Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Powering LED Strings and SSRs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Powering LED Strings and SSRs

A switch mode power supply is specifically designed for DC output. Some have variable output voltages from 3volt to 12 volt
    80+ plus channels

2 x 32 channel custom build tlc5940 dimmable DC controllers.
    1 ren 48 LSD v3c
    All rgb strips and 1 custom made face.

Post Thanks / Like

Having another look that looks too small to be a rectifier. Last season I bought some acrylic figures. They had a 24v DC output transformer and one those white links in the cable. So my thoughts are they are a moulded in line cable connector.
    80+ plus channels

2 x 32 channel custom build tlc5940 dimmable DC controllers.
    1 ren 48 LSD v3c
    All rgb strips and 1 custom made face.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by masterful View Post
    A switch mode power supply is specifically designed for DC output. Some have variable output voltages from 3volt to 12 volt
    Right but I don't know what the outcome would be for attaching it to an AC SSR and, likewise, a DC SSR. Switchmode PSUs that offer a wide input range still offer a consistent output range meaning the dimming wouldn't work as expected. Also, a linear DC PSU is going to behave differently as well.

I don't know enough about using SSRs with these types of devices, so I can't say if it's safe to use them with SSRs. My opinion? Wall-warts are a pain and I find a lot of failure rates in the switchmode ones. Seems like using the SSRs and PSU to what the lights want and getting rid of them entirely is still a better option where possible.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123