Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Assembling SSR's (with daisey chain option)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Assembling SSR's (with daisey chain option)

Stupid question from the newbe.

I like this concept, run a power line from house to box1, then another from box1 to box 2, etc... Keeps you from having 16 extension cords running out the house (grinch with 64 channels).

on average, how many can you safely run in one chain before you have to start a new chain from the house again?

Post Thanks / Like

The answer depends on the current draw of each channel. If you have a single channel that draws 12 amps you should only put that single 15 amp extension cord. If you have only 1 amp per channel then you could put 12 ssrs on a single 15 amp supply cord.
    Thanks,
    Brian, your friendly site Admin.

Post Thanks / Like

So the limit on each cord is 15 amps. Then each cord must plug into a different circuit in the house, right? If I have two cords pulling 15 amps both plugged into the same outlet, that would be a bad thing.

I'm aiming for under 1 amp per channel so lets just use 1 for an example. If I never go beyond 12 chanels on at the same time, they could all be on the same line. Correct? Or if I divided the display into two areas, one cord to each and plugged into different breakers on the house, I could run up to 12 channels each area, the rest would have to be off.

Post Thanks / Like

Just remember better to be safe then sorry, working on a theory of never turning on everything is not the best way to run things, work on the fact that everything will be on, leaving plenty of overhead means alot more piece of mind.

Also check what else is on the circuit you plan to use or could be on the circuit, thinking its all good only to have someone plug in a heater and turn it on will kill your circuit very quickly.
    2008: Grinch running 48 channels this year, 6000+ lights, at least 3 songs.
    [url]http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~jason.dellit/Xmas2008/index.html[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by draksig View Post
    So the limit on each cord is 15 amps.
    That depends on the cord and supply circuit.
    Quote Originally Posted by draksig
    Then each cord must plug into a different circuit in the house, right?
    Possibly but not necessarily.
    If I have two cords pulling 15 amps both plugged into the same outlet, that would be a bad thing.
    If they were drawing more than 15 amps cumulatively then the breaker would trip, if the circuit is supplied with a 15 amp feed.

I'm aiming for under 1 amp per channel so lets just use 1 for an example. If I never go beyond 12 chanels on at the same time, they could all be on the same line. Correct? Or if I divided the display into two areas, one cord to each and plugged into different breakers on the house, I could run up to 12 channels each area, the rest would have to be off.
    Correct, provided they are dedicated circuits.

This is where the Watt Meter addin in Vixen comes in very handy.

I am going to disagree with Dellboy999 about sizing your electrical supply based on the theory of everything being on. This is not an efficient way to size electrical supplies. Simply take a look at the main breaker in your house. It is either 100, 150 or 200 amps in most houses. Now if you turned on everything in your house at the same time, 50 amp electric range, 30 amp electric dryer, 20 amp electric washer, vacuum cleaners, toasters, microwaves, dishwashers, blow dryers, all the lights, electric heaters and so on you would be drawing more than any typical supply. Why are things figured this way? Well there is a very very slim chance "everything" would be on at any single moment. It would also be very, very expensive to size an electrical service to withstand that kind of draw. Also, lets take it one step further. Does your electric utility company have the capacity to supply enough current to every house at the same time if they turned every thing on at the same time? The answer is no. They can not even keep up with all the air conditioners during the hottest summer days, think brown outs and blackouts. You need to size your electrical feed based on current draw, not on bulb count.
    Thanks,
    Brian, your friendly site Admin.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback.

I believe that I can do quite a lot with the proper choreographing and timing. Rarely do I see a video of a display where everything is on at one time (except for some who turn everything on at one time for a finale). You get a couple of minutes into the sequence and a new feature comes on and you say, "Where did that come from". I think that is better than revealing all features in the first dozen seconds or so.

Post Thanks / Like

So the limit on each cord is 15 amps. Then each cord must plug into a different circuit in the house, right? If I have two cords pulling 15 amps both plugged into the same outlet, that would be a bad thing.
    It would be a very bad thing. You owuld be pulling 30 amps on a 15 amp circuit. And pulling 15 amps on SPT cord is also a bad idea. I would neot ever pull more that 7 amps on SPT cord. It's just not worth the chance of something going wrong.
    I'm Gary Funk and I approved this message.
    Professional web developer; ColdFusion 8 - AIR/Flex

Post Thanks / Like

that's why I am asking all these quesitons. I'm very cautious about things like this.

I also suffer from Overanalysis paralysis. I researched digital cameras for over a year before I bought an expensive camera, then I did the same thing a year later.

I am reading through these forums (as well as other sites) studing the system and wanting to understand exactly what it can do, what its limitations are and safety.

I almost chocked when I saw the prices on Lights-O-Rama.

I am really tempted to duplicate what someone in another thread did and build a "mini grinch" so I can do something this year. Has anyone built a controller or SSR with perfboad and wire? I know doing a full system would be tedious that way but building a single controller, 16 channel Grinch (+4 SSRs) wouldn't be that bad.

As you can see, I'm really wanting to do something this year insted of waiting.

Post Thanks / Like

I am really tempted to duplicate what someone in another thread did and build a "mini grinch" so I can do something this year. Has anyone built a controller or SSR with perfboad and wire? I know doing a full system would be tedious that way but building a single controller, 16 channel Grinch (+4 SSRs) wouldn't be that bad.

As you can see, I'm really wanting to do something this year insted of waiting.
    People have done that, and I don't think that it is too hard to do. The PCBs are easy and fairly inexpensive to purchase, though, and wjohn usually has them in stock.

You do have to be careful with the 110VAC on that board, though.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by P. Short View Post
    People have done that, and I don't think that it is too hard to do. The PCBs are easy and fairly inexpensive to purchase, though, and wjohn usually has them in stock.

You do have to be careful with the 110VAC on that board, though.
    Which board, wjohn's?

I've already been in touch with him and plan on buying some after the new year.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast