Thread: Ability to decide what PP effect to include in preview

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ability to decide what PP effect to include in preview

Hi Joe,

After long break from my x-mas lights I am about to slowly start to bug you again.
    Once again thank you very much for your help and support with HLS last year. Thanks to you I was able realize my vision. In case you have not seen my display ... here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWfcfL6KUXo

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU .....

Here is my new enhancement request which I have on my mind since I finished sequencing my first song last year.

During sequencing we do a lot of previews to see our result. As I was adding more and more effects to my show the preview compiling took longer every time. I found out it became worse after adding more pixel-plane effects (HLS native/none native) to my sequence. My remedy for that was not to keep them in the sequence when I worked on it. I had to have a separate XLS spreadsheet with all the effect details (length, intensity, position, effect type, all it's settings, etc...) After I was done with other sequencing I had to put them back (over 20 minutes work). Then do the whole compile. If I needed to make any change in my sequence I had a dilemma: to remove them and apply them again later on or go through the painful slow compiling during previews when trying to implement the change/fix. (FYI: finished song preview compile took over 5 minutes). Honestly I wasted bunch of hours just because of these effects and their impact on the HLS.

My enhancement proposal to avoid this issue in future: Make HLS smarter to exclude these PP effects during preview. Lets say to have a check box on the effect by itself and let the user decide what PP effect should be compiled during preview. Like this:
    Include PP effect.jpg

This would be a huge help for us working with 10K+ pixels or people using more PP effects.

What do yo think?
    Last edited by Petulka77; 06-05-2014 at 10:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ability to decide what PP effect to include in preview

A good friend, Al, sent me a wish several months ago --- I have not implemented it.

Al's request would cover yours.

Al requested to have an option to only compile and Preview only those channels that are on the sequence grid --- since those are most likely the ones you want to look at.

You have worded your request in a way that makes sense to me. I've been delaying in implementing my Al's request because I could no fully see/understand the benefit.

I'll do that as life gives me time.

I'm in AL for the summer. I have had a mill/lathe combo in my garage for 6 years now and don't know how to use them --- So I'm taking a 10 week Machinist class at the Community College to learn how to operat both a mill and a lathe. My end goal is to make some custom 3D print heads for a high precision 3D printer I'm designing.

Ran my first mill tonight - made chips!!!.

So as time comes free --- I'll get it implemented.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. .. you are a busy man.

Thank you Joe for the future implementation.
    Good luck with your 3D printer heads project.

Post Thanks / Like

Check Version 19T.

I think it will do what you are looking for.

Only Previews what is in the active sequence editor's grid space.

Also -- no master or sub lighting channels.

Let me know --- I quick tested and all looked ok.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Joe.

I'll give it a whirl over the weekend.