Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: System Lagging - Preview unusable

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: System Lagging - Preview unusable

Quote Originally Posted by derekbackus View Post
    Just so I'm clear, if you disable the controllers, CPU falls and the preview is fine?
    When I disable the controllers the CPU falls to 3% or so for the entire sequence but the preview does not play when the controllers are disabled. The sequence marks in the sequencer are "see-through" (instead of colored) and the preview is blank. Enable the controllers and the sequence marks return to their appropriate colors, preview plays, but lag and high CPU % returns
    2012: First year, 104 renard channels
    2013: 280 Renard Channels, 1050 Pixel Channels (2 x E6804)
    2014: Going pixel crazy!

[URL="www.strotherfamilychristmas.com"]www.strotherfamilychristmas.com[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Are you disabling the execution engine or disabling the controllers. The execution engine needs to be enabled, but the individual controllers disabled. I'm just trying to narrow down what the issue could be.
    Derek

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/backuslights"][IMG]http://www.kiwimill.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/facebook.png[/IMG][/URL]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    I'm not necessarily saying it's an AMD thing. Just making the observation that I'm starting to see that pattern. I know you're not a big computer guy so I'll try not to suggest too technical stuff. But does this machine have any functionality to adjust the CPU performance functions? I'd be looking for things that relate to CPU throttling or hyper threading settings. I know whenever I see a CPU usage above 50% that everything seems to slow down. Is your actual CPU chip properly heatsinked? If they get too hot they slow down.
    When we were laying out the v3 roadmap for this year we knew that performance optimization was one of the biggest priorities. We did make some significant headway, but we couldn't get as far as we wanted and still release s stable build for this season. So the trade off decision we made was to get the export functionality working so that other players would be a viable option for showtime. We then focused on making the sequenceing process as smooth as possible when the controllers were disabled. This seems to have been successful for most people. But there's still a lot of work to do on our end.
    So don't feel like you're giving up if you export and run with xlights. It's s viable option that's known to work well.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Per the ASROCK extreme tuning utility, the CPU is 91F

There is something called XFast RAM ReadyBoost that was off, I can turn that on and pick how many MB of ReadyBoost I want?

I also found APU/PCIE frequency that is 100 MHz, CPU Frequency Multiplier x 36.0, and GFX Engine Clock 760 MHz. Those are all adjustable.

Does that all look good or am I looking for something else?

Post Thanks / Like

Without actually looking up your CPU specs those numbers all sound reasonable. I was looking more for something like the speedstep settings (that's what Intel calls it) or anything that is related to how it handles multithreading.
    But follow Derek's line of thought first. It sounds like you're disabling the execution engine. Try stopping the controllers instead.

--Jon Chuchla--

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by derekbackus View Post
    Are you disabling the execution engine or disabling the controllers. The execution engine needs to be enabled, but the individual controllers disabled. I'm just trying to narrow down what the issue could be.
    Ah, I had the check marks disabled in the controller output options AND I had highlighted and hit the red stop sign to disable the controllers. I went in and put all of the check marks back to active and then put the stop signs on each of the controllers. When I do this the preview played flawlessly with vixen memory at 198 and CPU usage at a max of 44%.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok now I'm confused. Red balls means stopped and grey lines means running. Where are there check marks?

--Jon Chuchla--

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    Ok now I'm confused. Red balls means stopped and grey lines means running. Where are there check marks?

--Jon Chuchla--

in the controller configuration page where you put in the universes/IP/etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh those boxes. Yeah. If you uncheck those the controller module is just not sending data streams to those universes. But the controller module is still running and doing all the work to create the data.
    Stopping a controlled from the display setup screen actually disabled the controller entirely and it also disables and filters in the chain that are used exclusively by that controller. So it's a big difference in how much work the pc has to do.

--Jon Chuchla--

Post Thanks / Like

Ok nevermind that page should have nothing to do with it. I'm not sure why the sequence marks were see-through and the preview blank that once time with both the active boxes unchecked and the controllers disabled (red dot). But the preview is running perfect now that I have the controller disabled (red dot) with the CPU never going above 45% during the preview and no lag at all. When I enable the controllers and disable preview I don't notice any lag in the playback but the CPU % shoots up to 75-85%. So I will be able to sequence with the preview as long as I have the controllers disabled....but what does this mean for playback when its time to output to real lights...? Am I hypothetically going to have an issue with a CPU% that high?

Post Thanks / Like

Sooo.....I just seen something in another thread regarding the twinkle function causing issues. I did use this on my 1170 channel star quite a bit in the sequence that I have been running.....do you think that has something to do with the high CPU usage or is it already fixed?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast