Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Vixen 3 export for Falcon FPP...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vixen 3 export for Falcon FPP...

Does anyone even have a pi 2 in hand yet? I'm still waiting on mine.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Thanks Lowepg thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Vixen 3 export for Falcon FPP...

At least a couple FPP developers have the Pi 2 B in hand already. I know Mat has one and I have one sitting on the desk in my office. We also have several users already running FPP on the Pi 2 B using a FPP install script that we created to prep our SD images for the Pi and BBB.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm one of those who preordered early and got stuck on a wait list. I see they're now available on Amazon for immediate shipping but at a price premium.
    Chris, are there any significant advantages to the pi2 that are actually relevant to the FPP. It looks like a great unit but it's upgrades seem to be overkill to what the fpp would need.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    I'm one of those who preordered early and got stuck on a wait list. I see they're now available on Amazon for immediate shipping but at a price premium.
    Chris, are there any significant advantages to the pi2 that are actually relevant to the FPP. It looks like a great unit but it's upgrades seem to be overkill to what the fpp would need.
    I'm wondering the same thing. I have a mix of Pi B and B+ now and they both ran FPP just fine with no issues, lags, freeze-ups, nada.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the main benefit is for people running scripts on the Pi especially things that use the pixel overlay feature of FPP the allows you to manipulate the channel data in realtime while the show is running. One example of this was the text messaging functionality that Matt Johnson used in his show and demoed on the Christmas Light Fight show.

The multi-core processor may also help out some for users with lots of different channel outputs since FPP is multithreaded. FPP v2.0 will have each channel output running in its own separate thread so a slower output such as a USB serial interface doesn't hold up any faster channel outputs such as the FPD attached via SPI or E1.31/sACN. Extra cores will also help with the UI speed and the UI won't take away CPU cycles from the main program playing a sequence like it does when running with a single core.

I may make my V2 B my main show computer for the above reasons even though my 2015 channel count will be low compared to what some ran with FPP in 2014.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, I will have to check this out. I did not even know there was a Pi 2...

My attention has been off Christmas lights now and fully on my latest technological interest, drones! This last weekend I did my first fully autonomous flight to our neighborhood park and back without any manual intervention. You can see my video here: http://youtu.be/spzukRbo0js

Chris, I need you to figure out the hardware to interface a stereoscopic GoPro setup to the Oculus Rift without the need for a PC to use with drones to get a 3D first person view. I will pay you $1 million :-)

Matt Johnson
    johnsonlightshow.com

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMurdoch View Post
    I think the main benefit is for people running scripts on the Pi especially things that use the pixel overlay feature of FPP the allows you to manipulate the channel data in realtime while the show is running. One example of this was the text messaging functionality that Matt Johnson used in his show and demoed on the Christmas Light Fight show.

The multi-core processor may also help out some for users with lots of different channel outputs since FPP is multithreaded. FPP v2.0 will have each channel output running in its own separate thread so a slower output such as a USB serial interface doesn't hold up any faster channel outputs such as the FPD attached via SPI or E1.31/sACN. Extra cores will also help with the UI speed and the UI won't take away CPU cycles from the main program playing a sequence like it does when running with a single core.

I may make my V2 B my main show computer for the above reasons even though my 2015 channel count will be low compared to what some ran with FPP in 2014.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by idleup View Post
    Chris, I need you to figure out the hardware to interface a stereoscopic GoPro setup to the Oculus Rift without the need for a PC to use with drones to get a 3D first person view. I will pay you $1 million :-)
    Sure, send me a requirements doc, all interface specs, and the standard 50% down payment and I will get right on it.

9. Likes livinglightshows liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What would I need to get to power a Rasberry from the 12v power supplies I already have.

I ordered from https://www.mcmelectronics.com/conte...S/raspberry-pi as soon as I knew about it. I've had mine a couple of weeks now but have not done anything with it yet.

Post Thanks / Like

DC - DC converter. 12v to 5v
    2012: 24 channels with 1 Renardss24 * 2013: 48 channels with 2 Renardss24's * 2014: Took the year off * 2015: Life Got in the Way
    2016: 1000 Channels for Halloween, mix of A/C, RGB, Pixels. Christmas over 17 universes, all Pixels, oh boy...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmoofy View Post
    What would I need to get to power a Rasberry from the 12v power supplies I already have.
    You could use a standard 12v to 5v converter or pickup an adjustable buck converter for a couple bucks off eBay.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast