Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I going to have to spend 2000 dollars

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Am I going to have to spend 2000 dollars

Depending on how far you need to locate the panel the parts cost could be $200-$500. If you don't know what you are doing I would suggest getting the help of someone that does. The big expense will be the wire. Copper prices seem to have stabilized and come down a bit, but the prices are still high.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's what I thought to be a creative solution.
    Bob
    ----
    I love the smell of solder flux in the morning....smells like Christmas magic...[URL="http://photobucket.com/setup-2008"]Set up Done!![/URL] [URL="http://www.vimeo.com/rlilly/videos"]Showtime!![/URL]
    (for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true) Ephesians5:9

Post Thanks / Like

Things to consider:

- 100amp service has 100amps on BOTH legs, giving a total of 200amps usable power for the WHOLE HOUSE. You must balance your power use on each leg.

- Get some type of amp meter to make sure your calculations are correct. Many times you will be way under on actual usage because some lights are rated higher than they actual draw. I got a Kill-A-Watt meter for about $25 delivered and that made me sleep a lot better at night knowing I was within safe limits for each circuit.

- Make sure you do not draw more power on a circuit than your breaker is rated for. Check for other devices also on that circuit before using.

- Adding a subpanel, 2 or 3, 20amp circuits, GFCI's, wire and mounting boxes should cost about $150-400 in parts, depending on distance and how fancy you want to get. I like the good quality Square D breakers, and 12-3 wire should be good for a 20 amp circuit.

- Compute cost of LED vs standard mini-lights. For me it was cheaper to get 14 strands of LED's, for each of 3 colors for my roof, than to use mini-lights. I was able to run the whole roof on 3 channels, one for each color with 14 strands of LED's on each channel, instead of 15 channels. This saved a whole controller box, lots of extension cords, and about 13 amps of power. For the rest of my display, I used mini-lights.

- Only use 1 hand at a time when dealing with high voltage, stick the other in your pocket. Assume every wire has power, even with the circuit off. Power Kills.

- Finally, if you are not sure how to do this, contact a local electrician.

jeffathompson Guest

Danger Will Robinson
    Last edited by jeffathompson; 06-06-2008 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Danger

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffathompson View Post
    Ummm, no it doesn't. A 100 amp service means the entire load may not exceed 100 amps. You can draw 100 amps from one side, but then your load on the other side would need to be zero.

You should be careful about the advise you give. Please call an electrician people. I am begining to see how dangerous this can be.
    Michael is correct. 100 amps is at 220v. You can not exceed 100 amps on either leg. A 100 amp service has the capacity of 100 amps on each leg, at 110v.
    You still need to balance your loads.
    Thanks,
    Brian, your friendly site Admin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Macrosill View Post
    Michael is correct. 100 amps is at 220v. You can not exceed 100 amps on either leg. A 100 amp service has the capacity of 100 amps on each leg, at 110v.
    You still need to balance your loads.
    YES!! Remember the main breaker and supply coming into your house ist 220V and whatever amps. I have a 150A main breaker. there were 3 slots left in the main breaker at my house. I had 3 20A breakers put in along with the 15A from last year. I have about 200 channels planned this year. I am able to run about 217 mini light strings AT ONE TIME. Thats 217,000 lights at one time. I only plan to have 35,000 lights in the display!! See how that works?!

Ben
    128 lynx Freestyle DMX channels(not all used), 4 SSR4 DMX channels, 120 Ren24 channels, and 48 Ren16 channels!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ben View Post
    I am able to run about 217 mini light strings AT ONE TIME. Thats 217,000 lights at one time.
    So, where did you get the 1000-count strings Ben?
    Don

jeffathompson Guest

Default Dange

The lawyer friend says stay out of it
    Last edited by jeffathompson; 06-06-2008 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Danger

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by omzig View Post
    So, where did you get the 1000-count strings Ben?
    Oops!! I mean 21,700!!!

Ben
    128 lynx Freestyle DMX channels(not all used), 4 SSR4 DMX channels, 120 Ren24 channels, and 48 Ren16 channels!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow

This thread has so much conflicting information that it becomes scary for members to decipher truth.

A quick search in google gave me a good read from Wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split_phase

I found this informative as the distribution of AC power is different to Aus with it's 240v.

On of the key quotes from this article for this thread is..
    Quote...
    If the load were guaranteed to be balanced, then the neutral conductor would not carry any current (and so, would not be needed) and the system would be equivalent to a single ended system of twice the voltage with the live cables taking half the current.
    Endquote....

Plain english interpretation.
    A 200A - 240v split feed that has balanced loads will carry 400A at 120v. 200A on each leg with no current on the neutral.

Lets write that another way
    240v x 200A = 48kVA
    so
    48kVA / 120v = 400A

I make no inference to the type or size of circuit breakers installed btw.

Now lets take Jeff's 100 + 10 example.

At 100A on on side(phase) only you have 100A on leg 1 + 100A on the neutral.
    Now add 10A on the other side (phase)
    you now have 100A on Leg 1
    10A on Leg 2 and 90A on the Neutral.

I'd of course consider this a badly unbalanced circuit and it would be liable to trip breakers all the time.

When in doubt talk to your qualified electrician - they have been trained to do this correctly.

Aussiephil
    Last edited by aussiephil; 06-05-2008 at 07:48 PM.
    2012:
    Software: LightFactory Personal
    Hardware: J1Sys Pixel controllers . [url]Http://www.j1sys.com[/url]
    Lights: 6000+ Pixels and 20k+ LEDs
    Channels: around 20,000 channels

You know where to find me....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast