Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Support for D-light

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Support for D-light

There are a few of options available if folks are interested using our existing hardware...

Some are:
    use our standard protocol
    use DMX protocol (plugin already available)
    use a new protocol
    Last edited by dman776; 06-04-2008 at 12:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I would be very interested in using the DMX protocol with my D-Light boards!

Scot

Post Thanks / Like

Darryl, I would be interested. Even if it is a chip swap.
    "Think you might be over doing it dad?" "When was the last time I over did anything?"
    [url]http://www.joneslights.com/[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dman776 View Post
    There are a few of options available if folks are interested using our existing hardware...

Some are:
    use DMX protocol (plugin already available)
    Excellent! I'm in the process of testing Lynx boards along with RJ's dmx dongle and I would be great if I can use both with Vixen.

Instructions?

Post Thanks / Like

btw, the D-Light USB485 V2 Adapter works great as a DMX dongle. It is the same as the Enntec Open DMX (driver-wise).

Central (like the actual center) PA , USA
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dman776 View Post
    btw, the D-Light USB485 V2 Adapter works great as a DMX dongle. It is the same as the Enntec Open DMX (driver-wise).
    In the case of Vixen, I can see a lot of people using it from a "ready to use" standpoint. If the group is in between co-op buys and such, then using "off the shelf" kits could be a good standby and perhaps a few more dollars for the d-light offering.

Hybrid do it yourself is certainly needed sometimes.

Tony
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary, those that don't and some who know Gray encoding.

Post Thanks / Like

I know I would like to see it. While buying ready made boards is not for me, it would be nice for some. I could put it to use, while I do not use ready made controllers, my Father in law could benifit from this. Last year I some how pulled off 2 displays at 2 houses in 2 different citys. I had my 104 channels of Renard with a 25 minute show at my house, and I did a 15 minute show at my in laws with my old 595 and 40 channels. He wants to expand this year with dimming, and this means alot more work for me as I am expanding to 240 channels at my house. Money is not as much of a problem for him, and he does not get any of the good feeling from DIY as he is not the one building the boards. So a ready made commercial grade controller would suit him fine, but LOR is out of the question, esspecially since I can not use the one and only Vixen with it.

So to answer your question, yes i would like to see a D-light plugin for Vixen. And look at this way, it would only open up one more door for your customers and probably increase profits. I don't see any reason why creating a plugin for Vixen that supports D-light could be bad for business.
    David Scott

If it aint broke, I got a bigger hammer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mrplow123 View Post

So to answer your question, yes i would like to see a D-light plugin for Vixen. And look at this way, it would only open up one more door for your customers and probably increase profits. I don't see any reason why creating a plugin for Vixen that supports D-light could be bad for business.
    I would have to agree with most of that statement. The only issue is see arising is if Vixen can control D-Light hardware then why would someone buy Spectrum? Just thinking out loud here. Even though Vixen controlling D-Light would be great for some I am still concerned for Darryl as I would not want him to lose out on anything he deserves.
    Thanks,
    Brian, your friendly site Admin.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats what I was thinking too Brian thats why I thought a vixen D-light controller designed for the use with vixen.
    The other D-lights would only work with lor and spectrum/or for a small fee do a pic swap or filmware update.But who knows???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Macrosill View Post
    I would have to agree with most of that statement. The only issue is see arising is if Vixen can control D-Light hardware then why would someone buy Spectrum? Just thinking out loud here. Even though Vixen controlling D-Light would be great for some I am still concerned for Darryl as I would not want him to lose out on anything he deserves.
    I'm sorry, I did not know Darryl had stake in any of the software that currently works with D-light boards. I thought his boards were made to work with what was available.

So on that note. i am feeling pretty confident that I would gladly pay for the plugin to make his boards work with Vixen. The only reason I do not use any of his boards now, I can not stand LOR software. Vixen owns over LOR in my oppinion, yes I have used both. So if I had to buy a peice of software to control the D-light boards, i would rather spend the money to make Vixen work with them. I'm sure someone, maybe KC, could come up with a way to license the D-light plugin to keep people from sharing it.

Like I said. For my personal setup, I am 100% DIY, because of money and I like doing building boards. But for people like my father in law, if I could buy some D-light boards and a plugin for Vixen this year, I would convince him to go that route this year.
    David Scott

If it aint broke, I got a bigger hammer.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast