Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bugs 3.0.10: Random Channels, Vixen Error/Shutting Down, Serious Lag

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bugs 3.0.10: Random Channels, Vixen Error/Shutting Down, Serious Lag

Ok, we are having multiple problems and are desperately trying to determine if it's software or hardware or maybe a combination.

We're running V3.0.10 on laptop with a Core I7, 4-E682, 1-E6804, and 192 Renard channels (I'll have to get more tech details from husband or son if needed)

1) Lag - we get lag on every sequence regardless if running by itself on master computer (desktop) or via the show computer (laptop) and scheduler. We've tried this on my son's desktop Core i7 (latest greatest cpu -forget which one) with an Nvidia graphics card and 24gb RAM and the individual sequences still lag. The lag is worse during the actual show, the sequences actual stop/freeze for a second or two and then catch up to where they are supposed to be.

2) Error: Vixen/Windows will produce an error that Vixen is no longer responding. The show has stopped with lights on. I can close Vixen and reopen and restarting the schedule but it eventually crashes again. I will shutdown the pc and restart and Vixen will run for the rest of the night. This is not reproducible. When this happens, it takes 10 minutes for the show to restart - yikes when we have a crowd watching!

3) Random Channels - We've had 2-3 channels that have been coming on randomly while not sequenced. It's been the same 2-3 channels but only 1 at a time. They do randomly clear themselves. Tonight, it became 1 of those channels coming on at nearly the same sequence every time. As well as 2 entire elements that are coming on while not sequenced at all. The only thing new tonight is I added an additional sequence. The laptop has been hard restarted twice since then and this issue remains. It's as if the packets of data are arriving late and/or being sent to the wrong element. I did cycle the power on the one E682 during the show tonight and it did not fix the problem.

Any suggestions???
    Last edited by pcmom; 12-17-2013 at 10:50 PM.
    Michelle
    [URL="http://www.ReddingLights.com"]http://www.ReddingLights.com[/URL]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bugs 3.0.10: Random Channels, Vixen Error/Shutting Down, Serious Lag

Hi Michelle,

Some more questions...

Re. 1 Lag: The main cause of lag/stuttering is the number of channels you have. How many channels do you have? Or better yet if you can zip up your V3 data directory and make it available I can check it out here.

Re. 2 Crash: There are many possible ways this can happen (V3 still has a lot of defects in it). The first thing to do is to check the Logs directory in your V3 data directory (if you are using the V3 'profiles' feature, you want to check the Logs directory in the Default profile directory. You are looking for an Error.log file. It *might* have some 'stack trace' info in it that we can use (but a lot of times it doesn't). One common cause of crashing can be running out of memory. Which version (32b or 64b) of V3 are you using? Have you used Taskmgr to look at the amount of memory V3 is using? (a 32b V3 can only use about 1.5GB regardless of how much RAM the computer has).

Re 3 Random: The channels that come on randomly, are they on the Renards or on the SanDevices controllers? Are you using WiFi or wired networking? Once a channel comes on incorrectly, does it stay on forever until something else happens? Are you able to leave V3 running and cycle power to the Renards and SanDevices to see if the anomaly changes?

Thanks in advance,
    Bill L.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bugs 3.0.10: Random Channels, Vixen Error/Shutting Down, Serious Lag

Here is the V3 folder from earlier today from the master pc NOT the show laptop - before I finished the We Three Kings sequence and added it to the show.

http://reddinglights.com/Vixen3.zip using the 2013 Parade profile - I just changed/edited it to our house so not elements are necessarily named correctly but the preview is correct.

1) 2900 GECE's 192 Renard channels

2) We are using the 64gb version. We have looked at the memory issue and that seemed to be all ok. When the show stops tonight, I'll get the log files to you. I did look at them last night and nothing specific jumped out at me.

3) The random channels are all E682. We're using wired networking. The channel will come on incorrectly and then clear itself during that sequence. Tonight the change was more channels came on and they would come on and do the same anomaly at the same place in the sequence every time. When I check the sequence, those channels are blank. The other difference is, that maybe the previous few seconds and/or a different element had that color. i.e., the roof was on red/green in the sequence but the spinner was off, now the spinner also comes on red/green but now stays on for 10-15 seconds or longer when it is supposed to be off and/or doing something else and eventually clears itself. Also, the icicles are doing the same - 1/2 (1 string) come on when they are not supposed to and eventually clears These two are new issues tonight. I cycled the E682 while V3 was running the show and there was no change to the anomalies.

Another issues, you will see in the "intro" file is we have the fans and spinners on solid blue but in the show one of the fans stay off but it works in other sequences.

Every time I see a flaw in the live show I look at the sequence to see if I've missed turning that element on, etc. and the sequence is correct. This is driving me crazy!
    Michelle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like

Correction to pcmom's post, we are using 64bit version with 4gb ram on the show laptop. The network is all running on an 8 port trendnet gig switch(no router involved, static ip's for all), the laptop runs at gig the SANdevices are all 10/100.

I have in fact tested this on my machine, an I7 4770k with 24gb of ram and an NVIDIA GTX 680 GPU(my high performance gaming rig) and still had a decent amount of lag, so i am wondering if there is something further going on here. in task manager vixen 3 is using 1.8-2gb ram on the show pc, so we are not memory constrained.
    Matthew
    [url]http://www.ReddingLights.com[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Michelle.
    In that zip file, is there a sequence that I can run that will show an anomaly?
    I guess I should ask if the Preview also shows the anomaly?
    On the web page for each of your SanDevices, does it show any 'sequence errors'?

Tnx,
    Bill L.

Post Thanks / Like

None of the sequences show the anomaly in the preview. The Do You Hear What I Hear shows lag at about 1:37 and I know the Medley and LightEmUp sequences also show lag in the preview. The show will be shutting down in about 10 minutes. Once it's finished, I'll zip that file and post it for you so you can see the logs, etc from tonight. No errors show on the SanDevices.
    Matthew
    [url]http://www.ReddingLights.com[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Is this show network isolated from,or part of your home network?
    How many universes of sACN in total?
    Are the renards coming off a sACN to Renard bridge (sandevices port maybe?) or directly off a com port? Do the Renard channels also show lag?

Post Thanks / Like

By the way scoutcamper, I'm taking special interest in this because I identify closely with your forum name.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lutton View Post
    Thanks Michelle.
    In that zip file, is there a sequence that I can run that will show an anomaly?
    I guess I should ask if the Preview also shows the anomaly?
    On the web page for each of your SanDevices, does it show any 'sequence errors'?

Tnx,
    Bill L.
    The show just ended and I zipped the file immediately after. http://reddinglights.com/Vixen3-1217213.zip No crashes/show stopping tonight, just lots of lag and anomalies. Every sequence has lag in it. Do You Hear What I Hear has 1 specific anomaly that has occurred for a few nights now. We Three Kings (we just added tonight) and LightEmUp have a new anomaly, different in each sequence where an entire element will come on when it's not supposed to. These anomalies are from 2 different E682s which clear on their own and have no change when the E682s are rebooted while V3 is running the show.

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    Is this show network isolated from,or part of your home network?
    How many universes of sACN in total?
    Are the renards coming off a sACN to Renard bridge (sandevices port maybe?) or directly off a com port? Do the Renard channels also show lag?
    The show network is fully isolated from the home network. It consists of the show laptop and 5 SanDevices controllers. We have 31 universes of sACN. The renards are run off of com ports and don't touch the sACN system. The Renard channels do also show lag.

I have live video of the lag in the show and/or can get more tomorrow night if that would help.
    Michelle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like

Jon, 29 universes are configured, about 25 universes data are going out (I think).
    Of those about 10 universes are all zeros (un patched).

Michelle, are you using unicast or multicast?
    I think you mentioned it, but I forget... do you have the Preview turned off when playing?

One other thing you could try... On the main windows menu, choose System/Options and change UpdateInterval to, say, 66 or even 100 to see if it helps with lag/stuttering any.

Best,
    Bill L.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast