Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Phillips Illuminate System at Target

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Phillips Illuminate System at Target

Quote Originally Posted by dmoore View Post
    With the BrilliantBulb (same thing as the Pixa Bulbs), you can get 100 bulbs on a single string without power injection:

https://youtu.be/LRJXOhXSJ-g

http://www.holidaycoro.com/Brilliant-Bulb-p/709-ps.htm
    The same is true for Pixabulbs or any 12v Pixels. You can power at least 100 before needing power injection.

Post Thanks / Like

Good evening,

I have a question. We use these controllers and led lights on our house (my wife likes the simplicity of the controller). According to the info above they're using the UCS1909 protocol. I have a couple led strips and lights kicking around but they are WS2811 and not compatible. Is there anyway to get these to work with this controller? If not, what type of led strips/lights are compatible with USC1909 protocol.

I don't know a whole lot about this stuff yet. LOL

Ideally, I just would like to be able to wire up my own leds that work with these controllers.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Philips Illuminate strands working (partially) with an alphapix4 controller.
    Things to be aware of:
    - They respond to the ws8211 protocol
    - Although the controller that comes with them puts out 20 V, I have them running on 12v - (with just one strand, so far).
    - Each light in the strand of 25 is equivalent to 3 lights on a ws8211 strand. The first of the three is RGB, the second is Wxx, and the third is unused. (lower case x means unused)
    - You must program around the White led so that when you try to turn on the Red leds on, the white one is not also turned on.

So here is what a string of four lights looks like to the controller:

lights: --->|-- light 1 ----------------->|-- light 2 ----------------->|-- light 3 ----------------->|-- light 4 ------------->|
    channel: -->| - RGB ---> Wxx ---> xxx --->| - RGB ---> Wxx ---> xxx --->| - RGB ---> Wxx ---> xxx --->| - RGB ---> Wxx ---> xxx
    node: ----->| - 1 ------ 2 ------ 3 ------| - 4 ------ 5 ------ 6 ------| - 7 ------ 8 ------ 9 ------| - 10 ----- 11 ------ 12

So now you can see why when you try to turn on Red LEDs it will also turn on the White ones.

I created a model in xLights where the only lights in the model were 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, .... That seems to work.

They really are a pain to use but I have 12 strands of them. So I'm going to invest a bit more time to see how much more use I can get out of them.

I'm going to see how many strands I can plug end-to-end before either the voltage drops too far, or when I can no longer address the last light. I might turn up the voltage to 20V.

If someone were driving these with another controller, you may be able to code around the extra nodes in the controller. Perhaps setting nodes 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, ... to null pixels would work.
    Last edited by Modus Ponens; 12-09-2019 at 01:52 PM. Reason: format

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info!

Can you think of a way to use the Phillips controller on cheap led strips I can buy on Ali? These are discontinued but my wife likes them and I would like to be able to expand them using strips and such but would like to have it all synced with the existing Phillips lights because my wife is familiar with the app. I have extra controllers I can use.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

In order for a cheap led strip to work with the Philips controller it would need to be able to handle the 20V - 24V output, and it would have to mimic the 9 channels per pixel. I have not seen any such lights anywhere other than the Philips brand ones. I've seen other pixel strands that come with their own controller and phone app on Ali. But that would not meet your wife's requirement that they all be synced.

At this point, I'm not buying any more Philips hardware. I'm moving on to WS2811 based pixels. I'm going to keep one controller set aside for only running the Philips lights. And I'm only going to run the Philips icicle lights along my gutters.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123