Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Scheduler Instability

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Scheduler Instability

Quote Originally Posted by jeffu231 View Post
    Yep that is normal. It is a full application memory dump. You will need Dropbox or something like that. Zip it up and that will compact it a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Okay, I've uploaded the dump file to dropbox. The file compacted significantly with the ZIP operation down to 588 MB, suprised at that. ***NOTE: As I write this the file is still uploading on Dropbox, says 22 minutes left, so should be ready after 4:30 PST***

My show computer is a Dell Inspiron 530 with an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E4600 @ 2.4GHz with 3.0 GB RAM, 32 bit and is running Windows Vista Home Premium SP2.

I am running 12 sequences during the looped show, nothing in the startup or shutdown or background tabs. I am running around 5000 channels: 4800 pixel channels sent out one E1.31 plugin to an E682 with unicast and around another 250 renard channels going out another E1.31 plugin to a 6-port bridge.

When I run the show I have the preview and the web interface turned off.

I sure hope you can find something in all that data that helps!
    Last edited by OregonLights; 12-26-2014 at 07:57 PM.
    Alex

X3 Ren48LSD, X4 Ren16SS, X2 Ren24SS, X1 SRen32, FM-02, E1.31 Bridge
    X36 Super Strips, X9 Dumb RGB Mini Trees, ~25K lights (mostly LED)
    Pixel Mega Tree with 1600 pixels (4800 channels) run with an E682
    [IMG]http://i61.tinypic.com/2vaffhe.jpg[/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for providing the dump. I was able to analyze it and it basically confirms what I suspected. Your machine is running out of memory. This can happen at random times, because over time the memory becomes fragmented and it gets to the point it cannot allocate a big enough chunk of memory for some operation. You might see an improvement if you reduced the number of sequences in the show. That would consume less memory and probably give you some better stability.

Given the specs above and the channel counts you are running you are well past what I would consider reasonable for a 32bit machine. We are planning considerable work this year to reduce the foot print a lot more and make it more efficient, so Vixen will get better. The other thing you are going to run into is we are not going to continue creating 32bit builds. Microsoft has deemed the OS and the .NET runtime that supports 32bit as end of life. We have to move forward to keep making Vixen better.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Wow... Okay, thanks Jeff. It's good to know why this is happening. I thought my show machine was fairly decent but I guess the addition of my pixel mega put it over the top.

Other than a 64 bit system, are there other recommendations as I spec out a better CPU for 2015?
    Also, I assume this will be a somewhat common issue as folks continually expand their show, Vixen is improved and updated and the operating systems age. Is there a way to display an error in Vixen to signal the system ran out of memory?. This would help the user understand it is a hardware issue and not a glitch.

On another point, is the direction and intent of Vixen to support running a show of my size, our should I plan to use a FPP or Xlights in the future even after I upgrade my show CPU?. just looking for some input for the desired arrangement for planning purposes. I prefer to simplify and just run Vixen... But I can't sacrifice reliability for simplicity, so if I have to choose I must prioritize reliability so any input here in terms of strategic thinking is helpful to me.

Thanks again for your help!!. It is very appreciated.
    Alex

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it's our plan to make the playback vixen leaner and meaner for the next season. But with that being said, it's not a bad idea to have a plan B. We didn't get as far as we really wanted to this past season, and that could certainly happen again. Xlights is a very viable option and it's pretty quick and easy to set up on any pc to just play your exported sequences. FPP is another very good option and is fairly easy to set up and use.

I'll let Jeff handle the memory questions.

--Jon Chuchla--

Post Thanks / Like

It is hard to contain some memory errors and present a message to the user. In a lot of cases we might know an error occurred and it gets logged in the logs, but we don't try to analyze the error in the program. In many cases the system is in a unknown state and the best sneer is to just let it hard crash to prevent further corruption. In the logs you attached earlier where the beginning clues as it logged the out of memory error.

The machine itself is probably up to the task CPU wise depending on the the effect density in each sequence. The problem you are running into is the 32 bit OS limitations. The most memory the Vixen process can use is 2G. Out of that there is several hundred meg of overhead just to run the .NET environment leaving about 1.6G give or take for Vixen itself. During the scheduled show, it loads all the sequences up in memory at the start. This is not ideal and we are looking to change that. But that consumes a lot of memory. Pixel elements use a lot more memory as well because they have many more channels. It all adds up.

For next year I would move into the best system your budget will allow. I can't say how far we will get with the improvements, so it is hard to say how much will be enough. Plan B such as xlights and FPP are good to have on the table in any case.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jon and Jeff. So in sum, I need to update whatever I'm sequencing with Vixen 3 to a 64 bit machine to keep up with current software needs. If I stick with Vixen 3 for playing the show then I need to update it to a 64 bit machine with more than 3 GB of RAM. Or use a Raspberry Pi and FPP or Xlights to administer the show or perhaps keep that as a backup plan.
    Alex

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    Twinkle and nutcracker effects are the most complex effects we have in vixen 3. The more you use them the more work the sequencer needs to do. I'm not saying not to use them. But do expect it to take time to load/process these sequences.

On your preprocess hang, how are you defining the hang? Is it just taking s long time? Does it ever finish if you sit and wait?

I've found that one thing that causes confusion to the scheduler is sequences with a broken reference. I've seen this happen when you move your stuff to a show pc but the audio isn't in the right spot and can't be found. Reopening that sequence you'd find that it can't find the audio. If you just re associate it and save the problem goes away.

--Jon Chuchla--

Jon,
    I've noticed that sometimes when I drag an effect over it appears gray and nothing happens. It appears Vixen locks up. Not knowing what's happening, I have to force quit and relaunch Vixen. When the effect appears gray does that mean it's processing or and effect I can't use? Sorry but I can't at this time tell you what effect it is. Next time I will write down which effect and what it was being applied too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234