Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a little PCB design help.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for a little PCB design help.

My show runs all 5v so Ive always had a ton of power injection. This year I want to add a power distribution board in each of my PSU enclosures. I know nothing about PCB design but have always wanted to learn. I grabbed eagle and created this........

5vpowerspades3d_zps944dc260.jpg

I really want to add mini blade style fuse holders to each output but reality is if its not in the eagle library I have no idea how to create it.
    Like this...
    http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...FWxp7AodxwwAbQ

Would anyone be willing to help me get the fuses in the eagle file and look to see if I'm doing things right?

Attached is the SCH file and BRD file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking for a little PCB design help.

First things first.
    I think you have signal traces on that board, not power sized traces.
    That part is somewhere because some of the newer pixel controllers are using those fuses.
    I think the PX1 may use it, so PM Dlovely to get the library part.
    Quote Originally Posted by harrison0550 View Post
    My show runs all 5v so Ive always had a ton of power injection. This year I want to add a power distribution board in each of my PSU enclosures. I know nothing about PCB design but have always wanted to learn. I grabbed eagle and created this........

5vpowerspades3d_zps944dc260.jpg

I really want to add mini blade style fuse holders to each output but reality is if its not in the eagle library I have no idea how to create it.
    Like this...
    http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...FWxp7AodxwwAbQ

Would anyone be willing to help me get the fuses in the eagle file and look to see if I'm doing things right?

Attached is the SCH file and BRD file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3. Thanks harrison0550 thanked for this post
    Likes harrison0550 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless dlovely has re-done the PCB design, he doesn't have that pcb part. The board was created using the geda pcb package under FreeBSD. Parts designed for that software package are not going to work for eagle.

Edit - also, the PX1 uses a different fuse holder (534-3544-2).
    Last edited by P. Short; 02-03-2014 at 08:56 PM.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the reply ukewarrior and P. Short. I think I'm making progress, well maybe.

I made the traces as large as I could for the space and created a top layer and bottom layer ground plane. Do I need to create a trace for the grounds or does marking them as ground in the schematic and creating the ground planes link them together?

I also cleaned up the text and added some screw holes and +/- text.

Am I on the right track now? Thank you again for the help.

5vpowerspades2nd_zpsa4b24c16.jpg
    5vpowerspades2ndtry_zps28c69468.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I would use a pour on the top side for +5 and a pour on the bottom side for ground. That would maximize the current-handling capacity. Or, if you want a single-sided board for home etch, just split it down the middle with a pour on each half.

You may want to add an LED and resistor to make a power-on indicator.
    /mike

7. Thanks harrison0550 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sparkfun has (or used to have) a tutorial on creating a part within Eagle. Grab the specs for the fuse holder you want to use, go through the tutorial step by step, but using the measurements from the spec. I know I'm making this sound easy.. but well.. it actually is pretty easy.

Oh.. and when complete.. can you share the library?
    Standard Disclaimers apply:
    "Product may not appear as shown, your mileage may vary, I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on television, these are not the droids you seek"

9. Likes harrison0550 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I will try and attempt to create the fuse part in eagle tonight from the spec sheet and see how it goes. I like the idea of the power led as well. I was actually reading a thread last night on adding leds that light up when the fuse is blown. Hmmmm both may be simple cheap additions that would be nice to have.

On the pours, I made the bottom layer a solid ground plane but not 100% sure how I could make the top layer for +5. Don't laugh, well maybe laugh a little but I was actually trying to do it this way originally but ended up with what you see in post #4.

Post Thanks / Like

"NAME" the plane the same as the NET you used for your VCC. Then when you do the pour (POLYGON (select layer) followed by RATSNEST), it should connect to the pads.

(At least.. in my head that was the steps.. might have to try it again to make sure)
    Standard Disclaimers apply:
    "Product may not appear as shown, your mileage may vary, I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on television, these are not the droids you seek"

12. Thanks harrison0550 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A little more progress was made last night. I created my first ever part in eagle, (not 100% sure its right though). Added the fuses to the schematic and board layout and but ground on the bottom layer and VCC on the top layer. Here is where I am at so far........
    3rdtryeagle_zps63c446c2.jpg

3rdtrysketchup_zps69da7291.jpg

Attached are the updated files. Im still trying to sort out if I have done the fuse connection traces correctly. If anyone can look at those and point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again for all the help guys!

Post Thanks / Like

PM me your email address, I have several fuse parts that I have created for fuse holders sold on eBay and Tayda.

15. Thanks harrison0550 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast