Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GFCI's

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: GFCI's

Quote Originally Posted by scootchu View Post
    It's like a mini audit controller in a box!!!!!!
    Ok... I'll bite.. what is a mini audit controller?

Post Thanks / Like

It's that accountant in your company that watches EVERYTHING that goes out and comes in. The needle in the haystack guy that finds the needle. Also known as a controller, auditor auditor-controller. Accounts for every Milliamp, that was my analogy. Much funnier with a accompanying rimshot and live audience.

3. Likes plasmadrive, DrNeutron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne J View Post
    LOOK! Pretty Christmas lights. Let's stop and admire them for a bit.
    You must be able to see my lights from your house!
    DIYC Links:
    [URL="http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php"]Christmas Wiki[/URL] | [URL="http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/addonchat.php"]Chat[/URL]

Ricky, Jrd

"With great power comes great electricity bill." - Unknown Electricity Consumer
    "Your significance in life is not what you do, but how and why you do something." - Unknown Minister
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"]2012
    City float for Parade of Lights with:
    Fm-02 + Wall Wart Tamer
    2 Ren4Flood + DIYCFlood + Ren-W in 500 Watt enclosure
    2 Simple Renard 32
    15 SSROZ
    2 24 Channel RBW LED Ropelight Midi Trees out of artificial Christmas trees.

<a href="#" onclick="return(showhide(this));">Click here to show/hide my past display details ...</a>
    <script language="javascript">function showhide(anc){ //
    // traverse forward from anchor to find hidable div:
    for(; ; ){ if(!anc.nextSibling) break; if(anc.nextSibling.nodeName == "DIV") break; anc = anc.nextSibling; }//
    var Y='block', N='none', det=anc.nextSibling; //
    //fall-back plan: use named div:
    if (!det) det=document.getElementById('details'); //
    //toggle visibility:
    det.style.display=(det.style.display!=N)?N:Y; //
    //prevent page refresh:
    return false;}</script><div id="details" style="display:none;">2011
    Renard 24 v3.3 100%
    FM-02 with antenna 100%
    16' 8 channel Multi-color + Clear Megatree 100%</div>[/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: GFCI's

Legitimate question... The lights that I have on a GFCI outlet just went out. I'm in San Diego and it's raining (it never rains in San Diego so I've never had this problem). I assume it has something to do with the rain based upon another posters comment. How do I identify where the problem exists so I can fix it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by savageelf View Post
    Legitimate question... The lights that I have on a GFCI outlet just went out. I'm in San Diego and it's raining (it never rains in San Diego so I've never had this problem). I assume it has something to do with the rain based upon another posters comment. How do I identify where the problem exists so I can fix it?
    Some more information about your display would help.

Usually connections in puddles of water or more likely, metal minitrees or 3D wireframes like deer touching the ground tend to cause GFCIs to trip.

You can identify where the problem is by turning on one element at a time. You may find that you can turn on all of your show one piece at a time but all together it goes out. This means it is a cumulative effect and if you have more than one minitree or wireframe, try lighting multiple items until it pops, you should then be able to tell which items need isolation.
    DIYC Links:
    [URL="http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php"]Christmas Wiki[/URL] | [URL="http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/addonchat.php"]Chat[/URL]

Ricky, Jrd

"Your significance in life is not what you do, but how and why you do something." - Unknown Minister
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"]2012
    Fm-02 + Wall Wart Tamer
    2 Simple Renard 32
    15 SSROZ

<a href="#" onclick="return(showhide(this));">Click here to show/hide my past display details ...</a>
    for(; ; ){ if(!anc.nextSibling) break; if(anc.nextSibling.nodeName == "DIV") break; anc = anc.nextSibling; }//
    //toggle visibility:
    //prevent page refresh:
    Renard 24 v3.3 100%
    FM-02 with antenna 100%

7. Thanks savageelf thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jrd View Post
    Some more information about your display would help.

Usually connections in puddles of water or more likely, metal minitrees or 3D wireframes like deer touching the ground tend to cause GFCIs to trip.

You can identify where the problem is by turning on one element at a time. You may find that you can turn on all of your show one piece at a time but all together it goes out. This means it is a cumulative effect and if you have more than one minitree or wireframe, try lighting multiple items until it pops, you should then be able to tell which items need isolation.
    Thanks JRD. My display is all static LED (minis and C9's) this point. I'm building towards bigger and better! I will try to isolate it by what you describe. Is it possible that water has gotten into the female plugs in my extension cord that aren't being used? Do you typically put tape over those areas so water doesn't get in?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think tape is a good idea, it may trap water in. I just place a brick where the connection is so it's not in a puddle. I've also gotten good at putting twist into the wire making a loop with the connection on the top. I've only had problems with puddles, my deer have always been fine.
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

10. Thanks savageelf thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks JRD. My display is all static LED (minis and C9's) this point. I'm building towards bigger and better! I will try to isolate it by what you describe. Is it possible that water has gotten into the female plugs in my extension cord that aren't being used? Do you typically put tape over those areas so water doesn't get in?
    Static you can still do piecemeal checks, you just have to unplug everything and then go around plugging them in again.

Water can and probably will get into unused female outlets. When I have open females they are usually on triple tap indoor type extension cords and have a plastic cover flap which I use to cover the unused outlets.(these are usually on the 2 outlet side as I generally only have one thing plugged in to each channel.) I would not advise tape either, like skunberg said, it can trap water inside and also, it makes a mess.

The biggest thing is really keeping connections out of bodies of water.

Where do you live? I imagine places with more acidic rain would have more trouble with GFCIs popping.
    DIYC Links:

Ricky, Jrd

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]2012
    Fm-02 + Wall Wart Tamer
    2 Simple Renard 32
    15 SSROZ

//toggle visibility:
    //prevent page refresh:
    Renard 24 v3.3 100%
    FM-02 with antenna 100%

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jrd View Post
    Static you can still do piecemeal checks, you just have to unplug everything and then go around plugging them in again.

Water can and probably will get into unused female outlets. When I have open females they are usually on triple tap indoor type extension cords and have a plastic cover flap which I use to cover the unused outlets.(these are usually on the 2 outlet side as I generally only have one thing plugged in to each channel.) I would not advise tape either, like skunberg said, it can trap water inside and also, it makes a mess.

The biggest thing is really keeping connections out of bodies of water.

Where do you live? I imagine places with more acidic rain would have more trouble with GFCIs popping.
    Yep, I'm in San Diego. I have the same problem with my outdoor landscape lighting when it rains. Thanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I'm in San Diego. I have the same problem with my outdoor landscape lighting when it rains. Thanks for the help!
    You're welcome, hope you are able to get it.
    DIYC Links:

Ricky, Jrd

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]2012
    Fm-02 + Wall Wart Tamer
    2 Simple Renard 32
    15 SSROZ

//toggle visibility:
    //prevent page refresh:
    Renard 24 v3.3 100%
    FM-02 with antenna 100%

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast