integrated SSRs cannot mix and match on the same controller.
    In your post you talk about a full wave rectifier bridge. Is that what the things are likely to be in my LED string wiring (post #17)?

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    326
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Powering LED Strings and SSRs

    Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    There is no problem using the output of an AC wall wart to power an AC SSR (Lower voltages work while higher voltages than the specified design voltage causes magic smoke). Dimming will require the PWM version of the software. So if you insert the AC SSR between the Wall Wart and the LED string, you should have functioning control, as long as the string was of the constant ON type. If there is a multi-function control box between the wall wart and the string then you will have to bypass the control functions in that box. FYI: I had some of these strings and replaced the multi-function control with a full wave rectifier bridge and it worked very well.
    Would that depend on the wall-wart? A DC linear regulated wall-wart, for instance, I would think would behave differently over an AC one. No clue what a switchmode wall-wart might do in that case. Someone feel free to school me on the topic

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •