Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED String Light Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default LED String Light Question

My neighbor, across the street, is joining me this year with his own Christmas lighting.
    We will be controlling both homes from my computer wirelessly. He has purchased
    some Renard SS Kits, which I assembled for him. He is at the point of beginning to
    purchase his lights. I am inclined to suggest that he start with LED strings instead of
    incandescent. I have almost 30,000 lights in my own display and 99% are incans.
    I have thought about converting to LED, but I would have to do it a little at a time
    because of the expense !! If he decides to go the LED route, can anyone suggest any
    local retail stores that sell LED Strings that are already "full wave"? I know he can purchase
    them online, but would rather get them locally, if possible. We do not have Menard's,
    but do have Target, Walmart, Lowes, Homedepot, etc. I am not that familiar with
    the commercial brands that are already full wave, so any suggestions would be greatly
    appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: LED String Light Question

Kmart is closing a number of stores, and the one locally here already has Christmas decorations out at 20% off. I don't know if their strings are full-wave, although I've bought some and could check them out.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by P. Short View Post
    Kmart is closing a number of stores, and the one locally here already has Christmas decorations out at 20% off. I don't know if their strings are full-wave, although I've bought some and could check them out.

Thanks! I would appreciate it !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amigorick View Post
    Thanks! I would appreciate it !
    I tested one string, a red 50-count C6 LED string. It was half-wave.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

There may be some one here with some full wave converters. I got a bunch of lights from Target last year but they were half wave. I have about 108 of the pcb for the converter and some of the diodes but not enough of them for all the pcb. They are pretty cheap however. I think you can get them from Tayda for about 2 cents each. If you are interested in these PM me and I will let you have them for $5.00 to cover the shipping.
    Terry

Post Thanks / Like

Can some one explain what "Full Wave and Half wave" is? Thanks

7. Thanks Generalf thanked for this post
    Likes Generalf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess not...lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

I went two different routes. I bought "fairy" lights from Amazon ($3.99 a string) and converted them to full wave (about 100 strings of 100 LEDs), and I placed an order with Home Depot online. Home Depot has 100 count c-5's for 10.99 a string. I used these exclusively last year and had 0 failure. The site would not let me order more than 50 strings in a single order however. All in all I have raised my string count by 150 this year. I just started last year with the light show and started with all LED.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never had luck with the box store LED Christmas lights. It seems that they are not fully enclosed which means that they end up corroding after being exposed to the elements. Two years in a row, I ended having to replace my strands b/c the LED connections had rusted out. Last year I purchased C9 replacement bulbs that screw into a standard C9 string and really like the result (full wave btw).

The difference (at a high level) between Half and Full wave lights are that half wave lights flicker slightly and cannot be dimmed. Full wave lights have no flicker and can be dimmed. I know there is probably a more technical answer but I am sure this is good enough...v

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast