Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mega tree during the day

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mega tree during the day

I don't have a how to but I will post some pics. I got the idea from Tony Palombo's Wreath and Materdaddy's Wreath from 2012 Christmas.

The basic design is a PVC frame, 1" grey PVC to make the circular shape and have something to attach the sections on. I supported it from the eave with some paracord.

I used 1/2" grey PVC, 90° elbows, snap-Ts, and black plastic wire mesh to make the sections. The sections of PVC were heated and pre-bent to make the curved shaped. I covered them in cheap garland that I bought after Christmas 2012. I built it in 6 sections so that it would not take up whole lot of space in storage. I covered it in RGB lights. Videos below in my signature.

Attachment 22616 photo 7.jpg photo 8.jpg photo 5.jpg photo 2.jpg photo 4.jpg
    Last edited by bcstuff; 01-11-2017 at 01:25 PM.
    Brian

Help Support Do It Yourself Christmas.com
    For just 6 cents a day you can help someone with their Christmas Light Addiction Problem.
    Click here to Become a Supporting Member and help spread the CLAP!

Click here to show/hide my display details...

My Light Show Videos: http://vimeo.com/brianandheather

Post Thanks / Like

That's nice!

Post Thanks / Like

wow. that is an awesome tree.

I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of 18' for mine. I bet if I went with a design like this it would be a real PITA to store.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcstuff View Post
    I don't have a how to but I will post some pics. I got the idea from Tony Palombo's Wreath and Materdaddy's Wreath from 2012 Christmas.

The basic design is a PVC frame, 1" grey PVC to make the circular shape and have something to attach the sections on. I supported it from the eave with some paracord.

I used 1/2" grey PVC, 90° elbows, snap-Ts, and black plastic wire mesh to make the sections. The sections of PVC were heated and pre-bent to make the curved shaped. I covered them in cheap garland that I bought after Christmas 2012. I built it in 6 sections so that it would not take up whole lot of space in storage. I covered it in RGB lights. Videos below in my signature.
    Very nice wreath. I may have to replicate that some day. It's not nearly as bad as I thought it might be. Your first pic made it look like it went all the way around. Seeing that it's only the curved front part, that's not so bad.

Fountain Valley, CA (Orange County, So. Cal)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    I've thought the same thing about the pixel density being too great near the top. I was wondering if it's possible to stagger the lengths of the ends so that maybe every other string goes all the way to the top and the rest stop somewhat short of the top. I'm not sure current software would support that directly. But I suppose I could configure it as if those pixels were there? But in reality there'd be nothing actually there to receive and display the data.
    I've used staggered top ends and it looks okay because the pixels are so close and you can't tell if every other pixel is missing. If you set up the tree as a grid and your sequencing software supports custom models, you can map the missing pixel at the top of a tree branch to the real pixel at the top of the next branch, so that if you run sparse graphics on the upper portion of the tree then you'll get a pixel to light up there regardless of whether it is in an even or odd branch.

To combat the "bunched up" look, I've also used closer ring spacing at the top of the tree than the bottom, and this also helped to made it look more evenly spaced. For example, horizontal rings with 5" vertical spacing at the bottom of the tree tapering down to 2.5" vertical spacing at the top.

don
    Click for display details >>
    web site: http://www.eShepherdsOfLight.com or http://www.facebook.com/eShepherdsOfLight
    technical articles: http://downloads.eshepherdsoflight.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123