Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Setup/Change Serial Port Freezing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Setup/Change Serial Port Freezing

Also which version of vixen did you install? (3.1 U2? Newest?)

Post Thanks / Like

Have reinstalled windows 8.1 64bit as a fresh copy....... Annnnd now vixen 3 is working!!! Thanks everyone for all the help! Now to play and create some sequences! :D As an amateur though, to create some of the awesome shows people have..... are they using Solid state relays to control there lighting?

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear it's working.

As to what people are using, there's a wide variety. Most of the more "awesome" ones aren't using arduino based controllers. It's more likely that they're Renard or LOR based, or pixel based. It scales much better.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Really really mad !!! After reinstalling windows I thought all was ok but today I have been playing around with my mega trying to use a ethernet shield working with vixen. Once I switched back to just the mega and generic serial vixen froze again when I tried to configure the controller. Obviously cant keep reinstalling's windows and slowly losing faith with vixen arduino and generic serial.

Post Thanks / Like

The reason vixen is locking up is because your driver, or another program using the driver isn't behaving correctly. Vixen doesn't make any differentiation at all from one serial driver to the next. It just uses whatever windows says is available. Is the mega's serial driver a windows certified driver for the OS version you are using? (WHQL) And is it certified for use as a virtual com port (VCP)? If not we can't make any guarantees.
    There very well may be workarounds in the arduino ide that get around this, but we're not about to do anything like that in vixen just to support one noncompliant device. All of our output modules conform to standards or use standard methods for their output. There are a few exceptions, but those were written by the people that needed it themselves.
    If you want a reliable controller, use one that's been designed for this purpose. You can even stay in arduino world and get this by using other designs and prewritten code. To my knowledge there are no finished controller designs based on the mega that have been specifically designed and tested for lighting control thru vixen. There very well may be a good reason for that. (Like the fact that it's not reliable enough)

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234