Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Software preference

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Software preference

Anyone try FREECAD? It's a parametric type CAD.
    http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/?title=About_FreeCAD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sporadic View Post
    Nothing like bringing up a two year old thread, but figured there wasn't a need for a new one! I've used SketchUp for years and love it for laying out my woodworking projects or modeling architectural stuff. I found myself wanting something a little different however for designing stuff to be 3D printed. Took Autodesk 123D Design for a spin, but quickly became annoyed with having to design anything that required precise technical tweaks since it's not parametric. I stayed away from Fusion 360 due to the cloud nature of it, but finally forced myself to become oriented with it last night. Very impressed. Very powerful tool that's free for the maker / hobbyist community.

Small example, a battery tray for a RC car that had some very precise holes that needed to be tweaked. The simplistic edit of moving a hole to a precise location is a nightmare in 123D. Fusion 360 makes it easy. Just go back, edit your sketch, and everything else will update.

Attachment 31542

Attachment 31543

123D Make is a pretty cool tool as well. I've been using it to print slices of a STL on a regular printer to check dimensions on a paper part first before committing to a 3D print.
    I hadnt heard of fusion 360 and just watched a youtube (https://youtu.be/E0bhdr84FNU) on it and wow thats amazing! I think I will keep watching more and download it and see how I pick it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I do have and use a lot of tools. AutoCad 123. Hated it. There is MathCad. Meh, not so much love there.

I have done quite a bit of 3D graphics for decades (yes, plural). So I resort to using what I am familiar with. That being:

Modo
    Hexagon
    Blender

They are in order of my personal preference (and also ironically in order of price). Modo runs about $1,800. Hexagon is about $20. Blender is free. I probably do +95% of my modeling in Modo. Some in Hex and very little but some in Blender.

I like the ability to model and then render directly in Modo. For example, here is a render of a duct design:

And the printed and assembled unit:

And another example render out of Modo:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123