Thread: Adding to preview

Post Thanks / Like

Default Adding to preview

Hi all....New year...new project......new questions....

Last year I used pixels on the house only as a learning experience. All my sequences are built to that layout.

Looking at taking a giant step and adding a pixel MT this year. I would like to use my existing sequences and add the MT.

My initial question (more sure to follow) is about the preview. I would like to preserve my current preview set up so that in case there are issues I can just revert to what I did in 2013.

If I add the MT channels to a current sequence......can I use an existing saved preview, add the new channels (pixel plane) for the MT and save it under a different preview name or must I just use the existing preview and keep adding on (keeping the idea in mind I would like to retain the ability to revert to last year's show)?

Or do I need to just create an entirely new preview with the MT alone?

Just trying to get my head around the correct approach to try and implement......before wasting time trying to do something that is not possible/practical....

thanks....SC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Adding to preview

Save As may be useful here. Similar to the "Save As a NEW Group" when selecting channels to add to a display group? I believe it would be useful for this very purpose. I too am thinking of adding more elements but am unsure of a number of things. If we ask Joe nicely enough, maybe he can implement this if it's easy enough to do and when he has the time? Joe, would this be possible? If so, could you possibly add it to your "to do" list please?

Post Thanks / Like

It would be nice to have a "save as" feature added when Joe has time, but there is an alternative.
    Create a new preview and then save it and close HLS.
    There are 2 files you need to copy to a new location and rename to the new preview you just created.
    The 1st is the .HlsPreviewCompiled file (located in root of HLS) and the .hlspreview file (located in the library folder). Both of these files will have your current preview name as the file name. All you do is rename them and copy them back to their respective locations.
    Start HLS and open a sequence that used your old preview and click Preview-Identify Control File and select the new preview (you may have to tell it where you stored the background image).
    You now have a copy of your preview named something else.....
    Those 2 files are all you need to make as many copies of the preview as you need.
    Last edited by DrNeutron; 01-08-2014 at 08:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the response....if I follow..... if I copy those 2 files and keep them in case I want to go back....I would just need to put them back into their respective folders and I would have my old preview....?

Also......I think I hear you saying that in order to add my MT and get it to show up in a preview I have to create an entirely new preview? Or can I add the MT to the existing preview that I changed the name on?

Thanks.....

Post Thanks / Like

HLS allows you to play as much as you like without risk!

Copy your existing Preview as stated by DrN... and change the name of the newly created one.

I would leave BOTH the old tree and the new tree on the preview --- then you can compare them.

Leave all of your channels that are associated with the old tree in the sequence --- just uncheck the OUTPUT Active button and channels will not be transmitted.

That way if a big black cloud descends and bites you --- you can revert back in less than 1 minute.

Have fun.

Joe
    Link to my DownLoad Site: [B][COLOR=#ff0000][URL]http://www.joehinkle.com/HLS[/URL]

[/COLOR][/B][IMG]http://joehinkle.com/HLS/HLS%20Logo%20Small.jpg[/IMG]