Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Best Coro cutter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Best Coro cutter

I need to cut a bunch of coroplast myself this year. Nothing too intricate, but it does include curves (I'm cutting letters "HAPPY HOLIDAYS" which will get populated with 12mm pixels). And I too have been thinking about the best way to do it. I don't really think a utility knife is gonna 'cut it' (pun intended) and I'm looking for an easier way to do the curves. My design files are already in vector format already (AutoCAD DXF) but as much as I would love to have a big CNC machine to do it, I have neither the space nor the money. Nor for a bandsaw. I have plenty of coro to spare, so I was gonna run some tests.
    The 2 ideas I have which I think will work best is:
    1a) A dremel tool with one of those sheetrock cutting bits and collar. The tool facing down and a piece of styrofoam under the coro.
    2) A homebrew hot wire cutter. I'll probably rig up a temporary worksurface/table similar to a bandsaw or scroll saw.
    1b) The dremel tool mounted facing up in a worksurface/table similar to a band or scroll saw.

I would certainly welcome any tips, suggestions, advice, tales of lessons learned the hard way, or good dirty jokes.
    Wizlights.com

Post Thanks / Like

I used 1a with a 1/8 strait bit and a dremel tool base http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plunge-Route...YAAOSwdzVXskBf

To cut this 100_2051.jpg I used my projector to trace image on the black coro and also used the foam backer
    Last edited by stallionent; 07-24-2017 at 05:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

If, you need help on design and development of making your own CNC cutting system. Leave me a message. 97 to 2000, I worked as a CNC cutting Systems Tech. What I did was install, repair, rebuild and train. I know the table and gantry systems well. The issues with building the gantry from wood is after wear the gantry becomes untrue and distorted. I would always consider using metal on your gantry and it makes no different what you use for the table it can be wood or steel or a simple frame used to hold your material in place. Another thing to consider if you decide to use your CNC cutting system to be fitted with plasma or any cutter that uses dirty high frequency power supplies ( plasma/welding power supplies, any power supply that uses high voltages) Use fiber optic for communication between computer and machine. What happens is the Hi freq feeds back into the RS232 and destroys the IO card.

Another common issue with DIY CNC systems is the drive. The best two drives I know of and are decades battle tested is the belt drive and the gear drive.

Belt drive: The belt is attached to the gantry with the drive motors mounted to the rail system. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9QU3YQe-Sc )
    Gear drive: stepper motors mounted to the gantry and uses a pinion gear method. (gear on stepper motor and steel rack mounted to the rail system. ( https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qim...add8f63f675605 )

Even, I myself has considered making them and selling them. I would also state consider that your system be designed to accommodate 8x4 dimensions.

Post Thanks / Like

I would really really love to have my own CNC. I've been drooling over them for years and years. In the 80's, I used to help a friend's dad program his to make custom race car parts in his professional machine shop and I've been hooked ever since.
    But I'm having enough trouble just finding room to store all my lights, much less a big CNC. And while the technology continues to improve and the price continues to go down, I'm retired and on a VERY limited budget.
    (sigh)
    Wizlights.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrWizard View Post
    I would really really love to have my own CNC. I've been drooling over them for years and years. In the 80's, I used to help a friend's dad program his to make custom race car parts in his professional machine shop and I've been hooked ever since.
    But I'm having enough trouble just finding room to store all my lights, much less a big CNC. And while the technology continues to improve and the price continues to go down, I'm retired and on a VERY limited budget.
    (sigh)
    Honestly they are much less to build than you would think. I understand about drooling over them, after PWMs went from 30k (westinghouse PWM) to 20 or 30 bucks in today's markerts. I have mulled it over may times, think I'm going to draw a few designs this weekend.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234