Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Setup/Change Serial Port Freezing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Setup/Change Serial Port Freezing

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    Specifically which driver version are you using and which usb serial chip is on the board you have?

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Arduino Mega 2560 R3 board

Driver for Arduino Mega 2560 version 1.0.0.0 Date: 04/01/2013

Chip is Atmel ATmega2560 16AU 1420

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Microco...item5b08fbecde

^ Exact one im using. (If links work)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi im having exactly the same problem trying to upload a sketch onto an Arduino Mega to run some pixels.
    I can upload the sketch from http://blog.huntgang.com/2014/11/08/...oller-ws2812b/ on to the mega, but when i try to configure the generic serial port Viven completly freezes and i have to restart the computer.
    If I restart the computer the try to set the generic serial first I can do this but as soon as i try to open Arduino and upload the sketch I just keep getting a error message COM port 4 already in use. Tried every which way but NO CAN DO !!!
    Im using Windows 8.1 with an Intel(R)core(TM) 13-3227U CPU @1.9Gz with a 64bit operating systen. Im also using Vixen 64bit version.
    Maybe soon ill try the 32bit version but for now MY HEAD HURTS !!!!!
    HELP HELP HELP

Post Thanks / Like

Only one program can use a serial port at any given time. This is true of all serial devices. You cannot access the device from the arduino ide and vixen. Only one of the two should be open at a time.
    Vixen will open the port as soon as its first configured and every time it's running thereafter.
    Other programs vary on when and how they access and lock the port. As well as how they release it when it's no longer using it. It sounds like once the arduino ide has claimed the port it isn't releasing it until you reboot. I've seen this behavior with various uno knockoffs. I don't have a mega to test with so I wouldn't be able to verify.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Same thing happens though after the code has been loaded onto the arduino and i reboot the laptop, then run the vixen software. Cliff is your microcontroller a genuine arduino?

Post Thanks / Like

No my arduino is a copy but I do have a real uno I can try tomorrow. Even if I load the arduino and then close the program down vixen still freezes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
    Same thing happens though after the code has been loaded onto the arduino and i reboot the laptop, then run the vixen software. Cliff is your microcontroller a genuine arduino?
    We need to be clear as to the exact procedure you are using. As jchuchla has already explained, you can't have "two people talking while one is listening". When you upload to your Arduino, you can't have Vixen open on the same COM port. First shutdown Vixen then upload your Arduino. After your upload, and without opening your Serial Monitor, you can now open Vixen and run your sequence. Is that what your were doing?

Post Thanks / Like

Restarted computer opened Arduino and uploaded sketch.....No problem
    Opened vixen 3...set up display...configure Generic serial....Setup/change serial port......VIXEN FREEZES !!! back to work first day for 2 weeks boooo! talk laters

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cliff smith View Post
    Restarted computer opened Arduino and uploaded sketch.....No problem
    Opened vixen 3...set up display...configure Generic serial....Setup/change serial port......VIXEN FREEZES !!! back to work first day for 2 weeks boooo! talk laters
    I'm using Win7, and Vixen 3.1U2 but was unable to duplicate your problem. My Vixen 3 didn't freeze.

Once your sketch is loaded in your Arduino you don't need the IDE. So try a different approach as follows.
    Have Vixen, and the Arduino IDE closed.
    Plug in your Arduino via your USB cable, but don't open the Arduino IDE, then open Vixen 3 and see if your COM port selection still causes the freezing.

Post Thanks / Like

I just tried my other genuine Arduino uno and guess what.... vixen froze again !
    So back to the mega I restarted computer....again....and I now plugged in my arduino via USB as suggested, left Arduino IDE closed and opened vixen, configure generic serial, setup/change serial port....It Froze !! Restart computer again

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cliff smith View Post
    I just tried my other genuine Arduino uno and guess what.... vixen froze again !
    So back to the mega I restarted computer....again....and I now plugged in my arduino via USB as suggested, left Arduino IDE closed and opened vixen, configure generic serial, setup/change serial port....It Froze !! Restart computer again
    Do you have another computer to try?
    Or uninstall Vixen 3 reboot PC and then re-install Vixen 3 again?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast