Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Setup/Change Serial Port Freezing

Post Thanks / Like

Question Setup/Change Serial Port Freezing

Hi, I tried everything at this point and I just don't know what else to do. So seems to be a bug.
    I installed and configured everything on my Vixen 3 + Arduino UNO for a project.
    The arduino code is place but vixen signals seems not to be sending to the arduino.
    I renamed the profile, created a new one, changed a few other things but nothing worked so I uninstalled, cleaned the registry, reboot the machine, and installed all again.
    Now, when I try to configure the serial port it simply freezes!!!!
    If the arduino is not installed I can't setup the port, if the arduino is installed it freezes - it doesnt crash and also doesnt throw an error or anything.
    Anybody ideas?

PS. I'm on Win8.1-64 / below the screen that freezes the software
    PPS. Installed on my win7 that never had vixen before and everything worked fine!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Setup/Change Serial Port Freezing

I'm having the exact same problem except I'm using an Arduino MEGA.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a few bits of information that may help you.

You can only select or configure a com port in vixen that is not currently in use by another program. Your arduino IDE must not be open when vixen is open.

There are several reasons why vixen might not be able to access a com port. We have only been tracking two of those reasons until recently. The newest dev builds will now trap and log the reason for the failure to connect to the port for all of the error conditions. This won't fix your problem, but it will create log entries so that we can help you troubleshoot. This is included in dev build 63. Note that these are development builds, and while this one is pretty stable, it is still a dev build that can crash and cause data loss, so standard backup disclaimers apply.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it possible to share the two reasons that would cause Vixen to not be able to access the COM port and freeze? It sounds like one of them is when the arduino IDE is running, which is not my case, so I'm thinking I may be dealing with the other one. I'm only having this issue with a Windows 8 OS, my old XP system worked fine until it finally gave up the ghost this past weekend.

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like

I can't say I know them all. But one for sure is that it's in use by another program. Another is if it is in use by another driver that is not a com port. An example of this is the FTDI drivers will operate in virtual com port mode and it will also work in a direct mode using the d2xx driver. This mode is used when it's operating as an open dmx device. As to the other 3 error reasons I'm not exactly sure.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

By the way: we've been getting several reports of problems with serial devices on win 8.1. It seems to be working fine on vista, 7 and 8. But not stable on 8.1 we're trying to track this down.

--Jon Chuchla--

Post Thanks / Like

Did you ever get this issue fixed as im having the same problem and its driving me crazy trying to find a work around.... Any help would be great. Cheers Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Not yet. But we're not looking that hard at the moment either. We've been in "next season mode" for about a month now and are focusing on the bigger things before we get back to the little bugs that are hard to replicate. Believe it or not, there haven't been all too many reports of the serial port problems. It's probably less than a dozen people having these problems. It's likely hardware driver related because it seems limited to win 8.1 and it's not very many people seeing the problems. None of the devs have been able to replicate the issue, but that's probably because we don't have the identical serial devices as those having issues.

--Jon Chuchla--

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    Not yet. But we're not looking that hard at the moment either. We've been in "next season mode" for about a month now and are focusing on the bigger things before we get back to the little bugs that are hard to replicate. Believe it or not, there haven't been all too many reports of the serial port problems. It's probably less than a dozen people having these problems. It's likely hardware driver related because it seems limited to win 8.1 and it's not very many people seeing the problems. None of the devs have been able to replicate the issue, but that's probably because we don't have the identical serial devices as those having issues.

--Jon Chuchla--

Thanks for the reply. Have the mega 2560 communicating with vixen 2. But as you said, Vixen 3 doesn't seem to work with windows 8.1. Not sure if its because it isn't a genuine arduino? I would get a different micro-controller if that were the case as i prefer the features of vixen 3. Would like to have it all set up so i can start to design a sequence for next Halloween/Christmas.
    Have tried quite a few versions of vixen 3 and run them in compatibility mode for windows 8. Still no avail.
    The driver for the mega was installed from the arduino website and is attached to com port 4.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Setup/Change Serial Port Freezing

Specifically which driver version are you using and which usb serial chip is on the board you have?

--Jon Chuchla--

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast