Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Running an independent/standalone LED Matrix display?

Pacifica, Calif (30mins from downtown San Francisco)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Running an independent/standalone LED Matrix display?

FWIW, you can run the LEDTriks/Triks-C on an FPP, using a USB/serial converter. You set up the text/graphics in Nutcracker.

I had this working in late November/early December but took it down when I wasn't able to figure out how to run it independent of the existing show (I fired up the XP machine); a second Pi running in slave mode would have done it.

\dmc
    [b]uC/LED hacking:[/b] [url]http://www.dmcole.net/[/url]

2. Likes marx1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like I said. Mine works great and I love it. Easy to build, atore, and program. Screenshot_2015-01-01-01-47-54.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Don't try to put it in the show. Makes it to hard to change if need be. This was not that expensive. And the SD card make is so easy.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the items on my TODO list for FPP v2.0 is to allow more than one sequence to be running at the same time. This would allow you to run one FPP system with one sequence running the tune to sign and another sequence running the rest of the show. Even is this wouldn't work for you, I agree with the others, the second standalone FPP instance should do what you want.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah that would be pretty awesome actually! But otherwise, as cheap as a Pi is, buying another one isn't really a big deal.

Still trying to figure out the panel build going this route though. On the Arduino side, I think I can chain up to 4 of these and use it as a basic display. In looking at the Triks-C docs, I would need 4 Triks-C's and maybe 4 Ledtriks if I'm reading that right?

4 panels gives me a 640x640mm or around a 25x25' space which should fill up the window nicely and let it be seen decently from the street was my idea. Assuming, of course, I don't make a gigantic pixel-based garage display But if I did that, I'd want to use it for the light show for sure. That and I'm almost certain the Mrs. will say no since I have a feeling that'd blow the costs up quite a lot (and still assuming I can still use my garage door ;) )
    Last edited by m00dawg; 01-02-2015 at 07:41 PM. Reason: First paragraph was nonsensical.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are using those sort of panels you won't need any Ledtriks hardware (the drivers are usually built into the panel itself).
    What you will need is a processor fast enough to refresh the panels. An Arduino might work for a simple single color display with limited dimming (like the original ledtriks)

Have you come across the Falcon Neo (on falconchristmas.com)? That might be another avenue to explore.

Post Thanks / Like

Aha ok. Yeah I was thinking Ledtriks might be doing something similar that an Arduino would be for the P10 panels but with a serial interface to the computer, which made me think it was required? If I don't actually need Ledtriks, that'd be one less thing. If I were to interface with a computer, I would still need something like a Triks-C though yeah? The Arduino route was just my brute force way of doing it to keep costs down.

Falcon Neo looks awesome! I'll be keeping an eye on that! Looks to still be in a beta period? I don't have the means (an oven) to do that level of SMD so I guess I'll need to wait on kits, but there's time yet before the next Holiday season of course ;) This would certainly allow me to do more fun things. I think even with a single color display, the Arduino may be under powered to drive the P10's. I'm pretty sure I've seen Propellers used for P10s but can't find any good info on that.

Anyways thanks for the mention of the Neo! I'm going to keep a super close watch on that! Sounds like my best bet all around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by m00dawg View Post

Here in South Texas it doesn't often get below freezing, and not for very long!
    M00dawg where in south Texas do you live? I live in deep south Texas and would love to get with someone in my area. I live in Rio Hondo if you know where that is!

Post Thanks / Like

Around the San Antonio, TX area so I'm still quite a ways from you I was close enough I was able to check out Matt's light show that was on ABC. It's pretty wild!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast