Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DMX code for renard???

Post Thanks / Like

Default DMX code for renard???

I was reading a while ago, and remember seeing something about a version of DMX for the renards. Is anyone still working on this?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: DMX code for renard???

Phil has the Renard-DMX code done (more or less). I know he is hoping for more testing to be done to make sure that there aren't any bugs.

I stopped testing when I lost faith in my Enttec Pro Dongle at short event intervals. I need to put together one of RJ's dongles and try the code with that dongle.
    RavingLunatic
    Not just a username but a state of mind

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!!

I'll have to pm Phil... or he can get a hold of me first.

Post Thanks / Like

so Phil, can you post the firmware for DM to renard so I can do some testing with it? I am interested in going Renard-> DMX

Ben
    128 lynx Freestyle DMX channels(not all used), 4 SSR4 DMX channels, 120 Ren24 channels, and 48 Ren16 channels!!

Post Thanks / Like

I am planning on going DMX this year as well. I have 3 Renard64s that I am going to convert over. I haven't selected a DMX dongle yet. Still catching up on what I have missed since not being active on this since Feb '08.

THANKS!
    ms
    Matt Stemple

Post Thanks / Like

I am interested in this as well
    Truth is a three edged sword....
    Embassador Kash Vorlon Empire

http://www.tgconley.com

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone got the update firmware for DMX yet?
    Truth is a three edged sword....
    Embassador Kash Vorlon Empire

http://www.tgconley.com

Post Thanks / Like

*bump*

Argh. First timer here, ready to take the plunge, but making the hardware choices is difficult not knowing which will be DMX compatible in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, here is a version for more testing. It should be taken as Beta code.

A few comments, which I'm sure partially duplicate the other thread on this topic.

1) Connector Pinout

The Renard PCB RJ45 pinout is different from the standard DMX512 RJ45 pinout. You will need an adaptor cable or adaptor board to connect a Renard board to a DMX512 cable.

2) Multiple boards

There are two different ways for you to connect multiple Renard boards to a DMX controller.

The preferred method is to connect all boards in parallel to the DMX512 cable. The first PIC on each board will be programmed with the desired DMX address for that board, and all other PICs on the board will be programmed for address '1'. In this situation you will only use the input connector on each Renard board, and the output connector will be left open.

The alternate (non-preferred) method is to daisy chain the Renard boards in the same way that you would with Renard non-DMX firmware. The first PIC on the first Renard board will be programmed with the desired DMX address (1-512), and all of the rest of the PICs (the remaining PICs on the first board, and all of the PICs on the remaining boards) will be programmed with address '1'. The advantage of this scheme is that it is easier to set up (fewer PICs with non-default addresses, fewer adaptor cables/boards required). The disadvantage is that it is much more difficult to intermix Renard-dmx boards with other types of DMX devices, and there is less flexibility in assigning DMX addresses.

3) Terminator Resistors

The default BOM for all of the Renard boards has a 120 Ohm terminator resistor across the RS485 lines. This doesn't work well with DMX512 in most situations, so you should remove these resistors from the Renard-DMX boards, and use the prescribed DMX termination methods.

4) Configuring the PIC firmware

With this firmware you will be able to configure each channel individually for PWM or non-PWM operation, as well as for current-sink vs current-source outputs. This is a little bit different from the previous Renard firmware, and is described in the .asm file.

The usual disclaimers apply...this is beta firmware, and use it at your own risk.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

I had completely missed the other thread ;)

Thank you very much!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast