Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Preview Doesn't Display Fast Effect

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Preview Doesn't Display Fast Effect

Something else comes to mind. When I'm working on my laptop and it wasn't plugged in, it was slowing down to conserve the battery. I would have to tell it to use "High Performance" to get a good response time from my system. Not sure if this is the case, but when using Vixen, make sure you are in "High Performance" or perhaps "Balanced" mode. If the preview gets behind, it can drop frames.
    Derek

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/backuslights"][IMG]http://www.kiwimill.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/facebook.png[/IMG][/URL]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like

Do you actually need to delete the controllers for it to stop working or does stopping them produce the same result?

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The 50ms effects run smoothly and as expected in the preview ONLY when at least 1 controller is added (e1.31 - not tested on others), whether enabled or disabled and with or without patching. If no controllers are added then preview playback is choppy, effects are intermittent and may or may not show at all.

We've tested on 2 different desktops. One with specs of Core i-7 4770k with a GTX680 graphics card and 24gb RAM, the other is a Core i-7 2600k using onboard graphics and 8gb RAM. Both custom built. They both deliver the same results as noted above.
    Michelle
    [URL="http://www.ReddingLights.com"]http://www.ReddingLights.com[/URL]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like

ah yes, this explains it. The update interval is based on the fastest of the controller update interval. If there are no controllers to determine the update interval, it defaults to 200ms. Thus the random flashing and skipped effects. Just having a controller there is all that matters, it can be turned off and it will be fine. I'll fix this up in a future release.

Quote Originally Posted by pcmom View Post
    The 50ms effects run smoothly and as expected in the preview ONLY when at least 1 controller is added (e1.31 - not tested on others), whether enabled or disabled and with or without patching. If no controllers are added then preview playback is choppy, effects are intermittent and may or may not show at all.

We've tested on 2 different desktops. One with specs of Core i-7 4770k with a GTX680 graphics card and 24gb RAM, the other is a Core i-7 2600k using onboard graphics and 8gb RAM. Both custom built. They both deliver the same results as noted above.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    That sounds like a video card limitation in your pc. Many video cards switch modes depending on whether they are running windowed or full screen. This is sometimes the case with very basic video chipsets. These would rely on the main CPU and memory to do a lot of the work in generating the video. When you switch to full screen it will dedicate more resources to the video system to enhance performance. Are you running on a laptop? This is more often the case on laptops.

--Jon Chuchla--

On a desktop. And I havent had any more problems since I posted about maximizing the window. Working great here in any size window now. I haven't changed any settings controller wise or anywhere else. Just maximized the window then minimized and it's been working great every since! It was very choppy but now perfect. Maybe my CPU was just having a slow day I dont know but all good here now!
    [B][SIZE=3][SIZE=4]not so new but still learning![/SIZE][/SIZE][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

What an interesting bug that PCMOM found!

Post Thanks / Like

That's one of those cases we probably didn't test very well. One of the first things most of us do when testing is to define some elements and a controller. To me at least, it never occurred to test it without setting up a controller. You need at least one controller to get any output, even an export. But we have always said that you can sequence before worrying about your controller setup, so we should make it work.

--Jon Chuchla--

Post Thanks / Like

For what it's worth, I just spent an hour trying to figure out what was happening here. I have one sequence that runs butter smooth, then created a new profile, preview, and sequence and most my animations were inexplicably running at the awful-looking 5fps frame rate. Once I added a controller, it all looks nice again. I really hope this bug is addressed, or at least documented somewhere.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123