Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Phillips Illuminate System at Target

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Phillips Illuminate System at Target

Telemachus - do you find one or two pixels in each string don't exactly follow color with the others? I picked up 300 on the Saturday after Black Friday for 40% off and while I loved the concept and convenience I was concerned about the quality causing this issue on most of the strings - it could have been software - and the lack of control - no way you're doing complex animations unless your write your own app. Phillips is investing heavily into controllable lighting - see their "Hue" product which you can control from home automations such as z wave and zigbee. I I think you will see a more mainstream refined product next year. I actually read that their development team was looking for feedback on the target product.
    Then you have GE who is competing with this with their iTwinkle product. Basically evolution of color effects. They seem to have a little more functionality as well as blue tooth compatibility but I haven't had hands on experience.
    Good luck tinkering. Let us know if you figure out anything as I am sure these will be back in some form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Some of my whites are off a little but otherwise no is all good. I only have two strands.

Did you return them or keep?

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted to do pixels this past Christmas but knew I wouldn't have time to get them up and running, so I bought these and had 125 of these Phillips pixels on my roofline. My experience was that the quality control is terrible. I found that about half of the strings had bad pixels out of the box and needed to be exchanged. Usually it was red that was having problems. Eventually when I had 125 working pixels I installed them on my roof and for the most part they worked well for the season with just a few intermittent problems. My biggest complaint, besides the limited programming options, is that these lights are not bright at all. A neighbor had the GE lights and his were nearly twice as bright as these Phillips.

Now that I have taken them down I was testing the pixels indoors today and found one entire string only illuminates to about 5% intensity when the rest are full bright. It also was flickering the whole time and couldn't keep up with changing colors. I had several reds that did not illuminate as well as several that would not work in warm white, but would as cool white. Then about 20 minutes after I started testing them, another stand just stopped working entirely and I couldn't get it to come on at all afterwards.

Next year I'm moving onto a combination of real pixels and Pixabulbs. I'm interested in seeing if I can hack these to run off Vixen and my e682, but given the lack of quality I've experienced with these lights I'm not going to invest much time into them.

Post Thanks / Like

If pixa bulbs could somehow run off these controllers... that would be ideal. I like the ease and lack of power insertion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Telemachus View Post
    If pixa bulbs could somehow run off these controllers... that would be ideal. I like the ease and lack of power insertion.
    With the BrilliantBulb (same thing as the Pixa Bulbs), you can get 100 bulbs on a single string without power injection:

https://youtu.be/LRJXOhXSJ-g

http://www.holidaycoro.com/Brilliant-Bulb-p/709-ps.htm

Post Thanks / Like

I know this threads a little old, but if the protocol for these bulbs are indeed UCS1909 wouldn't the Alphapix 16 http://www.holidaycoro.com/AlphaPix-...3-p/721-v3.htm run the Target Illuminate C9 pixels? Or is there something else I am missing? Thanks

7. Likes Modus Ponens liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Reviving this thread to see if any new discoveries made. I purchased the illuminate display tree for $65 (normally $514) without the control box. The tree has 150 mini lights(pixels) and I was thinking I would take the lights off and use them to extend the mini "starter set" I already had. Only problem is the spacing of the lights on the tree are random lengths between bulbs. Some places its about 18" between pixels and other sections are about 12" spacing. The normal illuminate mini lights are 8" spacing. I can't find any other "starter kits" for sale and will need another brain for the tree.

Not sure why I keep buying/investing in these big box store oddball pixels instead of getting the type with common protocols.. Even when you buy them at a 75% discount they end up being more of a PITA than what it's worth.

Post Thanks / Like

I've also been researching these Phillips Illuminate lights. So far, all I have come up with, and what's already been mentioned here is that it is a 24V system using UCS1909 chips.
    I opened up the controller and found a 24V power supply, and a circuit board about 1.5 " x 2.5" that is covered in a opaque grey blob of epoxy.
    I have not tried hacking the http connection on the wifi side.
    I'm more focused on finding a controller that will allow me to use something like xlights to control the strands.
    I have about 7 strands of 25 bulbs each driven by two of the phillips controllers.

I'm thinking of taking the controller to a friend of mine who runs a lab and has access to an xray to see whats inside the epoxy.
    Or perhaps research how to chemically remove the epoxy.

Or look into any of the many controllers available that can talk to the UCS 1909.

Post Thanks / Like

I would be looking to cut the existing controller off and use the lights with another controller.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if you can buy the connector that is used on these lights, and what each wire is for (v/g/d, and a mystery 4th wire that doesn't get connected on the output side)? Instead of stringing them end to end, I'd like to split the signal at the top and mirror the selected effect (without buying more expensive controllers). E.g. splitting an effect out from the center of the roof instead of one end to the other, or synchronizing the same pattern on several columns.

For background, I picked up 19 strings and 4 controllers after Christmas this year for 70% off. I've used the philips pick-a-color before (don't care for the sequencing options and effect delay when it loops to start), but no other experience with other pixel products or sequencers before. I have a smidge of soldering/wiring experience and have programmed an arduino board once for a motor control sequence.

illuminate connector.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast