Thread: Different motors / controllers for inflatables?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Different motors / controllers for inflatables?

Has anyone replaced the motor in their inflatable with one that is more efficient, or added some intelligent control to theirs? I was looking at my wive's inflatables and wondering why they have to have their motor running full bore all the time. Once inflated it should be possible for them to slow down to a "maintaining" speed I would think. Anyone try doing anything like that?

On a similar note... she was given a new inflatable for Christmas. It is supposedly for outdoor use but has a DC motor with a wall wart to power that specifically states "dry location only" and is CLEARLY not meant for an outdoor outlet. Plus the cord from the wall wart to the motor is a whopping 2 feet long. I am definitely looking to replace this motor with a comparable AC version. I would rather use it as a trial for a more controlled inflatable but i do not want to "risk" her newest one to my tinkering.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Different motors / controllers for inflatables?

Actually I'd stay with DC blowers and drive them from a DC controller.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had to throw out inflatables in years past as I was never able to find a replacement motor for them that would actually fit. Things may have changed now. If you are really determined to change the motor I am sure you can do it. Keep us posted on your progress. Anyone who figures out how to save inflatables will surely be appreciated by the masses, I am sure of that.
    Thanks,
    Brian, your friendly site Admin.

Post Thanks / Like

I have switched out the DC motors for AC, mostly as I have had issues with the DC motors not having enough power to deal with the snow and cold temps. I usually can MacGyver a way to get the AC motor to fit, sometime using PVC pipe to run from the AC motor to the inflatable. So I am sure you can do it also!

As far as a "maintenance" speed I would be careful with that, I think you will find as the inflatables get older they tend to need more air to stay inflated, and after a time not stay fully inflated. You can find many threads on this issue. I have also noticed that on the cold nights (under 20 degrees) my inflatables have a harder time staying inflated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timpwk View Post
    I have switched out the DC motors for AC, mostly as I have had issues with the DC motors not having enough power to deal with the snow and cold temps. I usually can MacGyver a way to get the AC motor to fit, sometime using PVC pipe to run from the AC motor to the inflatable. So I am sure you can do it also!

As far as a "maintenance" speed I would be careful with that, I think you will find as the inflatables get older they tend to need more air to stay inflated, and after a time not stay fully inflated. You can find many threads on this issue. I have also noticed that on the cold nights (under 20 degrees) my inflatables have a harder time staying inflated.
    And remember if they are fully inflated for more than 4 hours, one should seek medical attention.

sorry.
    Tory
    Happy to Show support;
    Xlights/Nutcracker and The Falcon Team [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like

If you keep them reasonable close together you could use a master blower then interconnect them with plastic dryer exhaust venting.

Post Thanks / Like

I was more thinking about having a pressure sensor that is used by a controller. If the pressure starts to drop (as would happen when it gets cold, or older inflatables leak more) it would speed up the motor (up to the initial max).

I was debating about DC control but I really could not think of any scenarios for the inflatables other than on/off. Lights within them, sure, but not the motors. If I went DC it would more be because I could find more efficient / cost effective DC motors than AC ones.

The inflatables are on my list, but I just got sidetracked with a bathroom renovation delay... so it may be quite some time.

Post Thanks / Like

Old thread, yes. But I haven't been a member that long!

I have used old hair dryers for my outdoor inflatables (as replacement blowers). I open them up, remove all guts except the motor, and drive the motor with a spare A/C wall wart. The motors tend to be lower voltage than the mains, with voltage dropped on a resistor. So, say, drive with a 13VAC supply. Naturally, lower voltage, lower speed.

Do whatever method you choose to hold the nozzle end of the new blower into your inflatable. Plug in the wall wart in whatever electrically safe way you choose.

I also break out the lighting circuit so I can control it separate. But I'm sure many on the forums have done that also.

Post Thanks / Like

I know I am resurrecting my own old thread... but... my wife keeps adding inflatables. Almost all of these new ones are running 12v DC motors and lights. Of course even she is complaining about the LEDs that come in them from the manufacturer so I have been able to replace some of those with brighter ones wired in. So far the motors are doing OK if a little underpowered. I have definitely had issues with power supplies though. Replaced 3 of them (she has 11 inflatables, 7 of the DC variety) with outdoor, waterproofed power supplies. I think I am going to be cutting off all of the ones they come with and replacing them with those, and waterproofed connectors. That way I can reuse the power for other projects the rest of the year.

So I have pretty much given up on changing out the motors, but I am definitely modifying these inflatables more.