Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Setup/Change Serial Port Freezing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Setup/Change Serial Port Freezing

Here is something else that is strange.... After restarting computer I uploaded blink on to arduino to confirm it loading up ok then I loaded my sketch an and closed Arduino and unplugged USB.
    I have noticed tho, that if I open vixen and delete generic serial from the controller set up and delete the mega tree from the elements setup and then close vixen, when I reopen vixen the generic serial and the mega tree reappear. This even happens if I change the controller to renard or dmx, generic serial appears once I reopen vixen.
    Oh dear thought I was getting somewhere then but I took it one step further.....deleted generic serial and restarted computer...when I reopened vixen generic serial was missing and I thought I cracked it but then I plugged in my mega and added generic serial, configure generic serial, setup ....it froze !
    I'm thinking of reinstalling vixen now ?

Post Thanks / Like

Just uninstalled vixen and reinstalled it...when I opened vixen guess what ? Generic serial was already in the controller set up, I I'm really getting fed up with this now, I got another computer I can try on soon

Post Thanks / Like

Reinstalling probably won't help. But it won't hurt either. The profile is where your configuration is stored and that's neither deleted or defaulted when you uninstall/reinstall.
    You shouldn't need to touch your megatree or any other elements when messing with the controller configuration. Editing/deleting/recreation the output controller module is sufficient to change it.

Te sketch that's loaded in your mega should have no effect on vixen. So long as the cable is plugged in and nothing else is using the com port, vixen should open the port and send data. Of course lights are only going to blink if you have a sketch in it that's configured to parse the vixen data and do something with it. But the serial port functionality isn't part of the sketch and vixen doesn't care if the chip is doing nothing with the data.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

If you truly want to start from scratch, delete your profile. The default profile location is in your documents folder unless you've changed it. Go into your documents folder and delete or rename the whole vixen 3 folder.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I'll try that soon as I can , thanks for all your help for now

Post Thanks / Like

Have tried every version of vixen 3, each time uninstalling, deleting the save files in document's, deleting the temp files and removing any registrys associated with vixen and every time it freezes when trying to select a port in vixen. Works fine with arduino IDE. Also works fine with vixen 2. So theres some comptabilty issue. Hopefully theres a work around, but im yet to find it!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
    Have tried every version of vixen 3, each time uninstalling, deleting the save files in document's, deleting the temp files and removing any registrys associated with vixen and every time it freezes when trying to select a port in vixen. Works fine with arduino IDE. Also works fine with vixen 2. So theres some comptabilty issue. Hopefully theres a work around, but im yet to find it!!
    Which window version do you have?
    I have Win7 (64bit) laptop and no freezing.
    This is a low priority for the Vixen team, and few people experience this problem. So it may take awhile for them to look into it.

Post Thanks / Like

one thing to consider is Win7 and Win8 are default configured in the SYSTEM>Comports>Properties to shut down or sleep com/usb/bluetooth etc devices to save power.

Go in to the Windows System settings and check each com port/device and turn off the sleep/shut down option.
    Cheers!
    Steve

Learn 1 new thing everyday.

"AURBO" -- Aurora Borealis

My weather today

Chat link | Christmas Wiki link

Post Thanks / Like

A drastic step worked ! Over the last day I reinstalled windows...saving all my files first then reinstalling windows (not a massive geek so really it was only my photos ) Had to install anti virus first then I installed Arduino and got my mega working correctly on the com port...then I installed vixen 32 bit version...uploaded a sketch I been looking at ....opened vixen and configured the serial port as it should be....Yippi !!!
    I ain't got a clue why problem persisted but I got it sorted....For now ?
    Now as a newby ill move on to the next problem of why I can't get my light to patch together with the controller ?
    Many many thanks to all for the help ad advise

Post Thanks / Like

Nice cliff! May have to do the same as you then. Ill update this post if that problem solves mine also. Are you running a 32bit version of windows 8.1 then?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast