Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vixen 3 export for Falcon FPP...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vixen 3 export for Falcon FPP...

1. Last year I had about ~7000 channels and that was maxing V3 out (stuttering). No imported elements from V2, moderate use of nutcracker. This year I will have ~15,000 channels in use, almost all pixels.

2. I am okay with the final export taking a long time as long as I can still preview my sequence as I develop it. If it is going to be slow and choppy to preview what I am developing then that will be difficult to work with. I imagine if I am developing the show in sub-sequences as your third question suggest then it should be okay to preview since each sub-sequence file will only have a portion of effects right?

3. I am not quite sure how I could sequence my show in separate sub-sequences and still have elements synchronized to each other and to the music? It would work if I created multiple sequences all the length of my final show (7 minutes) and then included the full music file in each one and only worked on 1 minute worth of element effects in each one one, then it could be synchronized successfully when merged. But it would not work creating seven one-minute segments and merging them back-to-back. So I think the answer is yes, this is okay, as long as it works the first way.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

- Matt

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    So since this thread has most of the people looking for export, I'm going to slightly digress and ask a few questions.
    What total channel counts are you working with? (I'm talking controller channels, not elements and groups)
    Are you ok with an export taking a long time? The assumption is you don't have to do it often.
    Can you sequence part of your show seperately from the rest? Given that it's not only the export that runs slow, but large sequences also affect preview and playback during sequencing as well. So would you be able to work on different parts of your display in separate sequence files and then merge them together after/during export? For example, maybe your pixel megatree is it's own sequence and your big matrix or plasma icicles another one, and the rest of your display in a 3rd? The idea is to break the sequence into workable chunks and then put them all together for final export/playback.
    These workarounds are obviously less than ideal, but they may help us get something out faster while we continue to work on the main engine. I'm not promising anything. Just exploring options and opinions to see what is worthwhile.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Last year I had about ~7000 channels and that was maxing V3 out (stuttering). No imported elements from V2, moderate use of nutcracker. This year I will have ~15,000 channels in use, almost all pixels.

2. I am okay with the final export taking a long time as long as I can still preview my sequence as I develop it. If it is going to be slow and choppy to preview what I am developing then that will be difficult to work with. I imagine if I am developing the show in sub-sequences as your third question suggest then it should be okay to preview since each sub-sequence file will only have a portion of effects right?

3. I am not quite sure how I could sequence my show in separate sub-sequences and still have elements synchronized to each other and to the music? It would work if I created multiple sequences all the length of my final show (7 minutes) and then included the full music file in each one and only worked on 1 minute worth of element effects in each one one, then it could be synchronized successfully when merged. But it would not work creating seven one-minute segments and merging them back-to-back. So I think the answer is yes, this is okay, as long as it works the first way.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

- Matt

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    So since this thread has most of the people looking for export, I'm going to slightly digress and ask a few questions.
    What total channel counts are you working with? (I'm talking controller channels, not elements and groups)
    Are you ok with an export taking a long time? The assumption is you don't have to do it often.
    Can you sequence part of your show seperately from the rest? Given that it's not only the export that runs slow, but large sequences also affect preview and playback during sequencing as well. So would you be able to work on different parts of your display in separate sequence files and then merge them together after/during export? For example, maybe your pixel megatree is it's own sequence and your big matrix or plasma icicles another one, and the rest of your display in a 3rd? The idea is to break the sequence into workable chunks and then put them all together for final export/playback.
    These workarounds are obviously less than ideal, but they may help us get something out faster while we continue to work on the main engine. I'm not promising anything. Just exploring options and opinions to see what is worthwhile.

3. Thanks Gnarmstr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Currently looking at ~18,000 channels this year.

I can currently preview or output without any lag, just not both at same time.

Really not fussed if it takes a long time as only done occasionally. Would prefer it taking longer over splitting show into sections.

Cheers,
    Rowan

Post Thanks / Like

Be up around 8K to 9K of raw channels this year, nearly all pixels. Preview was critical to me and it playing well, just isn't the same for me not being able to see that this effect exactly hits on that note.

Export that takes a while is fine, especially if it can be batched and SHOWS a progress, or if it pukes gives enough data to be useful to tell where a problem might lie. Perhaps have the export be able to split up a file could be useful in itself. eg. I have a problem at 3 minutes, but I can output chunk1 to 2:58 and then go back and work on 3 minutes and after to figure out the issue.

There are a number of folks who have built conversion routines that are very fast, I would be surprised if they are not open source and the authors not willing to assist you in some manner.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Regular channels - ~450
    Pixel channels - At last count it was 5000, but we are really excited about this and new things are thought of each day. Scope creep isn't something I normally embrace, but for some reason I'm enjoying it on this project. I'm betting on 6500 before it is all said and done. (6500(pixels) x 3(RGB) = 19,500 pixel channels or 38.5 universes).

I actually don't mind the time. We tried to use the capture method, which took the amount of time it takes to run the show, but kept running into a few burps. Things you may or may not notice during the run through, but definitely would have driven me up a tree every time I saw it.

I'm up for new things. Sequencing in parts isn't something I know, but am willing to learn.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with this, if it does take a long time, please give us a progress indicator. I remember waiting overnight for my channel patching before you revamped the whole thing last year and I never knew if the program was crashed or stuck or what.

- Matt

Quote Originally Posted by arw01 View Post
    Be up around 8K to 9K of raw channels this year, nearly all pixels. Preview was critical to me and it playing well, just isn't the same for me not being able to see that this effect exactly hits on that note.

Export that takes a while is fine, especially if it can be batched and SHOWS a progress, or if it pukes gives enough data to be useful to tell where a problem might lie. Perhaps have the export be able to split up a file could be useful in itself. eg. I have a problem at 3 minutes, but I can output chunk1 to 2:58 and then go back and work on 3 minutes and after to figure out the issue.

There are a number of folks who have built conversion routines that are very fast, I would be surprised if they are not open source and the authors not willing to assist you in some manner.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry but I would hate to have to create sub sequencers.

A long to to export would be ok as previous posts have said, please provide a status bar.

On saying that I would much prefer Vixens Core engine to be fixed so it can output and preview without stuttering. I think this needs to be done before exporting unless it can be done at the same time and not sacrifice man power on the performance improvements. I thin Vixen needs to be a working software for large channels before working on external features.

Just my thoughts.

Great work by the way guys I do love Vixen apart from the stuttering.

Post Thanks / Like

Good feedback! I think this all contributes to a compromise that will likely be accomplished in the short term while still keeping on track with the core improvements.

Post Thanks / Like

Really great to hear!
    House [17k channels]: [URL="https://vimeo.com/album/4110945"]https://vimeo.com/album/4110945[/URL]
    Town [24k channels]: [URL="https://www.facebook.com/allthingssabine/videos/1816339391975617/"]Drone footage[/URL]
    Like: [URL="http://facebook.com/logansportlights"]http://facebook.com/logansportlights[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for listening.

One more reason this "hobby" is as good as it is.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast